Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused about requirements.Must be better optimized.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about requirements.Must be better optimized.

Swore I wasn't going to do one of those "will this run it.." posts but I'm a little confused. Don't really understand all the high techie numbering thingies anymore. Miss the old Pentium 600 faster than Pentium 120 , GeForce 4 faster than GeForce 2 etc.

Anyway , for you edification...

PERTINENT INFO:
    O/S WinXP SP2 Home Edition. 2 G RAM.

CPU :
    BIS Recommends - Athalon 64X2 4400 (or higher)
    I have : Athalon 64X2 4200

Video:
    BIS Recommends - ATI Radeon 4850 512 M
    I have - ATI Radeon 3850 512 M

As you can see I'm (AFAIK) barely below recommended specs for ArmedA2 yet ArmedA1 has to be run at reduced graphics to run smoothly in SP mode (unless I'm doing something wrong in the graphics settings) so , unless I'm totally way out in left field , the game must be optimized OR their minimum specs are out to lunch.

So in your opinion , do you think this aged relic (referring to my computer..not me :D ) will handle the game? I'd rather not upgrade just yet as I have a feeling in a couple of years my computer will be worth thousands as a collectors item. :madsmile:

or..hmmmm.. just had a thought...maybe it has something to do with ArmedA2 utilizing both cores instead of one..maybe I wont have to upgrade after all.....
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Re: Confused about requirements.Must be better optimized.

I think ARMA II might actually run better than ARMA I, the engine is optimized and now has better support for multiple cores. Based on what I 've read you 're system will probably be able to run it on a combination of medium and high settings.
    Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

I actually see you running mostly on med. with a few lows.
      They recommend the 4850, but the power of the 4800 series was a HUGE jump over the 3800 series. It really suprised all the tech sites how good the 4800 series was, and is the reason ATI is back in the game VS. Nvidia. Some people had written them off. Considering you can get a 4850 as cheap as about $100 after rebates now, not that hard of an upgrade to consider. Even better of course would be a 4870 with 1 gig of RAM which runs at $150, or an Nvidia 260 for about the same price.

CPU is decent, but not great. You might be able to do a bit of overclocking to help out some.

The 2 gigs of ram should be fixed for sure though, considering you can get a 4 gig kit of high end stuff for like $30 after rebates. If you need some help picking the RAM out there are lots of people here that will be happy to help. Lots of recently released games are now using more than 2 gigs of ram, and if it isn't there for the game to use the game suffers. Look at World at War for instance. It will happily use over 2 gigs just for the game.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. What a confusing kerfuffle.:row__690:

Can get an ATI 4870 with 1 gig of RAM for about $250 (Canadian) and less off e-bay and as you said , memory is readily available.

CPU - can't do anything with that. Socket 939 and that's about the highest CPU I found for a reasonable price. 939 Dual 4400 was selling on e-bay for > $400. Don't think so Tim.

Plans were to build a totally new system for ArmedA 2 (all my business app's and other games run just fine on this one) but I've been "stung" a couple of times upgrading components before I actually got the game (ie Crysis , CoD 4 , Far Cry 2) then found out I didn't like the game at all. (game play wasn't to MY liking). The missus would inherit this machine as she really enjoys NWN1 and is getting into modding as well.

ArmedA1 I have enjoyed but really wanted to try ArmedA2 first to see if it actually is an improvement over 1 (though it certainly sounds like it , but then again sequels always do).

The VC I could easily transfer so it may be worth the investment , even if it makes ArmedA 1 run better on my current set up. Couple of Gig memory wouldn't hurt either and not a major investment.

Never know..might even haul this thingy online if things improve as promised and join you guys. :icon6:
        [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Something to think about though with your current setup is how good your PSU is. If it isn't over 500watts, I probably wouldn't recommend getting anything higher than a 4850. But you can get a decent good name brand ~650watt PSU for like $70.

Newegg canada has the 4870 1gig cards as low as $209.

Also, I'm sure you motherboard won't be able to take the fast DDR2 ram speeds that are out today, so might want to consider doing a full upgrade and here is why. There are a bunch of really good games coming out soon, not just ARMA2. Operation Flashpoint2 might well end up being a good game, and offer something you like that ARMA2 doesn't. And there are others. I know how you feel about upgrading for a game though. I did for Crysis because of a mod team working on that game, but the game was a letdown, and there has been a dryspell of other games since for me. But lots of good games out in the next 6 months or so.

Just as an idea to plant in your head, you could get an Intel e8400 CPU for $199
          http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...5037&Tpk=e8400
          (wow, it is $169 in the US),

and a Asus p5q-pro motherboard for $139
          http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813131299

and some 1066 speed high end Corsair RAM for $55
          http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820145215

add in the new power supply (which I guess in CAD would be more like $85 for a really good one)
          New SATA harddrive for like $65
          new SATA optical drive for $35
          and the GFX card of your choice, and you would be rocking any game to come out for a long while.
          Of course if you are going to keep the current rig as a spare, another $75-$125 for a new case would be needed. But if you spend the money now on a good high end case it is something you could keep for a decade though many upgrades.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just an FYI with the corsair, there is a high likley-hoood of the ram being DOA.
            |TG|Ghost02
            TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost02 View Post
              Just an FYI with the corsair, there is a high likley-hoood of the ram being DOA.
              Maybe a like 2-5% chance at the very very most, but that is pretty much the same as with all RAM. And of course the higher end cutting edge stuff is more likly to be buggy. The 1066 and 800 speed stuff has been out long enough now that shouldn't be a problem.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

From personal experiance, all the ram I got from them was DOA. I am probably just unlucky.
                |TG|Ghost02
                TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I run Corsair with no issues... Just a bad batch apparently..
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                  ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I have had a set from Corsair go bad. But the reason I bought Corsair was because of the lifetime warranty. Sent it back with no questions asked really and they sent me new stuff.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

well they have that lifetime warranty i am sure so they can cut corners and make it cheaper. give or take that being a bad thing i don't know.

Comment

ummmm.......remote
                        Corsair is considered pretty much the BEST ram there is, and it is why when tech sites are doing a bench build they use it. Please don't post comments like that unless you are able to back up your point.

It sounds like you are saying they would be selling a better product if they only offered a 1 year warranty, or none at all. Does that really make any sense?

A lot of Japanese cars had really good warranties when they first showed up, like Honda and Toyota, and idiots said it was because they were so bound to fail they had to. Is it any surprise right now with what is happening with Chrysler and GM? They offered crap warranties till they had to compete with foreign brands that beat them on reliability.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I can only say good things about GSkill memories and they are cheaper then Corsair.
                          sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...