What do you do during briefings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do during briefings?

We all know how briefings can be long and boring just before a mission for both squad members and squad leaders.
    So whether you are a squad member or a squad leader, or both, tell me- what do you usually do during briefings?

For myself, briefings is usually a good time for me to take a bathroom break and get some nom-nom just before the mission, since I'm always a squad member, thus leading me to not know what the squad is doing until we actually get into the game :) Of course, if I'm playing a high role, like pilot or SL/FTL (rarely), I usually listen with selective hearing enabled.

So what do you do?
    sigpic <--- PRO!!

Re: What do you do during briefings?

I am giving the brief 9 times out of 10......... ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Squad member - Listen for whos my SL, my callsign, radio freq and figure out where we are going first. After that I alt-tab for some lulz until I hear "OK admin, take us in!".

Squad Leader - Remember my CO, the leaders of other squads and their callsigns, all radio freqs, know what assets I have in my squad, then alt-tab for some lulz.

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
        I am giving the brief 9 times out of 10......... ;)
        The other 1 time hes putting holes in the shape of smiley faces in all the reserve chutes and using the excess cuttings to reinforce his own.
        Nihility

Comment

As co - observe the map, notes, pay attention to type of enemy being faced, what we got to take em on. Objectives also (obv). Identify good advance lanes with good cover appropriate to what we be shooting at / being shot by. Or improvise and make do with next best. Take suggestions from SLs, Fire team members, etc, act on them or debate my original idea. Set basic stuff up, make sure everyone is at least partially aware of the plan, etcetera

Sl - Same as above, except I'm not briefing, but I do suggest other avenues of approach / amendments to plan if I think we might be better doing it a different way, debate this with CO if necessary. (Note if CO goes with original order I follow it, although I will admit I'm more often than not extra wary of my concerns with it and usually act to put some form of damage protection on just incase - i.e. I don't like that we are exposed to the east, I will form echelon left/right, whichever is east, for that time, move slower, split the FTs up and move in bounds over that area, or whatever seems like the best thing to do at the time. All situational.)

Whew.

Really though, even if you are in as a rifleman you should be aware of what the squads are doing. Situational awareness fail often happens because you have no idea where anyone else is moving, where they are moving to or what they are doing. Leads in the worst cases to Friendly fire.

Friendly units usually do call friendlies out when they get eyes on, i.e. friendlies left or somesuch, but you don't always have this luxury, especially when under fire and already stressed.

Comment

Squad member - I like to go over my gear, the map, and the notes (or anything else that's pertinent in the OpOrder) and if theres time before my SL starts babbling what our specific orders are, I'll check the gear of my squad members to see what we have as a collective.

And sometimes, after all that, I have enough time to make dinner, use the bathroom, and get a drink. lol

Comment

Most briefings are long and boring because most people have no idea of how to give a briefing. The best format is SMESC using the standard 5 paragraph op order:

http://kilby.sac.on.ca/ActivitiesClu.../OpsOrder.html

A simple way of applying this to arma is just to use one-two sentences per item. It should take 5-10 minutes for the actual briefing. What i mean by this is, you should CAREFULLY read and internalize the mission information, and then talk for 5-10 minutes. You should not rush through reading, and call for silence if people continue to blather. Letting hyper players use side chat until the briefing starts is OK.

SMESC is basically a "Check list" of things you need to go over to have effective command and control. Without going through those items, C2 is ineffective at best and impossible at worst.

Also, IRL you would have your squad leaders acknowledging your orders, because they would be surrounding you during a briefing. In the game, make sure everyone acknowledges your orders, and if you suspect them of just "Yesing" you to death, quiz them on what they should be doing. i.e. "Champion 1'1, what is your task at battle position zulu?"

Back-briefing as a squad leader involves most importantly:
              1. Review of the tasking by the PL or PSG, essentially a small briefing as it applies to the squad
              2. Appointment of fireteams, fireteamleaders for maneuvering by fire
              3. Indicating succession of command
              4. Reaction to contact drills - i.e. what do we do if we get engaged, what do we do if we see tanks, what do we do if we get artyed etc
              5. Ensuring everyone knows what fireteam they are in, and what their role within the squad and team is. In a mission with ammo boxes, this is very important. It's up for a squad leader to assign assets, its up to team leaders to ensure assets are utilized.

Comment

Well, the first thing I do regardless of role is read the notes and tasks, and then look closely at the map, so that I can remember where we start and where I'm supposed to go (we really need to have the map always visible to everyone during the briefing phase, even when in-game we aren't equipped with those).
                Then if I'm a lead position, I'll follow the briefing while taking a few notes (callsigns, and so on).
                If I'm a simple grunt I'll still follow the briefing (much easier now that we use ACRE/TS3) and if I cannot do that (command decides to use Command Channel rather than Side Channel, pretty much obsolete now) I'll just read something or turn on the TV trying to kill time, waiting for the briefing to end, and then having to listen to my squad leader try to give us an abridged version of the plan. :icon_bigg
                I also like to rummage through my squadmates inventory. :p
                sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Take a minute to watch something funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsh0mOYfkSs

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

Originally posted by blackmain View Post
                    Take a minute to watch something funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsh0mOYfkSs
                    No wonder you always get lost during the missions :p

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Alt+tab, 4chan.

Sapientiam Autem Non Vincit Malitia

Comment

Wait for people to talk on side so I can kick them :3
                        The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of TacticalGamer.com or of any other TacticalGamer ArmA Administration member, reader discretion is advised.

Comment

Originally posted by w-cephei View Post
                          alt+tab, 4chan.
                          Doesnt seem to want to let me make a smiley.... :D
                          Nihility

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement