X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New preview after press event.

Lots of info in this preview from Rock-RKSL:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5694

Some interesting quotes for those who don't have time to read the entire preview right now:

Lastly one feature that did please me was the "Interface Size" option in the video settings. This toggles the default large icons to a smaller and less intrusive size.

Injury system
    This promises to be another "game changing feature". Gone are the days of a shot in the leg killing you immediately. Now it seems you can just take your time to die. The injury system has had a massive revamp. We were told that you can now sustain varying levels of injuries ranging from minor wounds that can be fixed with basic first aid to wounds requiring you to be taken offsite to a field hospital. Combined with the ability to drag a wounded comrade to safety its an interesting feature set to add to ArmA2's impressive library.

In the interest of objective comment, I feel that I should say the system wasn't demonstrated to me, just explained. The AI I shot didn't really seem to get injured, they tended to die quickly at close range. I suspect the injury system will come into play at longer ranges than I was playing with at the time. But nonetheless if it works half as well as it was described to me then its going to add yet another compelling dimension to SP and MP games.

The question of max number of players was brought up and answered. The max suggested number was 64 for stable and practical use. Much after that its assumed there will be issues with the netcode etc. However it was also said that a lot depends on the network lines and server at that sort of loads so there really is no set figure.

Off the edge of the world
    There has been some speculation about the main Chernarus "island". What lies to the north and western borders?

Well yeah its land. Right now its not entirely usable but its there. The current build we were shown - this will change apparently, what to we don't know - basically extrudes the border's terrain profile out into infinity. So if you have a hill straddling the border its profile will just continue off into the distance.

I have to say I wasn't impressed by this. There are a lot of words I could use to describe this "feature". Disappointing is a mild one, I'll stick with that for the moment. Jan (BIS) did go on to say that there was an effort under way to ensure it was textured and randomised but even so I felt it just left the north side of the island feeling unfinished.

Publishers - North America and Australia/NZ
    Again one of the most popular questions I was asked to pose. Well its mostly good news. Mark from 505 confirmed to me that 505 Games would be publishing ArmA 2 in the Land Down Under. And the AU/NZ release date will be "weeks not months behind the European release"!

As for North America. There is no solid info. All the BIS and 505 guys said is that "discussions are preceding".
    Keep an eye out on the forums for more information regarding this.

Modding
    I was assured that ArmA1 modders wont have a huge learning curve to overcome to bring their own addons in to the ArmA2 game engine. Its going to take some config/model.cfg work and the majority of community made content should port over fairly easily. Of course this depends on how complex the addons are.

For those of us who develop heavy scripted systems however in light of some info released on the BIKI there maybe some awkward issues to face.
    See the Forward Compatibility Section - http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/A..._Compatibility
    Even then I suspect it will be a case of the community finding news ways to work within the limits.

I also asked the obvious question. When do we get the tools! Unfortunately the 505 guys couldn't really answer that but they will not come together with the release of the 505 version.
    The tools remain the sole domain of BIS.

Summary
    There's a lot of good, not much bad and no really ugly.

There are a lot of impressive features in this game. Huge amounts of subtle detail really, I'm usually fairly cynical about marketing claims but ArmA2 is the first game in a long time that has actually made me say "wow" out loud and in public!

And for the first time since OFP: Resistance I am itching to play a campaign. I am impressed with the visuals, environment and the scale of what BIS have managed to achieve. And I am extremely excited by the modding possibilities of the new engine and commands.

There are some "bad bits", but that's mostly down to personal tastes. I confess I was a bit disappointed by the size of the main island 225 sq Km sounds a lot but it in reality its rather small at ~15km a side. Sahrani is much bigger. But the huge amount of the detail packed into those 225 sq Km is amazing. I confess I had hoped that BIS would give the aircraft a more extensive overhaul turning the ArmA franchise from a Infantry biased sim into something closer to a proper combined arms system but I am sure the community will work on that!

What do we think
    Rock-RKSL
    All in all I am very impressed. The new capabilities, the new hemispherical shaders and game play aspects make ArmA the best tactical shooter I've seen since BIS' original Operation Flashpoint appeared in 2001. I suppose the obvious questions to ask are "Do I recommend ArmA2 and would I spend my money on ArmA2?"

Simple answer: Yes! On both counts. Its the engine that ArmA1 should have had from the start. You can see the effort and thought that has gone into it. Pay the money, play the game and have fun. I am confident that this is going to kick the crap out of Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

Foxhound
    As all other community members till yesterday I had to read the info posted by other website, magazines and gaming communities to get an idea about Arma 2 and what it would give us.
    However I was confident the product BIS would release would be up to our standards and yesterdays press event prooved that to me. Offcourse as you have been able to read above not everything is "all of the best" and I am sure at release there will be bugs and different things which people will not like. But that is where this great community steps in, there are so many people capable of making or changing just that what is being missed all BIS have to do is provide a solid base for the community to build on.
    With Arma 2 they have done that to my opinion. You will be able to enjoy this game from the day you buy it while we know as soon as the community gets up to speed it will only get better!

As I said on Twitter, I can't wait to get my hands on this game, call the company I will be out of office for some time and play 24/7.
    Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Re: New preview after press event.

well sounds like aircraft in arma still suck :(

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
    The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

very nice preview! they did a good job about talking on most features, too bad no multiplayer was setup though, that is a pretty enormous oversight i think for any arma community press event.... it could mean multiplayer is still untested or not ready?

he made a mention on the weapon animations, but he said they were just "better". But the animations in arma1 like reloading, deploying etc are really just placeholders... they arent real animations... so if its only "better" than i imagine its not much improved, but this is just aesthetic. Hopefully the reload times have been reworked so you cant reload an M240 in 3 seconds with broken arms :P

I like previews more like this where people speak honestly instead of sounding like another press guy... especially spilling the beans about what they were disappointed with i think is very foretelling and makes arma2 very promising sounding, hopefully the next previews will all be about multiplayer.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
        I like previews more like this where people speak honestly instead of sounding like another press guy...
        You know.... some people may read that that assume you were referring to our own review of the game, care to clarify?
        BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Nope didnt mean to imply the TG preview was bad or anything, I just thought this preview was nice, it could have been more thorough but I did appreciate that he went into dxdiag and told us their preview machine specs :)

and he also told us what all the settings were on, that kind of small details made a good difference I think along with telling us what he actually observed and some of the shortfalls hes noted already.

Thanks to Jason (TG nick Jas I believe) for putting a preview up as well!

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
            very nice preview! they did a good job about talking on most features, too bad no multiplayer was setup though, that is a pretty enormous oversight i think for any arma community press event.... it could mean multiplayer is still untested or not ready?
            Well we know now it SHOULD run stable up to 64 players.

Originally posted by preview
            MP - PVP and PVE
            For me a good game is one I can play with my mates. I'm not really into SP gaming anymore. ArmA 2 is shipping with MP features that Armed Assault did not have at release. An upgraded version of Warfare will be available out of the box. There were hints of possibly other missions/formats but details weren't forthcoming at the time. One interesting MP option was confirmed however. The rumoured option to play the SP campaign in conjunction with others in a full MP CoOp was confirmed. You can each take a role in Team Razor and play your way through the campaign cooperatively! A rather nice touch I thought.

The question of max number of players was brought up and answered. The max suggested number was 64 for stable and practical use. Much after that its assumed there will be issues with the netcode etc. However it was also said that a lot depends on the network lines and server at that sort of loads so there really is no set figure.
            I also love the fact that we will be able to play the entire campaign coop up to 4 players?

Found another preview:

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/arma_2/preview-1736.html
            Last edited by Ghost Dog; 05-22-2009, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Nope didnt mean to imply the TG preview was bad or anything, I just thought this preview was nice, it could have been more thorough but I did appreciate that he went into dxdiag and told us their preview machine specs :)

and he also told us what all the settings were on, that kind of small details made a good difference I think.

Thanks to Jason (TG nick Jas I believe) for putting a preview up as well!

Comment

Eurogamer hands on:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ar...ands-on?page=2

and their screenshots page:

http://www.eurogamer.net/gallery.php...ition=1#anchor

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse