This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ShackTac HUD for YOMA repository?

Hey guys, have you ever tried out ShackTac HUD?

Go check it out and play a few rounds.

Basically it helps you orientate with your squad, really helpful in forests etc.
    In real life you hearing and peripheral view would do that for you, you'd "feel" where everyone just went, ingame this HUD helps a lot!
    Holding formations and spacing is also easy with that tool. You also get to see where your SL is, if the diamonds/markers are deactivated. You just can NOT remember his ingame-face and gear all the time.

I suggest adding that addon to the YOMA updates so everybody can enjoy this great addon.
    Its not cheating, usually the SQDs are rather small and there is no much confusion.

Basically, check it out if you dont know it yet, if you like it, vote for it.

@MODs - please add a poll, "Add STHUD to YOMA repository,yes/no".

Thank you for reading! :)

Re: ShackTac HUD for YOMA repository?

Because this mod is client side (only needs to be on your computer to work) we aren't going to have it as part of the official TG downloads. However, we encourage players to give it a shot as it is a very good addon for ArmA.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Hey Megagoth1702,

Glad to hear you like it. There's a thread here on the TG forums where we post about new releases for it, and I believe a good number of players here use it. Last I heard it was intended to be an optional thing, not for inclusion in the YAS repo. I personally have no objection to that line of reasoning - if someone wants it, it's easy to get. An argument could probably be made that it helps new players and would be useful to include for that reason, but it could really go either way. A poll could be interesting. In the end, though - just don't want anyone to feel that it's being forced on them. ;)

Comment

Its a great mod. I think the majority of us use it as is anyway.

Comment

There are enough vocal opponents against it's use to include it in the modpack. The TG Modpack is the required files to play at TG, nothing more nothing less. All client side content is to be handled by the clients that wish to run it.
          The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

i feel that Dsl makes a great point about the HUD helping new people, as for us putting it in the repo, we feel that since it is a client side mod, were going to leave it up the individual players. Though if the community feels that it warrants being put in the repo, then maybe we could start a poll.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Jack i think what Imp is trying to say is, we just want to stick with a base line for mods that are needed. Any client side stuff can be easily found. If we include then people that dont want it have to remove it from the mod folders.

Comment

Dslyexci, I dont know much about the Yoma updater but could the Hud have its own URL, so it's easy enough to tie in, I havn't really figured how to tie in outside mods, so I just the put Shackhud in my OA addons, which works fine, but its a tad unorganized.

Good job though, it is a very handy tool

Comment

1) ACE Sound Mod is client side and is on Yoma. ACE Sound Mod is about 100 MB, STHUD is about 26 kB.

2) The primary Yoma link can be made pure required mods, A second link can be provided for optional mods.

3) Whether a mod is clientside / required by all clients / required by the server is down to the technical requirements of that mod and has no relation to whether a mod should be used by everyone or how it should be distributed.

4) STHUD has does the same thing as green diamonds, in a different way. Turning diamonds off in all difficulty settings and and making STHUD standard would provide the lacking consistency between difficulty settings, would be an improvement over diamonds (in the opinions of me and others I've asked), and would allow players more choice.

5) Adding it to yoma would give players convenient way to download, make it easier to keep it up to date, and make sure new players who might not otherwise know about it have access. The mod would not run unless the player added it to their shortcut, causing no inconvenience to those who don't want to run it.

Summary) Adding to yoma provides a benefit to those who want to use it, and makes no difference to those who don't. Sthud would be an improvement over diamonds.

Originally posted by Eavy Gunner View Post
                  Dslyexci, I dont know much about the Yoma updater but could the Hud have its own URL, so it's easy enough to tie in, I havn't really figured how to tie in outside mods, so I just the put Shackhud in my OA addons, which works fine, but its a tad unorganized.

Good job though, it is a very handy tool
                  You use other mods the same way as the mosd you're already running, put the @sthud folder in your OA folder then add @sthud to your modline

Comment

Originally posted by Sandiford View Post
                    Turning diamonds off in all difficulty settings and and making STHUD standard would provide the lacking consistency between difficulty settings, would be an improvement over diamonds (in the opinions of me and others I've asked), and would allow players more choice.

I agree on the improvement side, diamonds always show you where your friendlys are and with the STHUD it only helps with the people who are already close to you, you still first have to find them manually and then keeping in touch is easier.

About that ACE SM - it's crap anyway, but since new users dont know anything about mods in arma2 and it's a big topic, providing them with the very very basic soud mod is OK I think...

Comment

ACE_M sound is needed because alot of the default ArmA sounds dont work with ACE. So, ACE provided a baseline model for sound to go along with ACE itself. No one has to use it, but its there because it makes things work. One of the other reasons we dont have other mods and stuff like that on yoma is because TG at large has a bandwidth limit that we must stay under. All of TG uses the same FTP, so if we load up our end of it with mods people want we run the risk of going over the bandwidth limit. It has happened before. This is why we only provide the very basic components needed for play on the server. We encourage people to post links to mods that they think other players might like. We have no reservations about that whatsoever. But we simply cannot have client side mod support in yoma.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I really don't think 26 kB is going to trouble your bandwidth that much...

Edit: can you provide any examples of what default sounds don't work with ACE? I've never noticed any problems running ACE without without SM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandiford View Post
                          I really don't think 26 kB is going to trouble your bandwidth that much...
                          No, but if we add the HUD for you we will have to add this mod for that person, and that mod for this person. And the 25kb can turn into megabytes very quickly. And if we dont add everyone elses stuff to yoma, then we are showing favor to certain individuals, and going back on our long held stance of not "officialy supporting client side mods". (By officialy support I speak of it being put on yoma)

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Non essential files required for the bare minimum supported level of game play mission requirements will not be making its way into the addon sync at this time.

ACE = Core Gameplay
                            ACEX = Core Units/Features
                            ACEX_SM = Core Soundfiles for ACEX
                            CBA = Required for ACE and ACRE
                            JayArmA2Lib = Required for ACRE
                            TGMaps = Required for Missions @ TG

---- OPTIONAL CONTENT ----
                            Anything you want from elsewhere, some things are frowned upon.
                            Somethings can cause issues with client/server interaction.

Anything generally consider clientside addition is up to the clients to manage themselves.

While ACEX_SM can be considered a clientside mod by some, it is not. This modset is required by ACEX for the new users that do not wish to run other sound mods in place of ACEX_SM. If you play w/o ACEX_SM you will be missing sounds called by ACEX.

We can all agree that there are a ton of wonderful mods out there, and many of them are very beneficial to gameplay.

TG's Modpack will only contain the bare minimum content for playing at TG with the same configuration as our servers. All action by clients past that point is their own to take.

-=-= Thread Closed =-=-

--- EDIT ---
                            To follow up upon this topic, a thread about Mods that people find useful, what their functions are, and where to obtain them would be appreciated. I know a ton of us use custom content on the servers, and sharing that with others would be a good starting point.

The current stance from the TG ArmA2 Admin team is that we will not be modifying the TG Modpack over and above the bare minimum required by server and missions at present.
                            The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X