Flares?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flares?

Didn't want to create a new topic for this but don't know where else to ask...

What 's up with this? no flares in ARMA 2?
    Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Re: Flares?

Apparently not ... maybe some future patch, but I wouldn't hold your breath ..

Comment

I'm pretty sure there are at least M203 40mm Flares.

Comment

I think this is about Aircraft countermeasures. Flares and chaff.

Comment

Originally posted by beita View Post
          I think this is about Aircraft countermeasures. Flares and chaff.
          Yes, that 's what I meant :). All attack choppers/planes have flares, so why not in ARMA 2?
          Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Oh right. Things like this make me hope/wish ACE2 would come out in like a mini form with some fixes to big yet small problems like fixed, rather than having to wait for EVERYTHING.

Comment

Seems a shame to have to wait for a mod for such a fundamental feature.

Comment

I just hope ACE does a better job of the flares in ArmA 2 - the ones in ArmA 1 were far too effective. As an example of how much, I was once firing Stingers at a KA-50 in the editor with a static launcher, when the KA was hovering perfectly still. It took about 8 missiles to down it because every time I fired it would release a flare, and even though the flares were right on it (as it was hovering) they still somehow blocked the damage. Plus the fact that AI pilots release them the instant you fire means that point-blank shots which in real life would be almost impossible to react to let alone avoid don't hit the target.

It's pretty frustrating using a Stinger in ArmA with ACE, knowing that even lining up a perfect shot against a low-altitude slow-moving chopper very likely won't result in a kill or even much damage.

Comment

From the creator of the F16 module for ARMA 2 i heard the flare system is already in the game but not activated yet. It might be that it wasent correct yet and they will open it in a future patch. If not ACE will do i guess.
                  A day of battle is a day harvest for the devil

Comment

Yea for the guys that dont have arma 2 yet the AAA is very dangerous ingame atm, unless your hugging the ground a tungusta can shoot you down at 4000-5000m and you cant do anything to stop it becasue the missile travels that fast!, sometimes you can see them coming towards you and you can roll left or right to try and trick it but it will still clip you and you tend to crash anyway - mind you its better than just exploding.

Comment

I think that we have been used to the ACE features for so long that we've forgotten the way the original game was played.
                      Currently, TG uses the ACE mod which has those nifty features included.
                      I'm sure the ACE mod for Arma2 will have such features once it's ready for the community.

Speaking of countermeasures, I would prefer some kind of work around to enable the MANPADS to be more effective against the AI pilots.
                      Purely for mission editing purposes.

Originally posted by Inq View Post
                      Yea for the guys that dont have arma 2 yet the AAA is very dangerous ingame atm, unless your hugging the ground a tungusta can shoot you down at 4000-5000m and you cant do anything to stop it becasue the missile travels that fast!, sometimes you can see them coming towards you and you can roll left or right to try and trick it but it will still clip you and you tend to crash anyway - mind you its better than just exploding.
                      I kind of appreciate the threat by the AAA's. You can set their engagement envelope by changing their skill values somewhat.
                      During ArmA (specially with ACE mod), players with fixed wings would easily defeat the AAA threat w/out much skills required.
                      To me I'd rather keep the AI's AAA threats to what it's meant to be.

Afterall, it's more fun (for some) to actually plan the appropriate missions correctly. Utilizing the terrain (flying out of the range of Tungusta or ZSU or NOE flying for example), performing SEAD missions, etc.

The less the player can 'Tab'+'fire' the more fun and immersive the game is.

My 2 cents/pence/include your currency here.
                      Last edited by LowSpeedHighDrag; 06-27-2009, 06:17 PM. Reason: edit

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Does the tree line break lock or could a fire provide cover

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Not sure on the fire(smoke/heat i'm guessing), but trees do provide some sort of cover. Until the trees have fallen.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

It might get released in a new patch. They said they haven't released the full content yet. Even if they dont ACE Mod will surely include this feature.
                            [

Comment

There are actually flare-stuff in the files for ArmA2. However they aren't used in any way. I assume that they didn't have time to finish the feature before release. I surely hope they make something out of them though, once they've sorted the initial performance boosts, CTD/BSOD-bugs, and repaired the campaign.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X