ArmA2 Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmA2 Suggestions

I'd like to get a discussion started here on TG about possible tweaks and features for ArmA2. There are a few things to focus on, and they are as follows:
    - Accessibility
    - Interface
    - Controls
    - Visuals
    - AI
    - Gameplay

Specific features, changes, etc, are useful. Broad stuff like "Improve the interface!" is not.

This feedback will be used in crafting developmental/feature requests and may have a real influence on the end product. So, if you're interested in helping to improve the game, take a few minutes and sketch out some ideas.

Bear in mind that ArmA2 has an ETA of around a year, so suggesting really broad-ranging changes is counter-productive. Focus on things that are realistic to achieve in a short term project, and bear in mind that there are many small tweaks or features that would be extremely valuable to invest in due to the investment/reward ratio, and thinking up these is a very rewarding route to take.

As a caveat, posts that include the word "Evolution" or variations of it being used in a sentence (ie "like in Evo") will make me very sad and you will feel bad when you see the frowny face that follows in reply. :(

Re: ArmA2 Suggestions

Like in the evolution of man I hope that as time progresses ArmA will become a more rounded, visually more appealing, more intelligent and all around more perfect combat simulation.
    In any event I would like to see a slightly more robust flight model. As far as flight dynamics are concerned I think ArmA currently is a good balance of realistic flight characteristics and a usable model. However I would like some depth added to counter the 'jump in and fly' situation common in ArmA currently.
    A few specific recommendations would include:
    1.More realistic start up procedures, perhaps there could be some igniters to toggle, a battery to turn on and a longer spool-up time.
    2.The ability to switch primary controls between pilot and copilot, sort of like how manual fire is now only with flight controls.
    3.Higher resolution gauges, to reduce reliance on that little box on the upper left hand corner, in fact if possible remove it completely.
    4.Actual sights for the unguided weapons. Right now there are cross hairs comparable to those on the ground forces, however I think there are ironsight systems that go along with rockets in real life, I'd like to see these modeled.

Comment

VOIP, VOIP, VOIP. Did I mention VOIP?

I would definitly like to see a better control module for setting up games, we waste too much time setting up ingame.

I will compile a list if you desire of things that are tweaks, but that will have to wait until tommorow.
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Hoy View Post
        A few specific recommendations would include:
        1.More realistic start up procedures, perhaps there could be some igniters to toggle, a battery to turn on and a longer spool-up time.
        2.The ability to switch primary controls between pilot and copilot, sort of like how manual fire is now only with flight controls.
        3.Higher resolution gauges, to reduce reliance on that little box on the upper left hand corner, in fact if possible remove it completely.
        4.Actual sights for the unguided weapons. Right now there are cross hairs comparable to those on the ground forces, however I think there are ironsight systems that go along with rockets in real life, I'd like to see these modeled.
        5.Possibly even a throttle flood (like PRM has). If someone tries to just hold down the throttle while its spooling up.. it will flood and slow down considerably.

*edit- btw Great thread Dys, Ill be sure and flex my moderation muscles of any posts get rediculous and unproductive.
        Dizlor

Comment

VOIP is probably the only thing I'd like to see done better.

Well, maybe collision detection too. I once saw AI walk through a car. It could have been lag or it could have been really weird collision detection (or lack of).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

1. Realistic head movement. Include gimbles for the eye. Looking over your shoulder is possible, yes your head doesn't turn completely around, but I can see behind me. This would be greatly appreciated instead of using a MOD.

2. Realistic animations for all weapons. AFAIK I don't use the same motion to unload an M4 as I do a M246.

3. Spotter class for sniper. A sniper is only half good alone, give him a Spotter and increase his deadliness. A spotter and spotter scope would be very helpful.

4. 6DOF for TrackIR users. Being able to look slightly over a low wall, or lean forward over a ledge to check out what is below.

5. VOIP, as mentioned before, a good working and structured VOIP would be extremely helpful.

6. Improved AI. From moving, to shooting, to sight and aim, to following orders. Everything can and should be improved IMHO.

Will add more later. School now :(

Comment

Originally posted by J.Agnew7 View Post
              6. Improved AI. From moving, to shooting, to sight and aim, to following orders. Everything can and should be improved IMHO.
              This is what I would like to see the most...since most of ArmA is coop in some form or another (which I like), improved AI is absolutely essential. Here are the big AI issues IMO:

-AI should react appropriately to suppressive fire (there is a neat script out there now by second that does it but it should be organic within ArmA).

-AI should use suppressive fire where appropriate.

-AI should utilize cover more effectively.

-AI should be able to be tasked to "watch" and area more effectively.
              LoyalGuard

Comment

Interface

- Internet: Make it possible to make a favourite list for servers, something that has been around for decades.

- Inventory: Let me specify the amount I want to take and don't auto load me - give me the option,

- Kit Loadouts: When choosing a slot before entering the mission, I should be able to know, at the least, what I'm carrying. At present you pick a slot and it's pot luck what you get or you have to tediously load the map to find out what stuff you have.

AI

- Stop the AI from running through objects.

- Re-work the way the AI spot and engage you dependant on whether you are moving, in concealment, sun direction, weather, their skill level (i.e. bored guard or expecting attack?), light level, sound level (do they hear vehicles approaching?).

- When coming under fire from distance or close by, don't make them all stand around in the open, make them find cover, return fire, pop smoke, etc.

Gameplay

- Animations: Several things here need addressing.

1) Changing weapon - If a soldier comes around the corner I should not be paralysed to the spot whilst I go through the animation of grabbing whatever weapon. Any movement should interupt the process and/or make the weapon be dropped.

2) Changing Stance - I do not need to stop, kneel and then stand up before I can continue to walk. These should be seemless animations that comply with what a realistic body can do - currently I feel like an idiot who cannot move properly.

3) Reloading - Again this needs to be interruptable with the chance of loosing the mag/round/etc.

4) When I hit the prone key don't make me run 20 paces. I want to dive as soon as I hit the key.

- Binoculars: I should be able to move with these and also be able to use them from any turret.

- Backpacks - It would be nice to see these modelled so we can carry more kit, with the added disadvantage of...

- Weight restrictions: The more I carry, the slower I move.

- Round Chambered: When reloading and I have a round in the chamber, I expect to see the magazine count+1 (e.g. 31 rounds in an M16).

- Flight Model: Seriously rubbish and needs reworking.

- Improved avionics: Helmet mounted HUD for choppers, improved HUD for jets. Get rid of auto lock and make it more realistic (i.e. you actually have to target a vehicle rather than just point in it's general direction).

- Using objects to stabilise: Ala red orchestra - being able to rest your weapon on objects to give better stability.

- Raise stance: I'd like to be able to duck down behind cover and raise myself to pop up over the top and fire, then duck back down again.

- Collision detection: Maybe it's just me but it seems as though rocks have an invisible shield around them and are bigger than actually drawn on the screen.

- Grenades: Don't make them bounce like they are rubber and give us a power setting - we don't always want to throw them as hard as possible.

Thanks.
                Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by loyalguard View Post
                  This is what I would like to see the most...since most of ArmA is coop in some form or another (which I like), improved AI is absolutely essential. Here are the big AI issues IMO:

-AI should react appropriately to suppressive fire (there is a neat script out there now by second that does it but it should be organic within ArmA).

-AI should use suppressive fire where appropriate.

-AI should utilize cover more effectively.

-AI should be able to be tasked to "watch" and area more effectively.
                  Agree very much with the above quote to which I add.
                  1/ AI should attack more when threatened or when they detect the enemy they're too static IMO. IE In particular when recon / sniper if you shoot the ground anywhere near them they will drop and more or less stay where they are such that if they were on patrol you can select when to fire so that they will be most exposed. Then you work your way along the line picking your target, breathe out, fire and kill, move on select target and start all over again.

2/ That my KB delete button does just that in game too so that I can drop weapons etc when selected.

IMO
                  "I like a man who grins when he fights"
                  Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

- Make it possible to crouch without a weapon in your hand.

- Riyker mentioned having the binocs in a lowered position so you can move around, then when you 'zoom' in, that's when you bring them up to your eyes. I think this is an excellent idea.

- When going through doorways with your weapon up, DON'T stop me walking sideways through it. Make my weapon move for the object (Look at the way vietcong brilliantly does this). I should not get stuck for something I would do in RL. When passing through narrow gaps, I should automatically move my weapon down/out the way and then bring it back up when I'm past the obstacle.
                    Jex.

Comment

Sorry, I'll leave the realisticness of things to you and the BI devs:

- Accessibility

-Much more intuitive editor or at least much more noob friendly documentation. For example saying in the biki you have the put this or that in the init field is swell, but if you don't link to what an init field is a noob is not gonna get it. Just recruit a team of noob mission makers and see what problems they run into and fix that. If the main thing keeping people from making great missions is not a lack of ideas, but the unnecessarily difficulty of editing, then you're waisting a lot of potential content. A steep learning curve is okay, just provide newcomers better tools to overcome it.

- Interface

- Much more robust squad interface/functionality. Allow gaming groups/clans to set up preset squads/fireteams, which can be locked for members of that squad/FT.
                      - Allow people to form new squads/fireteams, to become squadleaders/FTL (permission may be required), join squad/FT.
                      - Allow admins to permanently tag people as clan/group/community members or MP's (sort of soft admins) to allow them certain/limited admin powers (and have a IN GAME GUI for the appropriate admin powers). Basically allow admins to create, name and safe to server admin groups with different levels of admin powers and permanently tag people as belonging to one of these groups.
                      - Allow admins to permanently tag people as a member of a certain squad to get preference in prefixed squads/fireteams.
                      - Allow admins to permanently tag people with rank and make the game recognize it's hierarchy, again to give higher/highest rank certain powers (to take or assign command, to kick people from server etc.)
                      - Allow admins to grant platoon, squad and fireteam leaders predefined powers (kick people from squad who are not following orders, move people to other squads, assign kits, start a mission etc etc.)
                      - Make it easy for people to see before AND in game who is in their squad and who is FTL, SL, PL.
                      - If a platoon/squad/fireteam leader dies automatically transfer control to the next in rank or who ever is assigned as back up.

- Summarizing, make a semi-automated integrated graphic admin/squad interface that makes it very easy to organize and if necessary discipline a server population at all time.

- Have a working VOIP that allows automatic synchronizing VOIP channels with sides, fireteams, squads in game and also prohibits dead people to communicate with alive people.
                      - Allow people to listen into channels they are associated with so they can prevent interrupting ongoing communication (this is a regular TS problem currently).

- Controls

-Allow for analogue movement and stances. If somebody comes up with a gaming keyboard with an analogue key section (like this one: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/i-can-fly...eys-283181.php), ArmA2 would be able to support it and allow for much more sophisticated and intuitive movement and finding cover than we have seen so far in games.
                      -Currently you have three speeds (normal, double tab, shift) with analogue movement you would have any movement speed you'd like just by controlling the amount of pressure applied to the forward key and you would be able to do this in all 4 directions.
                      -IRL you want to be as small a target as possible, with only three stances you can't hide as well behind objects as you would be able to IRL. If stance keys would be analog you could fine tune your stance and more objectives more effectively as cover.
                      -Allow weapon resting on objects like Red Orchestra
                      -Allow climbing over low and higher obstacles
                      -Group/squad respawn, make people respawn after a certain amount of dead people reached a certain number or a certain time has reached (better if possible to set for each squad separately).

- Visuals

- I know it will probably take too much development but a really good easy to use face editor that allows such detailed faces that players (especially when regularly using the same weapon loadout and preset squads) might not require nametags anymore to recognize their squadmembers. Oblivions face editor comes to mind, but as said prolly takes too much development.

- AI

I appreciate that Bohemia wants the AI to be as good as possible. Personally I couldn't care less since I consider 70% of the impact of realism is waisted when playing coop.

- Gameplay

-Add more vanilla, realistic (persistent) TvT content, which focusses both sides objectives on a limited sized area at the time, without taking away the tactical freedom that the large map of ArmA gives us. In my view TvT is the ultimate form to play ArmA (with the right numbers/missions) thus BI has to give the right example and show people what ArmA TvT can really be like and not only come up with coop and not very well working or gamey TvT.
                      -Have a gametype where points are gained by getting objectives (and less important enemy kills) and lost by losing subordinate personal and assets. Thus someone who gets the job done with the least casualties gets the most points, thus points reflect leadership skills better.
                      Last edited by Taxi; 09-04-2007, 04:22 PM.

Comment

lot's of good suggestions so far....

- Add a "description" field in the mission browser (either as pop-up or mouse-over) so you have something to help you choose a mission by beyond just the name.

- Add ability to climb over objects like short walls and fences. It's just silly to have to walk around a fallen tree or curb.

- Wider FOV in aircraft, especially helo's. Peripheral vision is a key part of operating close to the ground - knowing where you are in relation to that tline of trees/building/whatever. If the default view in helo's was 'zoomed out' a bit, it would make things a lot easier.

- Wider FOV for soldiers. I'm not sure about this, but it's something to revisit. IRL, you're peripheral vision is quite important to SA. If there's a way to graphically incorporate a wider FOV, that would be great. One trick would be to use a trick some wide-screen TV's to stretch 4:3 content over a 16:9 screen - to keep the subject matter undistorted, they leave the middle 75% of the screen untouched and then 'stretch' the sides. Something similar might be tried here to enhance peripheral vision. Where the very sides of the screen show a wider FOV than the center. (I realize that's probably costly in terms of performance.) Actually - kind of reminds me of those little 'bubble' mirrors some people put on their car's side mirrors to show the blind spot...

- Add documentation about tuning your system for better FPS. I think the game can run pretty smoothly if tuned properly, but that's very difficult to do. For some reason, people get better frames on 'high' than they do on 'low'. An explanation of why that is and how to take advantage of it would be very very helpful (and appreciated).

-

Comment

Dialogs:
                          Allow them to have a "mouse active" or "mouse inactive" state. This would allow us to use dialogs as a HUD element, but toggle the player's control from the dialog mouse to the character. From a mission creator side this one change would allow us to drastically influence the game experience without resorting to action menu items or ungainly TitleRsc coding.

Comment

Let me be clear here, if I wasn't already.

If you use extreme hyperbole to get a point across, especially if it's worded negatively, you're not going to accomplish anything with me.

Also, if you make comments where you slam an entire broad system but don't give any specific ways to improve it, you've accomplished nothing.

If you want to make a difference, approach this with a level-headed, calm, professional approach. The more negative, hyperbole-laden comments I read, the less interested I become in that person's feedback. Most of you have done very well in that respect so far, and I appreciate that more than you know. However, there are a few posts here that are quite the opposite.

Comment

Its not on that list but, is audio an area to be tweaked ?

TBh, Ive tried a couple different sound mods, the one I currently use is the BPARealSound mod. It adds some very nice ambient sounds to the game which I think make it much more immersive. It adds windrustling thru trees, crickets and other bug sounds, as well as the sound of the wind whisping by the open sides of the LB. The stock weapon sounds are pretty nice, but I guess what Im really on about is more better ambient sounds. I know wind doesnt really effect anything, but it does add a really kool touch to the game imo.
                              Dizlor

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X