Are players using in game VON??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are players using in game VON??

Although, the VON in ARMA works okay, most multiplay servers seem to turns important feature off. My presumption is that it lags the game in some way.

My question is whether or not ARMA 2's VON is currently being used by the multiplayer community, or are they still turning it off?

Re: Are players using in game VON??

I have not played Arma 1 anywhere else than on TG for a long while. But with Arma 2, I have played on random public servers and on most, VON is indeed turned off. And probably, one must be glad about this, because most of them are "real" public servers with a crowd one does not necessarily want to listen to. ;) Also, the amount of cooperation on the servers I played on is so low, it pretty much only means not to shoot people on the own side. What good does VON there?

I do not think it has anything to do with performance issues (since it is most likely the exact same code as Arma1 except for the 2 new channels).

Comment

Originally posted by bert View Post
      I have not played Arma 1 anywhere else than on TG for a long while. But with Arma 2, I have played on random public servers and on most, VON is indeed turned off. And probably, one must be glad about this, because most of them are "real" public servers with a crowd one does not necessarily want to listen to. ;) Also, the amount of cooperation on the servers I played on is so low, it pretty much only means not to shoot people on the own side. What good does VON there?

I do not think it has anything to do with performance issues (since it is most likely the exact same code as Arma1 except for the 2 new channels).
      Well I can't say for sure but consider this, all BF2(PR) public online games have their ingame voice features active. I have yet to come across a server where it was not enabled.

In ARMA 1's case very few have it activated outside of TG.

So we can conclude either there is a technical problem that prevents people from using it or, as implied, the ARMA player base is less mature than BF2(PR).

I doubt that the latter is the case.

Comment

Could it be that VON did not work in Arma 1 until recently (6 months or so..). So for the products intial 12 month+ span folks moved to a more reliable Teamspeak platform to communicate. Perhaps that as a matter of custom folks are still using TeamSpeak. I know that TG is ahead of the curve on this but I know the ARMA TS channels are still hot even though in Game VON is active.
        I am sure that IN GAME will get tested on TG's servers right out of the box and then tweaked backwards if needed. But if it works as Well as current ARMA (not bad, but not as good as BF2) there shouldn't be a problem.
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

ArmA's VON has been working for well over a year mate, I have no doubt it will all be tickety-boo for you guys soon! ;)
          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Now that there presumably will be a command channel in voip(only commanders and squad leaders can hear it/use it) I think TS will be even less used.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Tobruk View Post
              So we can conclude either there is a technical problem that prevents people from using it or, as implied, the ARMA player base is less mature than BF2(PR).
              Since VON poses (for a long time now) no problems on any servers I have it seen used, one can not conclude that it's a technical problem. If you really want an answer, ask the admins of the servers where VON is disabled.

Originally posted by sparks50 View Post
              Now that there presumably will be a command channel in voip(only commanders and squad leaders can hear it/use it) I think TS will be even less used.
              Yes, the "Befehl" channel does exactly that (according to beita, it's called Command (or was it Commander? *gg*) in the english community translation), it's group leaders (does not matter if squad, FT, or whatever).

Comment

Its a great addition for the way we play on the TG servers, its not fun being a grunt when the VOIP is being used constantly for commander and squad leaders communication. You cant report enemy's properly etc. So well done to BI for that one.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog1-22 Reg.SAS View Post
                  I have no doubt it will all be tickety-boo for you guys soon! ;)
                  Did you Swear at us...?? Admin abuse!! He Called me a Tickety-boo!!.. Apo!!
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                  ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

2 years ago when the game released, I believe there were some technical problems with it, plus people didn't know how to even enable it or open the right ports, etc. It is much better quality now than it was when Arma 1 was released.
                    ArmA
                    Ingame: Snoopy
                    Job: Mule

Comment

Lots of theories about why VON is not well used in ARMA, but still no one was able to answer if any multiplayer servers that are up with ARMA2 are enabled. Perhaps a bit too early for this question.

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
                        did you swear at us...?? Admin abuse!! He called me a tickety-boo!!.. Apo!!
                        lmao....
                        BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Played with it cpl times in coop campaign an both times it appeared to work fine then i started getting these wierd noises an saw a players name appears on a hot mic an then sounds like there rubbing to mics together or somthing then boom ctd. Have no clue less maybe i need to buy a sound card lol. All my money went on 9800GT an 2 gig of ram.
                          "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle."
                          "To show you what a difference retirement makes. Last year when I gave an order, 541,000 men and women jumped," he explained. "Now I can't even get the plumber to come over."
                          Norman Schwarzkopf

Comment

So silly to turn VON off for a game like ArmA 2, it defeats the biggest purpose of MP, strategy and teamwork.

Comment

VON is broken in current Arma 2.

My theory on how to avoid CTDs and horrible, horrible screeching is this: use either ONLY direct or ONLY the other radio channels. Whenever someone transmits on Direct, then on another radio channel, there is a high chance of a CTD. The sound that is formed before the CTD is highly annoying and earsplitting, that I do not really want to TEST this theory too much.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X