Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to TG and ArmA II(Had a question about TG playing in ArmA II)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to TG and ArmA II(Had a question about TG playing in ArmA II)

Hey everyone i'm new to TG. I've been playing BF2142 and have played in TG's servers(Best out there btw). Anyway i'm buying ArmA II the day that game comes out. Immediately after i wake up lol. What i wanted to know is when you guys play a mission, how do you assign roles? What i love doing is flying(I am actually more than likely going to start school soon as well as Airforce ROTC whilst in college). In BF2 i always fly the blackhawk and transport people around as well as the jets. In ArmA II, i'd like to do that as well as provide air support with the jets and other helis. In order to do that, i'd assume it would depend on the mission as well as the commander's decision on wether or not to employ air assets during said mission correct? I of course am MORE than willing to fight on the ground as that is where all the action is, but raining down hell from the sky is my favorite thing to do lol. So yeah that's pretty much what i wanted to know. I hope to play with you guys as soon as ArmA II comes out here in the states and i'll keep reading on the boards here for any updates and server information. Thanks!

Re: New to TG and ArmA II(Had a question about TG playing in ArmA II)

In normal play (non-event) it's basically pot-luck in the way it's whatever is there, and you choose what's not taken to use. Lots of missions don't even have air assets though.

Comment

Covert0ps,

Firstly welcome to TG and may I compliment you on your thread above. Many new players to TG could learn enormous amounts from the way you posted your feelings and experiences and your desires to play a specific role in ArmA2.

Rather than the usual "I want".... you showed some class and highlighted some of the reasons why you would like to focus on a particular role.

You are correct in that the use of assets is a mission CO's call, however when Commanders know they have people good at their task and pleasant in their request, they will be picked way before the "I want to fly/snipe/tank gun", etc etc.

So well done sir and I am sure you will get ample opportunity to ferry the masses around with some air support.

Rgds
      BD1
      BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Thanks for the info and the compliment BlackDog! Hopefully you'll be one of the guys calling in air support on an enemy emplacement and i'll be the guy to respond. And hopefully after i buy the game and get familiar with the controls, you'll remember me during an event or mission when air support roles come up so i can do some good. Again though i'll be happy to go on the ground with everyone should no air assets be available or if they're taken already. Thanks again BD1!

Also, thanks Razgriz for that info and trinity as well for welcoming me.

Comment

It also seems that those specialty slots are Reputation Based... The more you play and the more folks see you fly and respond when and where needed the more they "Nominate" you to be the pilot...

Not a lot of folks claim to be pilots when the lives of your fellow players are at stake..
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Yeah Peardog i thought of that as well. But if i practice flying a lot(wether it be transport or jet/gunship air support) and i'm confident, i'm sure if you volunteer they'd at least think about it. I honestly don't know, but i doubt that everyone jumps at the chance to transport the entire team around because of the risk involved and the pressure put on you(again i may be wrong). The fact that someone volunteers to do it despite the pressures shows at least they're willing to take on a high stakes role in the team despite the amount of things that can go wrong. And when you're transporting 15 people, anything goes wrong you're all dead lol. Gunships/jets i'd assume have less pressure involved since you're providing air support and not transporting the team around, but even then a stray shot might kill the team or if you can't shoot very well, the team will be killed anyway. I understand what you're saying Peardog thanks for the tip. Hopefully i'll get a chance to fly early on and do well so the people i'm playing with remember me afterwards when air roles come up during assignments. Thanks again.

Comment

im one of those people who claims to be a "pilot" when really i just like helicopters! i cant fly to save my life but if you join the server and people realise that your an excellent pilot who works for the team and not for glory kills, well then your sure to be a valued teamplayer :)
              i would advise you to read the SOP threads, just so your familiar with some of the TG rules, cuz i'd hate to see someone being kicked/banned for a few mistakes

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...ncements-sops/

^^ loads of useful info there :)

Comment

Hey browna i took a look at the SOP's for ArmA thanks! And yeah for me the team always comes first. But if killing some bad guys is what is needed for the team to get through, i don't mind lol. As for which aircraft, i like whirlys but the jets would definately be my thing overall. It'd be great. You're pinned down by a machine gun emplacement and you call for a JDAM attack. A few seconds later you hear the distant roar of an engine get closer and out of nowhere a huge explosion followed by an F-35 flying a few hundred metres above you and turning to see if it was a hit. As the smoke clears, the emplacement is gone and the team gets through. *Sigh* Jets are my choice for sure lol. And i do hope i can fly well enough to make people notice so i can establish myself as a pilot who knows what he's doing both in jets and whirlys.

Comment

The importance of a good transport chopper usually far outweighs the benefits reaped by an attack chopper. Though it's not quite as exciting, in my opinion, transport choppers trump the attack birds in this game. Of course you can zip ahead rockets blazing but I can't tell you how many times I've turned to someone in game and said "Watch this, he'll last about a minute". Fire ensues, Explosions rack the sky and eventually, almost inevitably the aircraft falls to the sky while the ground pounders chuckle. When it all comes together with a command stucture, experienced FAC's and good pilots and solid infantry squads...it's a thing of beauty.

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here.
                  Last edited by Grunt 70; 07-02-2009, 01:20 AM.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Cool thanks Grunt 70. Yeah i know transports don't get much action, but i love it for some reason. In BF2 i always try to to fly the blackhawk before anyone gets near it lol. And in 2142 i spend all game going in circles near the enemy titan dropping guys off there lol. Just something about being the teams ride and the guy who'll get them out of the thick firefight that makes me want to be a transporter. Also that on either side i got a machine gun with guys there ready to give some air support to the ground team when needed. But most transport pilots don't get much praise which is another reason why i like it. Kind of the guy behind the scenes like SOAR or SWCC. I just hope they add fastroping to the game(unless it's already on there), that'd be great. First thing i'm doing when i get the game though is getting my shooting down(hopefully not too different from other FPS's) and practicing with the different transport choppers so if they ever ask for a volunteer to fly i'll be able to try. Thanks again Grunt 70.

Comment

Originally posted by Covert0ps View Post
                      i always try to to fly the blackhawk before anyone gets near it
                      Actually 80% of online ArmA players do the same thing and in some cased if I (and I am one of the few that actually know how to pilot correctly) got to the chopper first I would be shot or the chopper blown up BY MY OWN TEAMMATES because they wanted to get to it first.

Comment

I have a couple of noobie questions.When the TG ArmA 2 server is up do I get on it from multiplayer in the game and What exactly is team speak used for and isnt there voice built into the game? I am green as felt on a pool table.Is there a place in team speak where I can talk to people and ask these sort of questions?. The first thing I noticed in this forum is that you're not jumped on and derided for "stupid noobie " questions and i appreciate that.

Comment

[b]Also while I'm on the subject, I just want to clarify to you Covert that playing on TG servers is nothing like playing on any BF server. On the TG servers the missions have objectives and careful planning as well as extensive briefing are used. The main thing I want to point out is that on the TG server's wonderful user created missions, at least 90% of them anyways, there is no respawn. That means that if you manage to get your teammates killed in some way that could have been prevented, for example, running a chopper in to enemy AA/trees/the ground, then you and your teammates have to sit the rest of the mission out (they usually take anywhere from 1-3 hours). I'm sure they will love you for that, so choose your slot wisely when playing on TG's servers.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                            I have a couple of noobie questions.When the TG ArmA 2 server is up do I get on it from multiplayer in the game and What exactly is team speak used for and isnt there voice built into the game? I am green as felt on a pool table.Is there a place in team speak where I can talk to people and ask these sort of questions?. The first thing I noticed in this forum is that you're not jumped on and derided for "stupid noobie " questions and i appreciate that.
                            Teamspeak is used to comunicate to people in game, and on some mission teamspeak is used by commanders for comunication. Teamspeak is also a good place to ask admins/other players questions.

yo join the TG arma2 server you go into the multiplayer section and look for it (filters make it easier)

and the more questions you ask the better :)

Comment

Man, the transport pilot role can be on of the most exciting roles in game... all u need is to be the right man, at the right spot at the right time... i remember once, doing some sidemissions in domination... Beta was leading us (i remeber how nice where those dom sessions... with rules and all stuff... i miss that). Anyway, we where inserted few hundreds of meters from our obj... some enemy arty on top of a steep hill. As we were approaching our obj, a [email protected] load of enemies inf jumped on us from every direction. I was wounded, beta couldn't walk or run anymore, lots of people shooting everywhere. The situation was fubar, but we called our pilot for a desperate extraction and CAS. Beta managed to crawl behind a small rock and most of the team gathered around trying to protect ourselves deploying smoke and fire everywhere. And all of a sudden,
                              there shined a Mi-17 firing all of his lifesaver rockets on those AIs... that was a beautiful sight, hard to forget. It looked like movie. Then he landed, and we managed the get the hell out of there. The pilot was LowSpeedHighDrag. Man I owe you for that one!

Yeah, a bit of off topic, but dude, if u have the skill and especially, the patience, there will be opportunities to save lots of peoples lives, as LowSpeed did on that day.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X