Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy ARMA II through Steam or wait for retail box in stores?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy ARMA II through Steam or wait for retail box in stores?

Just as the title says, which should I do. I have had a steam account for years but admittedly don't use it much. So I am unaware how the mods that I am sure are coming will work with the steam version.

Just wondered what some of you were doing...

Re: Buy ARMA II through Steam or wait for retail box in stores?

The Steam version runs mods just fine. The only thing different is having to go through one directory more than usual to get to your ArmA2 directory (Steamapps). Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Butler View Post
      Just as the title says, which should I do. I have had a steam account for years but admittedly don't use it much. So I am unaware how the mods that I am sure are coming will work with the steam version.

Just wondered what some of you were doing...
      I would wait to retail is out to check prices... and besides the instruction book is about 72 pages long although you get a pdf with steam.
      Mat0!

Comment

Something else to consider is that many steam games require steam to be running if you want to play the game. If your computer isn't all that great, running steam in the background is lost power that your game could be using. Not a ton mind you, but I know before my upgrade, I had to turn off absolutely every thing I could just to get a playable FPS on low.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
          Something else to consider is that many steam games require steam to be running if you want to play the game. If your computer isn't all that great, running steam in the background is lost power that your game could be using. Not a ton mind you, but I know before my upgrade, I had to turn off absolutely every thing I could just to get a playable FPS on low.
          And since Arma II is steam compatible... you now get the steam overlay...
          Mat0!

Comment

and most importantly, it simplifies the install/backup process. The number of times I've had to reinstall my OS have all been greatly simplified by only needing to install a game or two, and download steam and it does the rest. Still need to do all the utilities, but steam pretty much does my gaming needs, only things it doesn't do for me are Mercs 2, and Battlefield 2.

Comment

You should inform yourself about the release of patches in steam, I think that some people, had problems with ArmA digital downloads because of that.

- Are they going to be released at the same time that the "standard" patches, or do you have to wait longer for a steam version?

- Will the beta patches and small fixes be available in steam?

I say this because BI releases allot of patches, and since (fortunately) TG server is always with the latest patches installed, there is the possibility that you can't connect to the server due to the fact of the patch not being available in steam...

I'm not familiarized with steam also, so I don't know what's their policy regarding patches, and it's always best to prevent, then to fix (ISO 9001 talk, I know, but it's TRUE!).
              sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Well it seems to have sparked some discussion. I do like my instruction books, but I could also load PDF to disk and take it ti fedex kinkos if i really really had to have it.

Kind of off topic but Some of you flight sim heads might remember the "aftermarket" Manual for LOMAC. That would be cool if someone got a Field manual of sorts together like that.

I mean for basic game information and some tactics type stuff. Possible some maps, vehicle charts...etc.

Comment

Someone has!

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...published.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mato View Post
                    And since Arma II is steam compatible... you now get the steam overlay...
                    You can add non-Steam games to Steam and get the overlay. Since ArmA on Steam wasn't patched properly, after patching it to the beta you can't use the standard ArmA link in your Steam games, but after adding it as a non-Steam game you can still get the overlay, it just doesn't register in Steam for statistics purposes that you're playing it, it just says other game.

And I don't really buy anything not from steam anymore. I have GalCiv 2 on Stardock's Impulse but that's really it for any games I've bought in the last four years or so. It's just so much more convinient...

Comment

I would wait for the Retail Version.

I am only saying this because i am having problems with STEAM.
                      (Normally I would say go for it.)
                      And when he get to heaven,
                      To Saint Peter he will tell;
                      One more soldier reporting sir
                      I've serve my time in hell

Comment

Thinking about mods... is there a possibility to use the folder option to activate a single addon? In other words, do i have to put all my addons in the ArmA addon folder, or is there a possibility to use those @addon1, @addon2, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorvete View Post
                          Thinking about mods... is there a possibility to use the folder option to activate a single addon? In other words, do i have to put all my addons in the ArmA addon folder, or is there a possibility to use those @addon1, @addon2, etc?
                          You can mod as normal. Use the mod folders, just in a different spot, and then in steam you right click on it, select properties then launch options. Then you just put in the standard options to get the mods running.

Comment

Considering it's an 8G download think I'll wait for the boxed version.

amazon.ca has it but it's media type is listed as CD-ROM (not DVD) so I was dubious about ordering it as I don;t want to sit here for an hour or so swapping disc's.

That can't be right can it?? (CD vs DVD).
                            [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Comment

Could be a misprint. 8GB will not fit into a CD.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X