No announcement yet.

Bohemia Interactive slams Codemasters over marketing of Operation Flashpoint 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bohemia Interactive slams Codemasters over marketing of Operation Flashpoint 2

Just posting the news:

Bohemia Interactive slams Codemasters over marketing of Operation Flashpoint 2

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Bohemia Interactive slams Codemasters over marketing of Operation Flashpoint 2

What I find hilarious is that BI waited so long into this. With the now impending court battles, this will really screw up the release of OFP2 and linger in the courts. Codemasters will be out a ton o money and be late to the market!!! Good on BI....
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Re: Bohemia Interactive slams Codemasters over marketing of Operation Flashpoint 2

Nah, I think CodeM will settle this, they see the demand for OPF DR and know timing plays a crucial role in gaming so expect a backdoor deal. They have been in this game a long time.
      |TG-Irr|Duc748s

sigpic

Comment

Lol. Arguing about Copyrights. There is no such things as Copyrights on the internetz.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
        The BigC

Comment

It's been like this for a while. From what I heard, CM had the rights to the OFP name. Making the original engine doesn't necessarily mean that CM can't make a sequel to it. It's probably more complicated like that, but this happens a lot in the gaming industry, rights get sold or given off, games are made inder the same name but different engine and team. Quite common.

Then again, when the OFP2 media update was released a few weeks back, they did change the name to OFP: DR, maybe the lack of the figure "2" had something to do with BIS.

Comment

Perhaps Codemasters naming their much advertised product as just 'Dragon Rising' was the 'settlement' Rather than using '2' as Harpo mentioned.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

From what I've seen, OFP2 sure doesn't seem like any sort of sequel to OFP.

Comment

The key is "from what we've seen". I won't slam the game until I play a demo. Sure, it's no Ultra realistic war sim (then again, neither is ArmA), but I will still play it, I think it will be good. I trust CM.

Comment

Ehhhh...

Legal St00f.

| |

Comment

Once again it sounds like lawyers are going to make a bunch of money.

If we want to nit pik, one could argue about how BIZ is marketing ARMA "II" without an new engine. Maybe I'm old school, but in the old days any game with the title "2" meant a whole new engine, otherwise it was just an upgrade patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobruk View Post
                      Once again it sounds like lawyers are going to make a bunch of money.

If we want to nit pik, one could argue about how BIZ is marketing ARMA "II" without an new engine. Maybe I'm old school, but in the old days any game with the title "2" meant a whole new engine, otherwise it was just an upgrade patch.
                      Battlefield1942
                      Battlefield Vietnam
                      Battlefield 2
                      Battlefield 2142

Neverwinter Nights 1
                      Knights of the old Republic 1
                      Knights of the old Republic 2
                      Jade Empire
                      Neverwinter Nights 2
                      Alpha Protocol

All in the same "old" engine. A new engine won't magically fix everything.

Skychief/Icewind.123/Icewindo
                      Stargate Mod / Random stuff

Comment

Skychief, I think he's referring to games like Quake, Flight Simulator, Unreal, and many others that a new game means a new engine.

But anyway those times were different, the graphics cards were always ahead of the games, not like now that you have a game, that you can only play in full settings with the next graphics cards generation.... This cycle of "new games->new graphics cards" is getting out of control and is just unbearable for us.
                        sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Jorge has hit it right on the head. Game engines are being developed too far ahead of the current technology. Developers want to say "Hey, look! Our engine is the most intricate!". Unfortunatrly, I think BIS are falling into this hole, too. Sure the graphics are amazing, but there will be bugs. Also, they say it's a whole new engine, but from what I've seen, there are a lot of borrowed parts from ArmA.

The best game engine is probably Source, looks great on High-end PCs, plays extremely well on Low-end PCs. Why don't more developers follow the success if this type of engine?

Comment

Source has some good traits but it isn't perfect and it is designed for it's own style which is completely different than the arma/ofp style. Source wouldn't handle 300 squared km islands, but it handles really detailed, smaller maps just fine.
                            |TG-Irr|LCpl. Soto
                            TGULT-Roel Yento

Comment

I hate to say it, but its probably a desperate attempt to get some money. BI has had funding issues in the past, so I've heard, with ArmA. I think we're seeing a dirty corporate war technique initiated on BI's side. I say boo on BI.
                              Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X