Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What ACE scanning method are people using?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ACE scanning method are people using?

I noticed the ACE config changed recently and the scanning method is now constant, I had the spacebar method before this. Can't decide which I prefer, constant is better for awareness of who is around you, but I don't like the names everywhere.

What method are people using?
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity!

Re: What ACE scanning method are people using?

Personally I always used the constant method: it works only from close range and only on allied units (so it doesn't count as an exploit in TvT), and helps ID'ing who I'm looking at without having the command interface pop-up.
    sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

What exactly does the scanning thingy do...? :-/ Never used it before.

Comment

3 player scanning methods:

Constant - nearby players names always show
        Mouse Wheel - need to point at player and move mouse wheel to see player name
        Space bar - need to point at player and press space bar to see player name

I was always using the space bar method, but last night I played with constant scanning and agree with Merula, constant is best
        Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity!

Comment

Space bar + StHud = win
          The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse. EDMUND BURKE 1771

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin View Post
            Space bar + StHud = win
            I also use that combination. :)

Comment

What is scanning? I'd never played the single player game even in ARMA 1 so things like warfare and high command are so glitchy and confusing for me.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
              <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
              DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
                What is scanning? I'd never played the single player game even in ARMA 1 so things like warfare and high command are so glitchy and confusing for me.
                Basically by scanning we mean "pointing at a unit and have the name show up".
                In vanilla ArmA2 and OA there is the infamous "Spacebar Scanning" wich works by pressing Spacebar, hovering the command cursor on a unit and (if the unit has been spotted by the character (NOT the player) and IDed (again, by the character)) the name will show up with a range as well.

ACE2 disabled this form of scanning since it could be used as an exploit in competitive missions (although it is not as bad as most people seems to think: map contacts are actually much worse), along with ANY information in the target box (bit of a pain for pilots, since unlike RL you don't actually have all the sensors you should have, but I digress).
                The current system works so that when you look at a friendly near to you, the name will hover in front so that you can ID him properly.
                To have the name show up, you can choose between 3 methods, selectable in the clientside_config.ini file you had to modify to have the Goggles/Earplugs work:
                -Spacebar: similar to vanilla ArmA, you press the spacebar and point at a friendly to see the name
                -Mouse scroll wheel: you activate the Action Menu (by scrolling the mouse wheel) and look at a friendly to see the name
                -Constant: every time you look at a nearby friendly, the name pops up

This system has some limitations, since it shows only 1 name at a time, and the range at wich the name shows up depends on weather condition, usage of scopes and binocs, and amount of time you point at the target.
                sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...