Clear All

• My Computer doesnt like ARMA II

My poor computer can barely handle her!

Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP2
    AsRock ConRoe 1333-d667 V.2 MoBo
    Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz
    1 GB 667 SDRAM <<<<<<<<
    EVGA Brand Nvidia 8800 GTS 320 MB
    And with just under 2 gigs left on the HD!

I'v Ordered 4 gigs of RAM and a new 1TB HD
    Should be up and running in a few days, guys!

Re: My Computer doesnt like ARMA II

Winchester your processor is killing your FPS for sure, I would hold on the ram and upgrade the cpu also. If you have 250-300$ available, you could buy a new phenom II x4 (quad core cpu), board, and 4gb of ram.
    sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Actually, as cheap as ram is over here in the USA right now Jorge, he should go ahead and get 4 gigs, as long as his motherboard supports it. You are right though, that CPU is a major bottleneck, even more than the 320mb gfx. card.

But also, I bet his biggest problem of all is his computer is having to use tons of v-ram to play the game. That means it is using the harddrive as a ram subsutute, and that is very VERY slow. And it is even slower because he has almost no room left on the harddrive. So more RAM would help him a lot. Probably a lot less studdering and more FPS.

If you haven't ordered yet and need some help picking parts, shoot me a PM.

But I like Jorge's suggestion of dropping a few hundred $$ on a new core components even better :D

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Now that's why I haven't seen you around in ArmA 2... I was wondering what was taking so long for you to install it haha

You have a dual core CPU with a frequency of 2.8 GHz? I think you should be fine if you are upgrading to 4 gigs of RAM. I have a dual core with a CPU frequency of 2.1 GHz and 2GB of RAM with the 8800gt and it's quite smooth running ArmA 2 in low settings of course. I'll probably will need to get an extra gig of RAM and I should be fine. I hope to see you in game soon!

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

Yeah, more RAM will probably make it run better, but to make it run good you 're gonna have to get a dual/quad core CPU... which will probably require you to buy a new mobo... which will probably require a new type of RAM so depending on how much cash you wanna spend, I 'd think twice before buying just new RAM. :)
          Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Dog View Post
            Yeah, more RAM will probably make it run better, but to make it run good you 're gonna have to get a dual/quad core CPU... which will probably require you to buy a new mobo... which will probably require a new type of RAM so depending on how much cash you wanna spend, I 'd think twice before buying just new RAM. :)
            The Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz is a dual core processor. He should be good to go with the RAM he is getting. =)

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

Originally posted by nthamma View Post
              The Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz is a dual core processor. He should be good to go with the RAM he is getting. =)
              I stand corrected, it was one of the first dual cores. In that case the RAM will indeed help a lot, since you 're probably running on virtual memory now (your HD, which is also low on space) as Bamboo mentioned.
              Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Originally posted by nthamma View Post
                I had a Pentium D 930 (3.0 Ghz) and that thing is worst then a core 2 duo at 2.4Ghz :p
                sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Jorge is right again. Not picking on anyone's system here, just saying.
                  The Pentium D is pretty weak compared to the Core2 that replaced it. Even a slower Core2 will be much faster than a higher clocked D, and you can easily overclock a Core2.

Newegg actually has some killer deals running right now, like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.197499
                  That is an awesome cpu/motherboard combo for $270, then you send in a rebate for $15 bringing it down to $255.

Throw in a good 4gig kit of ram for around $30, and you have a killer setup for under $300. That would give you a huge boost if you are wanting to hold off till the next gen gfx. cards come out at the end of summer.

If not, add a new gfx card, which could be a 4850 for around $115, or a 4870 for around $150, or a 216 for around $175, or a 4890 for around $215, or a 275 for around $230, and you have a rig that would be happy playing ARMA 2.

So a complete overhaul for as low as $400. If you do need a new powersupply to handle the load there are some good ones for about $60, and you could jump up to a quad core if you wanted for about $30 more.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Forget my previous post.

I decided to take a shot at a recertified EVGA GPU from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130427

I thought it was a good deal...even if I do get stiffed the $30 rebate.

One question...Do both the power ports need to be plugged in or just one ...I'm thinking suddenly that is a dumb question.

existing-

Athlon 4800 X2 Dual Core
                    Corsair 2 GB ( 1gb X 2 )
                    EVGA 8800 GT (512) old

new -

EVGA 280GTX 1GB

We'll see if I can hold off on new RAM as that will be money down the tube before too long if I upgrade my cpu/mb/ram set up as I'm thinking.

Thoughts, Bamboo et al.

Thanks in advance.
                    Last edited by Grunt 70; 06-03-2009, 04:59 PM.
                    sigpic
                    |TG-1st|Grunt
                    ARMA Admin (retired)
                    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I agree on the Core2Duo. Mine is only a 6400, but it's still plenty fast for most games these days. I think most of the newer CPUs are ahead of the current games for once.

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130475

Boo...I'm looking at the above card for purchase. You know my box I think.

Athlon 4800 X2 Dual Core
                        Corsair 2 GB ( 1gb X 2 )
                        EVGA 8800 GT (512)

I'm thinking an additional 2 GB of RAM (WIN XP Pro:row__589:)
                        and the new EVGA 275 will keep me happy with ARMA until I spring for a new Intel chip and motherboard.

Thoughts, Bamboo et al.

Thanks in advance.

Grunt, my current setup is:

Intel E6700 Dual Core 2.66GHz (O.C'ed to 3.2GHz)
                        6GB Corsair DDR2
                        Gainward GTX275

Same card as I have almost, I recommend getting one of mine, or in fact any with the extra fan, it actually reduceds noise, and keeps things cool and clean. However, the card is huge, I mean HUGE, so make sure you have room. My previous was a 8800, and it is small compared to the 275. The 8800 was no small card either....

Currently on ArmA 1 I can max everything out at 1680 x 1050 resolution on my 22" and get a 10000m view on the ground, and still be around the 60 FPS mark in MP. So it is a BEAST of a card, and I recommend it. Extra ram will help, I currently dual boot to XP 32 and W7 64, I use XP mainly for my games though including ArmA due to FRAPs and W7 not being friends, and so I only use 3.6 gb of RAM, so 4 will be plenty for you mate!

Comment

re read my post. I changed it after I changed my mind. I think I'll be happy :-). My bottleneck will still be the Athlon 4800 X2 Dual Core as it's stuck at 2.4...I've had a devil of a time trying to OC it but there is just no headroom on that chip for OC'ing.
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post

One question...Do both the power ports need to be plugged in or just one ...I'm thinking suddenly that is a dumb question.

Its a beast, it'll need both and a psu over 500w i think

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I think I'm clocking in with a thermaltake 650 w. PSU. We'll see how that handles it. I run very few other peripherals so hopefully that will do it. should be good. I've liked the reviews I've seen and I'm so glad I'm not an early adopter. I saw a review that listed that card's launch price at around $650. Yikes...$400 less a year later. Wow.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed