Situational Awareness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Situational Awareness

I seem to have no idea were people are in Arma 1 or 2 ..... are there any tips on how to spot guys before they are on top of me? It would be nice if there was a visual clue on where the enemy is. I'm just playing with the Armory now.

Re: Situational Awareness

Originally posted by majormauser View Post
    a visual clue on where the enemy is
    Hehe, sorry I can't help this but, yes they are the guys with the guns shooting at you.

Anyway, seeing them before they see you? Just move slower, with 180 degrees scans constantly while zoomed in.
    Before you judge a man, try walking a mile in their shoes first. That way your a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Well at least the leaves could start rustling like you do all over the map. It sounds like a herd of elephants every-time I run anywhere. The enemy should do the same.

Comment

One thing is you can goto 3rd person view. Using this is going to help but its totally like cheating and is not very realistic. I think there should be more feedback with the position of the enemy when they get in your killzone (pun intended)

Comment

Just like real life man, the bad guys aren't going to stand up and wave and shout "hey, I'm over here, and you get first shot".

The moving slowly and peaking corners, as well as constantly stopping, crouching down and scanning your surrounding is realistic and how you survive. If you are running into bad guys constantly and getting killed, you need to slow way down. This isn't BF2 or COD4. Got to take it nice and slow. :D

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

If I recall ARMA had red and white (yellow???) coloured dots as peripheral indicators.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobruk View Post
              If I recall ARMA had red and white (yellow???) coloured dots as peripheral indicators.
              Yes so does (just checked) ArmA 2 .... I see them on my team little white dots going outside of the screen. I have not noticed them when a enemy is sneaking up.

I understand what ArmA is and where its roots lay. Realism.. But when soldiers don't make a sound when charging up to you in full pack gear.... there is something fishy... and not realistic.

Comment

If u play on the easiest setting in ArmA 2 the enemies have red dots on them.

Comment

Originally posted by majormauser View Post
                  Yes so does (just checked) ArmA 2 .... I see them on my team little white dots going outside of the screen. I have not noticed them when a enemy is sneaking up.

I understand what ArmA is and where its roots lay. Realism.. But when soldiers don't make a sound when charging up to you in full pack gear.... there is something fishy... and not realistic.

Welcome aboard majormauser. Glad you found TG.

In a properly set up TG ARMA infantry squad we'll have an experienced person or people up front on point. They will relay the proper info to command about threat assessment-direction, bearing, threat type, etc.

As Bamboo said if you are being killed on chance engagements you are moving ahead too quickly. Use those binocs as much as you are using that rifle and you'll find your k/d ratio improving dramatically.

Of course without a properly organized squad the equation changes dramatically. I've been away for a bit but so I'm out of practice but I'll be running organized infantry or mechanized infantry squads on the TG servers in the very near future. Look for me when you are on. I'd be glad to have you.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I have a similar problem since I'm fairly new and play on a 15.4" laptop monitor :P I typically end up as an ammo carrier or getting extra medical supplies, carrying bodies back from the front for medics to heal, etc. I just have a hard time seeing enemies way out there or aiming at them since the dots get so small and everybody else kills them first. So I just do whatever mule assignment needs done.

I think there are some missions available that require you to only stealth about. That may help your moving too fast.
                    ArmA
                    Ingame: Snoopy
                    Job: Mule

Comment

In ArmA 2, it's even harder to spot enemies and that's if you play the professional difficulty. No red dots, no crosshair... just your eyes and the mouse and keyboard. The camouflage blends in quite well... i once jumped when I ran by one of my teamates laying on the ground. But I like it that way. Keeps people from rushing in and makes them more aware of their surroundings.

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

Originally posted by nthamma View Post
                        In ArmA 2, it's even harder to spot enemies and that's if you play the professional difficulty.
                        The camouflage blends in quite well...
                        Aye, this is very true. Somehow the units don't stand out of the background anymore like in Arma1, but blend in quite well. Recognising friendly from the enemy is also very difficult at times, because everyone uses some kind of murky green or brown camouflage, and several factions use eastern weaponry.

Comment

Im so glad they fixed that, in Arma you stood out like a sore thumb almost anywhere, but in Arma 2 camouflage actually has a purpose. The only bad thing is that the heightened grass layer over distance that was introduced in a Arma patch, seems to be gone in Arma 2. Hopefully we will get it back.

To illustrate this feature, heres a image from Dslyecxis tactical guide :

Last edited by sparks50; 06-02-2009, 02:22 PM.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Originally posted by sparks50 View Post
                            Im so glad they fixed that, in Arma you stood out like a sore thumb almost anywhere, but in Arma 2 camouflage actually has a purpose. The only bad thing is that the heightened grass layer over distance that was introduced in a Arma patch, seems to be gone in Arma 2. Hopefully we will get it back.
                            This IMO is Arma 2's biggest flaw/bug right now.

The AI sees straight through the wonderful grass. At ALL ranges. YOU can see players crawling around in the grass 400m away, if you have height, they are screwed. Completely.

Gone so far as to set my terrain detail to very low simply to avoid the incredibly frustrating event of "get shot by AI through grass from 70m". Made playing anywhere but DENSE woods and towns not very possible. You get killed incredibly fast.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X