Rocket Surgery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket Surgery

Had a round last night that ended in the mission being called and me trying to strangle my monitor with the mouse cord. I just wanted to take this time to touch on a few things that everyone should already know.

VON - DONT USE SIDE CHAT. Had to throw out several warnings last night. Guys, we have been using ACRE for a hot minute now. No one should be using side for any reason unless its an Admin or you are taking a vote for a new mission. Even before we had ACRE side chat was rarely used. Keep it in check guys.

Radio Discipline/Usage - We need to keep random comm chatter to a minimum. It not only hinders the mission, but it can actually bother other players. If you want to chat and have fun by all means do it. You guys know I crack jokes too. But make sure you dont do it every 5 seconds, or do it when things are getting heated up and you need the comms to work. Be smart about it, use common sense. If you are still having trouble using the radio, you need to get some help. Ask an Admin, ask me or zedic, ask any of the people we play with, to sit you down and show you the ins and outs. Don't just play it off and jump in mission and not know what to do. We are offering official radio classes, spur of the moment TS classes and loads of other little training sessions for players that want to get brought up to speed. For those that do know how to work them, help everyone else out! Dont laugh at them or poke fun or crack jokes, pull them aside and help them learn. Thats what it means to play at TG.

AFK - If you are going AFK, SAY SOMETHING. To many times people just walk away from the keyboard without saying anything and the rest of us are left trying to figure out what happened. Its ok to go AFK, we all have RL stuff to do. Just make sure you let someone know. I have seen someone that was AFK through 1 full mission and all the way into the slot screen of the next and no one knew. If you are AFK and haven't announced it while I am on the server, you will get the boot. I'm not doing it to be mean, or prove a point, but there are always players waiting to get in on a mission and AFK players are taking up a slot that someone could be putting to better use. I have no problem leaving an AFK player in the server, but only if you let me know whats going on. Its too easy guys.

Arcto: "Dredge, going AFK 2mins, dog puked on my kilt again"
    Dredge: "cc"

Now I know he wont be answering comms or moving for the next two mins.

Connection Problems - We all have them. We all get a random DC or CTD, it happens. If you are having connection problems you might want to consider filling a role that wont shut down an entire mission if you run into problems. I/E if your internet is going in and out you shouldnt be flying a blackhawk full of players. Because we all know that even in ArmA, Murphy's law still applies. If you are in that role and connections problems start popping up, let someone know. Let the CO know. We can either help you work around it, or adjust the battleplan. Its too easy. Don't keep quiet about it and kill 12 guys because your modem pooped out.

Alt+Tab - Everyone knows what can happen when you alt+tab out of the game and come back in. We have all seen it, done it and made jokes. I'm not telling you that you cant alt+tab while playing, just be smart about it. Put your weapon on "Safe". (double tap left control) I have seen missions almost failed because someone alt+tabbed while their weapon was pointed at an HVT. They come back in and almost kill them. Or they come back in and shoot another player, or give away a friendly position on a stealth mission. Use common sense guys.

Player Skill Level - We all had to start somewhere. Some of us are able to come in, pick up a mission and a random slot and do very well. Some have to learn the slots, the gear or the vehicle. Thats fine, thats life, we were all noobs once. What you dont need to do, is try and do things that you know are above your skill level. If you have trouble landing a helo in small areas, you shouldn't try and super pilot a blackhawk into a small LZ at high speeds. Yeah, its common sense, but I have seen it happen. Instead, you need to stay in your comfort zone. If that means turning on auto hover to land, do it. If anyone gives you flak about it, tell them to come talk to me. No one should be pushing anyone to do anything outside that players comfort zone. If your squad leader tells you to take the AT-4, but you have trouble shooting it, tell him. He will help you. This game is more than just something fun to do, its also about learning, and bonding as a community. Squad/Team leaders, if someone tells you that they can't work an AT-4 all that well dont get all huffy puffy and tell them to move to a different role. Instead, tell them its all good. Tell them that you will sit right next to them and walk them through all the steps they need to know in order to become proficient on that weapon system. I don't care if you have to take 15 minutes to help them take out 1 tank. That's what put's TG in a league of its own. Its not because we "pwn" people. Its because we come together to help raise the play level through training, tactics and maturity.

Leadership - We need you, the players, to start stepping up. Everyone here has been in the slot up screen waiting for someone to take a leadership slot, be it CO SL/FTL. I know some of you dont feel comfortable leading, or feel that you dont have experience or you will mess it up. It's ok. But the only way you are going to learn and get better, is to actually do it. You can't work on being a leader by being Rifleman # 2 everytime you play. Don't feel overwhelmed by some of the other "known" players being CO's or SL's. This is the perfect chance to learn from the guys that know what they are doing. Step up and take charge. Jump in a leader slot and tell your CO/SL, "Hey, I'm new to this leadership thing but I'm willing to give it a go". They will understand, trust me. Like I said earlier, if anyone gives you flak about it tell them to come talk to me. We have plently of experienced players around to help you learn, step up and take charge.

These are things that you veteran players should know. They are also things that some of our newer players might not know. This post is for both of you. It is too easy to have fun while playing ArmA and learn a thing or two as well. But all it takes is you not thinking 5 seconds ahead to ruin it for everyone on the server.

Have fun, but always remember to play smart.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: Rocket Surgery

*This message is approved by Socom*
    |TG-73rd|Socomseal
    |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

This message roxors

Comment

+rep

I hope everyone enjoys playing here and if for some reason the experience is not what you expected, drop us a not on the CAA or post here in the forums....we always encourage constructive feedback!!! :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

I'm always willing to help anyone out in game :)
          I helped an AT team yesterday operating the MAAWS. One guy didn't understand the markings on the scope and the assistant hadn't a scooby doo how to find range. They picked it up in 2 minutes its no biggy.

All these little tips will help things run so much smoother and most of it is just common sense but it gets the highly coveted 'KIEF' stamp of approval.

Comment

Approved, and also - contrary to popular belief, COing and SLing is not that hard. With some basic understanding of your options in directing your people you can easily throw a decent plan together. Plus there's no wrong answer in Leading. Just good ones and bad ones.

And hey - even if you fail, it's often not your fault, or if it is, you learn not to order your squads to move like / do that again for next time ;P Look at me, I used to fail massiv COing, but as of late I've been making some fairly solid plans and leading to a semi competent level ;P

Comment

Arcto: "Dredge, going AFK 2mins, dog puked on my kilt again"
              Dredge: "cc"
              I suppose i should come clean.....it was actually me that puked....the dog took the heat. I accidently drank from a can of beer full of cigarette buts.
              Nihility

Comment

Originally posted by Soupy_Norman View Post
                I accidently drank from a can of beer full of cigarette buts.
                Oh god...
                I did that countless times in college

Comment

Also opening the map screen before Alt-Tabbing helps immensely: the only time I do not use this trick is when I'm in a passenger slot in a vehicle. ;)
                  sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

+9000 for you sir

Comment

If i was a new player, playing for the first time tonight I would be gutted. I have just logged off slightly bemused and slightly frustrated after Dredge went through the effort to make such a extensive post.

Too tired to document but in essence everyone is messing around , and NO ONE bar one player (well done Richmuel) is using anything remotely like radio SOP's.

Sad sad sad.

Gnight.

Comment

It's warfare. That's what happens, I have admin now, will be fixed if you wanna jump back in

Comment

Dredge, please don't use common sense. Please? It's surprisingly absent with people who are never paying attention, or those who will want you to "Line Formation" to the ammo boxes.

Turkish
                          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Jacezz is admin now?
                            Huzzah!

Us European folks gots us an admin!

Comment

He is a voted ingame admin...
                              The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X