Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wonder if online would be a frustrating experience. Some questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder if online would be a frustrating experience. Some questions.

Don’t have a lot of time during the summer months to play anything. Games are a fall winter distraction from the snow and –40C temperatures but I’ve been playing around and enjoying ArmA SP off and on for a while as well as a couple of LAN games with a friend or two (always co-op).

I had wanted to try MP but am reluctant because of my unstable connection but with ArmA2 coming soon and a new system build in the offing , am starting to feel the urge again.

I’m on a not too decent WiFi connection (all I can get out here in the boonies other than satellite) and often suffer wild ping fluctuations. (I’ve read that WiFi isn’t exactly the best for real time gaming anyway). PR/BF2 are unplayable as I suffer a tremendous amount of “rubber banding” (even with a 50 – 60 ping) . I have been in touch with my ISP but not much they can do because of the distance to the tower and interference (trees etc.) between the tower and me.

Normal ping to the server is in the 100 - 140+ range (I’ve been on it when it’s empty and it seems to run OK) but I suffer fluctuations where the ping soars to >800 or so for a few seconds then settles back down again. Obviously the high ping should make it unplayable but unlike other games, I don’t seem to suffer the same high ping consequences such as freezing, rubber banding etc. for some odd reason, at least when the server is empty. (PS - I know it’s not my computer as I get 30 – 60 FPS in SP on High – Very High settings.)

I assure you I’m a mature player (only a couple of years left until retirement) with the reflexes of a CAT (D9 that is). An ex-reservist with the “Kings Own” (KOCR’s - Calgary) so I’m used to taking orders, doing what I’m told, never volunteering for anything and when asked for suggestions always reply.. “maybe (someone else other than me) would be able to handle that easily” :D

I guess the question I wanted to ask was would the high ping fluctuations bugger up the game for me or other players (I noticed that as my ping goes up so does the bandwidth usage).

Is there a way I can possibly stabilize my ping (XP Home SP2)?
    Do others suffer the same ping fluctuations?
    Is 100 – 140 playable online anyway?
    If I only have a couple of hours to play, can one “drop into” a game then leave without destroying the continuity?

Txs.
    [CoFR] BeerHunter

You shouldn't feel bad because you're not succeeding. It's far better to feel confident that you have the ability to handle failure

Re: Wonder if online would be a frustrating experience. Some questions.

"Stabilizing" your ping is, unfortunately, completely up to your local internet connection. I'd recommend calling tech support and specifically asking for an engineer: they might be able to tell you something the front-end can't, and some technicians are bored enough to fiddle with your connection in an effort to boost the signal.

Although 100-140ms is average for an ArmA II player, high-latency spikes will cause desync from the server, ie. missed or delayed packets of information that make you lag behind the course of the game. ArmA is notorious for multiplayer connection issues, and the tables will be even worse with those kinds of fluctuation. That being said, if you can play for an hour or two without getting disconnected, the game is definitely worth it!

PS: You guys getting any of our sun out that way? If so, we want it back.

Comment

BeerHunter, I have a 112-120 ms ping in TG servers and never had problems playing. That's one of the good things about arma, only after 200ms+ is when you start to fell lag, but desync can happen to everyone...
      sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

I'm at the other side of the Atlantic puddle, so if I have as little as 140ms ping to the TG server I'm happy.

ArmA is so slow-paced I wouldn't worry about popping up as far as 250ms. What is to be worried about is the desync, but hopefully that won't be a huge issue. If you can get your hands on the demo you could always try how well it works through that.

If nothing else the ArmA2 campaign (although in need of some patching to fix bugs) even beat the OFP one hands down in my opinion, and with more tools in the mission makers' toolboxes I think there can be some really incredible missions and campaigns done for SP. Definitely worth getting the game just for that, if the multiplayer wouldn't work out.

Comment

In ArmA/ArmA2, bandwidth is ultimately more important than ping (to an extent). You can have a great ping but low bandwidth and end up being "flooded out" of a server once action starts happening. On the other side, you could have a poor ping (300ms, say) and high bandwidth and be able to survive that same situation without a problem.

What sort of bandwidth do you see being reported in the playerlist when you're on a TG server in ArmA? (you can see that by pressing the 'P' key and finding your name)

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHunter View Post
            ...never volunteering for anything and when asked for suggestions always reply.. “maybe (someone else other than me) would be able to handle that easily” :D
            Lol!! Props! You area Veteran and a Mature Gamer!!
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

The only way to really know is to giving it a try... i just suggest to not take any role like pilot or man a vehicle-mounted gun, as desync tend to be more visible (and worse) when moving faster. And killing the whole squad while trying to land your helo near the LZ isn't fun hehe.

Comment

My ping is 140 and it runs fine. Give it a try, if it works, it works if it doesn't work, then we can do one off sessions. And you would not ruin the continuity.
                |TG|Ghost02
                TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X