2 player coop on dial up???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 player coop on dial up???

My best bud still is in the dark ages with dial up (lives on a farm). We want to do the campaign in coop. I would host on my broadband connection and he would be on dial up.

Any chance? BTW we have managed on Arma, but it ain't always pretty :)

Re: 2 player coop on dial up???

Kinda doubt it, the campaign is intensive enough as is SP. I may be proven wrong though.

Comment

Not a chance. Hope your friend likes ping in the thousand-plus millisecond range.

Comment

Ping wont be the problem. Might be in the 300 - 400 range but it's going to be bandwidth. I'm amazed that you were even able to connect together with ArmA.

I doubt DU will be able to cope but you never know till you try.

Wait for the demo (it's supposed to have some online stuff) and give it a go then.
        There's always the week end LAN get together option as well.
        [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Why does bandwidth matter, whats being transmitted besides player and ai coordinates

Seems feasible to me especially if you were ok on arma because i doubt much changed with netcode
          Much as I would like some kind of parabolic evolution in physics calculations and communications for multiplay i dont see it happening in a few years only

56k modem is about 10kb download and 6k upload I think. In terms of coordinates thats alot of numbers, in terms of pictures sure its not alot but thats not being exchanged?

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Minimum specs say a broadband connection. There is a LOT more transmitted than simply coordinates. Looking at the source of the missions, it sends entire cutscene sequences and stuff. Hell, I have a semi-broadband connection and was getting lag/desync when trying to play the campaign.

Comment

doesnt add up to me. the cutscene is 1 players creation?, unless its unique information it does not consume bandwidth because both players already have the game and its contents to arrange

netlimiter is a program that'll show with a graph and numbers how much arma2 uses every time you play it. bf2 for example wont exceed 56k modem bandwidth but the ping is a factor

windows network connection will also show data transferred in a session

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I will report back with the demo.

As for the theories, my friend does play Battleground Europe and that would require major amounts of positional information updates due to the hundreds of players at any one time.

And so that would be the issue. Perhaps it would be related to the high poly counts on the graphics. That is one of the reasons that BE has such piss poor graphics.

Comment

high poly counts is purely a local rendering issue, the total object could be represented by just one byte as both parties have a copy of it already

With the battleground europe, I played it briefly and didnt notice much net load. If they have coded it with any sense they'll not transmit information about an infantry man 10 miles away because logically his sphere of influence doesnt extend to this player nor effect him, its on a need to know basis I would expect and arma I think would be similar

arma might have really crap netcode, not sure but theres lots of ways they could make it really quite undemanding or compact like a cipher

Doom years ago had really bloated network code, it flooded the whole lan I remember reading. I think they've got past these issues, on counter strike I read a really good discussion of server generated physics and unfortunately the game was limited in its realism by this

I think this is still true today and its kinda disappointing because I wouldnt mind globally reported exact terrain deformation and unique bullet ballistics but its all simplified afaik and so therefore low bandwidth, not for the sake of Mr. 56k but for the server load issues and costs of hosting I think

eg. 10k bandwidth times 64 players is 640k server upload per second or 55 gigabytes transmitted per day
                  My dsl package doesnt cover that :icon_lol:

Some of the guys who build or order TG servers would best answer this question I think

Comment

56k modem dowload speed is about 5 kbytes per second, maximum 7KB

I play WWIIOL Battleground Europe almost everyday since 2004... and beleve, its a s#!7 load of information that need to be delivered to many many players... every single bullet fired in game is accurately calculated (kind of projectile, velocity, angle of impact, distance, initial velocity of the bullet, armor penetration, et cetera). Just imagine a single fighter firing a short burst at another moving plane. Now multiply it for 30 fighters. Then add 10 maybe 20 tanks doing pretty much the same. Now add 50-70 infantries... These are the numbers inside the "sphere of influence" (visibility range - bout 4km) easily found on a medium sized battle. Dude, beleve me, its a lot of bandwidth. I used to play that game on my 56k modem years ago and it sucked... Of course, the big chunk of this data is delivered to the server only.. but there is still a lot of traffic between the server and evey single player. Too much for my 56k modem anyway. But if you say that he can actually play BE (and kill something i hope), i bet ArmA will be a walk in the park.

The piss poor graphics on BE are because of two main things. 1st CRS (the team behind the game) sucks (lol) - 2nd the in-game rendering is different of any other FPS game. The method found on almost any game is called something like "tunnel rendering" or "tunnel vision" - that is, your PC will render only what you actually see. In BE almost everyting around you (except trees, bushes, etc) is rendered all the time. Dont know why, they said it was because cheating related stuff. Anyway, if they tried to make your GPU render everything around you (4 or 8 km around you), in details like ArmAII, not only your GPU, but your entire PC would explode.

Back on topic...

I also used to play OFP with the same 56k modem and it was fine, except for the exausting almost-infinte time all my friends had to wait every time we choose a new mission. But Coop mission were perfectly playable. PvP were kinda unfair, cause sometimes people reported that i was warping here and there.

Dont know about ArmA or ArmAII... I bet there is much more data then the good ole OFP... probably he will experience some lag issues from time to time... tell him to be ready to see units warping all over the map, especially on some intense mission during the campaign. And be ready to start missions over and over cause of connections lost...

Edit: Hey Tobruk, whats your friends name in BE?
                    Last edited by Sorvete; 06-25-2009, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Back off Topic.. I wish WW2 OL would have worked out better. It was a great concept. I played last year in one assault and it was neat..but it took forever to get into the game.. With a newer engine (Heck..even the Unreal engine ) this would have been AWESOME.. Maybe someone someday will redesign and FUND this huge project..

..BACK ON TOPIC
                      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse