Will ARMA2 run better than ARMA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will ARMA2 run better than ARMA?

Speculation time, unless of course you are a beta tester.

My question is, considering that ARMA2 is being specifically optimized for multi-core CPUs, do you think that it will run better (on a multi-cpu) than our current version of ARMA.

I am jonesing for an i7 system but want to wait until $$ come down a bit, especially the mother boards.

Re: Will ARMA2 run better than ARMA?

Originally posted by Tobruk View Post
    Speculation time, unless of course you are a beta tester.
    NDA's would prevent that even if they knew.

My question is, considering that ARMA2 is being specifically optimized for multi-core CPUs, do you think that it will run better (on a multi-cpu) than our current version of ARMA.
    I would like to think so. On the other hand, I remember the whole 'theory' of how OFP -> ArmA would result in a performance gain. That didn't quite pan out the way we expected. On the other, other hand, A2 seems to have been designed with performance enhancement being a core aspect of it, so... maybe? ;)

I think that once it comes out, anyone who is fairly serious about it (meaning - it's a core game to you) will want to upgrade regardless of their settings, just to make sure that they're running it at the best res/details possible. Might as well wait for the game to come out before worrying about such upgrades, though, since - as you noted - prices will continue to fall in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
      NDA's would prevent that even if they knew.

I would like to think so. On the other hand, I remember the whole 'theory' of how OFP -> ArmA would result in a performance gain. That didn't quite pan out the way we expected. On the other, other hand, A2 seems to have been designed with performance enhancement being a core aspect of it, so... maybe? ;)

I think that once it comes out, anyone who is fairly serious about it (meaning - it's a core game to you) will want to upgrade regardless of their settings, just to make sure that they're running it at the best res/details possible. Might as well wait for the game to come out before worrying about such upgrades, though, since - as you noted - prices will continue to fall in the meantime.
      Very true, it just that if the game were to come out as early as May, I may break into a cold sweat and make a rash purchase in this austere time.

As it stands now, my current rig just doesn't cut it with ARMA eventhough it is AMD dual core 4200. I need till about July to spring for an i7 rig.

Comment

I hardly think an i& rig will cut it, a decent dual core should run it low, Quad Core to be best, and i7 to brag about. Hard to say, they screwed up with the ArmA optimisation, so don't hold your breathe. Then again, if there's one thing I've learnt in life is hope.

Comment

I would say going from past history of BI it wont be very well optimized overall at release but 3-5 patches down the road it would be decently optimized and by the 6th to 8th patch it would be as optimized as they claimed it would be at release.

Comment

Some screens Maruk posted long time ago:

Attached are some brand new ArmA II screenshots for your reference (screen grabbed on my gold old rig: Core2Duo 6750 2.66 GHz + GF8800GT/512 + 2 GB RAM):
            (I assume this means that this is everyday settings with OK framerates, and not just bumping up the settings for show)

ftp://downloads.bistudio.com/www.arm...ArmA2/uh1a.png

ftp://downloads.bistudio.com/www.arm...ArmA2/uh1b.png

And here is the rig they used to showcase Arma 2 to journalists on GDC 08:

#GIGABYTE MA790GP-DS4H
            #AMD Phenom 9650 X4 Quad-Core, 2.3GHz
            #4GB (KIT 2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz PC8500 CL5-5-5-18 OCZ Platinum Edition XTC
            #SAPPHIRE HD 4850 Toxic, 512MB DDR3
            #SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.11 500GB

A respectable, though somewhat aged rig.
            Last edited by sparks50; 04-07-2009, 08:13 PM.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Indeed, the specs are pretty common, but it is powerful enough. No game needs (or should need) and i7 at this stage.

Comment

I expect it to run better, because of multicore support and hopefully cleaned up program code!

Comment

Yes, but they are also adding graphical stuff like Bump mapping, Parallax mapping, Dynamic shadows, New shaders etc. To eat up the performance gain :p

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

what would arma be w/o the freeze frames..this is a simulation aspects and helps recreate the confusion of war :P

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
                    The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Wowzers thats really funny the specs of the showcase are nearly exactly identical I have the same CPu and GPU and 4 gigs of ram.

As long as there is man there will be wars-Albert Einstein

No man,No problem-Josef Stalin

Comment

Can someone give a total noob like myself a rough impression of how well arma runs on a 3870 and how it might run on arma 2.

Just wondering if I'll end up dying because the other guy can see me a mile away but I cant because the gfx wouldnt stay above 30fps.

pr for example tends to use alot of video memory, well over 512mb. Is this the same for arma

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by sparks50 View Post
                          Some screens Maruk posted long time ago:

(I assume this means that this is everyday settings with OK framerates, and not just bumping up the settings for show)

ftp://downloads.bistudio.com/www.arm...ArmA2/uh1a.png

ftp://downloads.bistudio.com/www.arm...ArmA2/uh1b.png
                          Those shots look awesome and my rig is nearly twice as good. If it looks like that on my pc I 'm gonna be more than happy :).

It 's about time games start using multiple cores.
                          Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
                            Can someone give a total noob like myself a rough impression of how well arma runs on a 3870 and how it might run on arma 2.

Just wondering if I'll end up dying because the other guy can see me a mile away but I cant because the gfx wouldnt stay above 30fps.

pr for example tends to use alot of video memory, well over 512mb. Is this the same for arma
                            Ram and CPU are most imprortant, 4 gigs and a q6600 is what I run, my gfx card is sub-par with a nvidiaGTS8800. Runs 10000 view distance A ok.
                            |TG|Ghost02
                            TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I cant imagine a quad being needed for this unless there is 50 ai troops it needs to control, I guess that would do it

Im going to keep running a 6800nu till after I see it just because prices of graphics cards will fall mean time

Will there be a demo of this, has it been mentioned. If its out in germany end of this month shouldnt a demo be around by now

Is that a gts 512 you use or a 320

My rough aim is for 4gb main memory and hopefully close to 1gb on the graphics card, that should do it I would hope so but Im not upgrading my dual core as I just dont believe it will be needed and I wont get arma2 at all if its just about AI as I prefer unpredictable real players.

Not bothering with opfp most likely even though I heard its got the best heli physics in a fps
                              A 4890 would be the ideal card for this game?

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X