Got Arma2 in the mail only to find my GPU fried

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Arma2 in the mail only to find my GPU fried

Title says it all. I can't begin to explain how frustrating it is to unwrap this game with no working desktop to install it on...

But hey, I get to read the manual while I'm on the phone with EVGA :D

Slick out...

Re: Got Arma2 in the mail only to find my GPU fried

Ouch. At least now you can get an awsome vid card!
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

If you 're lucky and your card isn't being made anymore, you might get a free upgrade like I did two years ago :).
      Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Never contacted them first-hand but I always heard EVGA is very nice.

Comment

My gpu fried the second I started A2 the first time.
          No joke.
          Windows 7 rc (64 bit)
          Intel QuadCore 9650 3.0Ghz (Yorkfield) running at 3.6Ghz
          Nvidia GTX 285
          Creative Xfi pro gamer
          8 gig Corsair xms2 extreme DDR2 8500

Comment

Happened to me with ARMA1. After the first few hours of playing my graphics went all wacky.

Comment

What sort of GPU do you have? Quite a few people (including me) have been finding their Nvidia 9800 GX2s overheating and crashing, so I was just curious as many of them seem to be frying themselves at the same time (within the last month or so).
              Hope you get yours fixed soon, it's a horrible feeling knowing that you have the game right there not being able to play.
              |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
              Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                What sort of GPU do you have? Quite a few people (including me) have been finding their Nvidia 9800 GX2s overheating and crashing, so I was just curious as many of them seem to be frying themselves at the same time (within the last month or so).
                Hope you get yours fixed soon, it's a horrible feeling knowing that you have the game right there not being able to play.
                I had the old 8800 Ultra, many of the new cards don't perform as well as this old beast so I hope they give me a better card, not just a newer card :) Sending the old one to EVGA today, they were very easy to deal with once you got them on the phone...

Comment

Ultra was top card in its day so they might give you a 280, not sure what equal power would be, 260?

This isnt the first time a new very taxing game knocked out peoples cards, most people dont check every week for artifacts so its probably a case of taking out the dead wood

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I have an EVGA 8800GT 512 superclocked edition that just decided to fry itself today after a weekend of playing ArmA2 :| I have green squigly horizontal lines running across my screen now when i try to play.

They're RMA'ing it though which is awesome since it's out of warrantee. That alone is enough to make them the people i will deal with when it's time to upgrade. Awesome and fast tech support.

Comment

Ive heard of a few old 8800 wearing out now, I was at one time going to buy one cheap because they were such a big hitter but realised their time has passed finally

Apparently it could be due to solder weakness and heat stress which is not totally fatal apparently, a bit like the 360 fault except less obvious.

Heres one solution, do not actually do this though

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5AZMcGwbW8[/media]

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Buddy of mine baked his 4870 into a resurrection. Wouldn't try it myself.

Comment

That really seems like a last ditch, if all else fails kind of solution. As long as they will replace it for free i'm gonna go with that :)

Comment

And after only two weeks I have my "new" 8800 Ultra in house. Jacked the card in place, OC'd my Q6600, installed TrackIR 5, let's play some ArmA 2 :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X