No announcement yet.

Irish Defence Forces doin' some damage!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Defence Forces doin' some damage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXQp8...ure=popt00ie06

Re: Irish Defence Forces doin' some damage!

That video has pretty good sound quality for youtube. 0:53 when the round comes overhead is awesome. Then the snap and crackle of what I'm guessing is 12.7mm from some sort of armour shortly afterward. Reminds me of a vid a guy did with an MG42, he fired into a berm directly in front of the camera. The sound was terrifying.

How are they targeting shipping containers though? I'm guessing with direct fire since the javelin isn't angling way up in the air?

EDIT: The first and third? shots might be regular fire mode. They seem to have quite an arc.

Comment

I think with a Javelin you can target pretty much anything. Very complex weapon.
      Yea they seem to be testing out all sorts of fire modes.

Comment

I don't know about the first shot, but the second and third looked like they were set on Direct-Ground mode: even if it is set on Direct, the Javelin will still climb somewhat in altitude (the farther the target, the higher it will climb), but it will hit the target from the sides instead of dropping almost directly vertical.
        sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

Ye the first one is at a decent range alright. Hard to tell. Wish I could fire one of those haha.

Comment

And there goes the IDF, firing around 240K worth of ordnance with a weapon they will never ever use in a combat situation. Go Ireland!!! :D
            Nihility

Comment

^
              I was going to say, thats a bit of an expensive training session; especially how the economic situation is over there. Unless of course the IDF is planning to take on heavy armor in the near future. =p

Comment

It's probably the only Javelin training that will ever take place haha

Comment

Might have been their only jav, so they just said **** it lets launch this before it rusts!

Comment

More than likely haha!
                    How much does a Javelin launcher cost? Or a Javelin round?

Comment

I'm wondering who they would think they would use it against, Russian tanks coming over the channel on ferries? Britain rolling in f-ugly challengers to reinste Prima Noctae?

Seems like a rather expensive and specific weapon for an Island country to deploy.

Oh well, at least you have them, here in canada that would buy us a navy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kief View Post
                        More than likely haha!
                        $125,000 for the launcher. $50,000 for each round. I believe Ireland is the smallest military that is actually in possesion of a javelin. Its quite odd. Theres only like 15 armies in the world that have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kief View Post
                          More than likely haha!
                          Well, the Command Launch Unit (i.e. the boxy thing connected to the tube) costs around 125.000$ apiece, but it's reusable, so ideally you would only need one or two per battalion.
                          The launcher (tube assembly with the missile) costs around 40.000$ the unit, so it can get expensive.
                          Fun fact: did you know that ideally a single US Army Stryker Platoon (3 infantry squads + 1 command squad + 1-2 M240 squads and 4 Strykers) carries 1 CLU and 4 Javelin tubes per stryker? :icon_bigg
                          sigpic

Now with 200% more content!

Comment

To be fair, we have some decent equipment :D When you think about it there isn't anything we could really use them against haha, but it's good to know we have some extreme tank killers. I would join them only they aren't recruiting at all because of the recession :( And JESUS that's some serious money!

Comment

While the ROI of killing a multi-million dollar tank with a multi-thousand dollar missle looks like good fiscal sense, that multi-thousand dollar missle of Ireland's is probably a much higher % of GOP than the likely invading nations % of GOP on that tank. So it very well could be a net loss financially in combat.

Especially if you only have one per battalion. It come with a lorry to take it to where the tanks are invading to plink away at one? A couple jav's aren't going to scare an invader.

A squadron of F22's flying over Korea's skies though...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X