Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice request. Arma2 LOD problem

Hi all.

I just 'upgraded' my GPU to an XFX GTX285, as my 9800GX2 melted... yeh.
    Anyway, I was playing arma 2 on the 9800 for 1 day or so, without too many problems. I had to lower the graphics a lot but it was pretty stable, and I didnt notice any of the following problem...

Crazy lod's. I'm on one of the first campaign missions, where you have to 'help the siege', and the buildings lod's are just insane. Constantly shifting and loading, and dropping again, it just looks awful.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Cheers.

EDIT: Forgot to say, i'm on the steam version. My game says it's patched to the latest version, but wasnt that patch supposed to add more graphics options such as an option to disable bloom etc? Don't see any of those.

Re: Advice request. Arma2 LOD problem

You bet I have it!
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by Axeface View Post
      Hi all.

I just 'upgraded' my GPU to an XFX GTX285, as my 9800GX2 melted... yeh.
      Anyway, I was playing arma 2 on the 9800 for 1 day or so, without too many problems. I had to lower the graphics a lot but it was pretty stable, and I didnt notice any of the following problem...

Crazy lod's. I'm on one of the first campaign missions, where you have to 'help the siege', and the buildings lod's are just insane. Constantly shifting and loading, and dropping again, it just looks awful.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Cheers.

EDIT: Forgot to say, i'm on the steam version. My game says it's patched to the latest version, but wasnt that patch supposed to add more graphics options such as an option to disable bloom etc? Don't see any of those.
      I observed a more erratic LOD on buildings with the shadows set to normal or low. Less noticable with shadows set on high (in the benchmark demo).

Comment

there is a lauch parameter that might be worth a try : arma2.exe -generateshaders

should only be done once

if its like Battlefield when u change hardware or settings it regenerate shaders and optimize rendering. it is possible that the game didnt notice ur hardware changes and didnt generated the shaders for ur currentcfg. as i didnt find any documentation on that option it is just supposition . goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by Ka-Oz View Post
          there is a lauch parameter that might be worth a try : arma2.exe -generateshaders

should only be done once

if its like Battlefield when u change hardware or settings it regenerate shaders and optimize rendering. it is possible that the game didnt notice ur hardware changes and didnt generated the shaders for ur currentcfg. as i didnt find any documentation on that option it is just supposition . goodluck
          Man, are u part of BiS team? lol, that was some deep troubleshooting, im sure it'll help...

Axeface, if u upgraded to 1.02 (both patches - normal and the hotfix) there should be some more graphics options, as you said. Maybe you should try a fresh new installation.

Comment

The option isn't "disable bloom" or "disable blur", it's turning the Post Processing to off, which does both, I am pretty sure.

Comment

axe yu should try rolling back your graphics drivers if your on a 200 series, my 280 makes the game look horrible with 186.18, try 181.71 it makes the game run faster and look better, may solve your lod problem.

Comment

Thanks all. Yeh seems it did auto-update to 1.02.

Ka_oz, I would try that if i had the retail game. But I think that steam versions are all wrapped up in one file or something. Do you know if it works with steam? Dont want to try it straight away because on my connection it took me 3 days to dl the game. So if it broke it would be a real pain.

Cheers Ing, i'll give that a go.

Thanks again.

Comment

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\common\arma 2. Game is installed exactly the same as retail, other than the .exe being slightly different. If you want to add that stuff Ka-Oz recommended, go to the game in the games list, right click, properties, set launch options and add the -generateshaders there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobruk View Post
                    I observed a more erratic LOD on buildings with the shadows set to normal or low. Less noticable with shadows set on high (in the benchmark demo).
                    Since, you seem to have the actual game not the demo. I would advise not to use demo benchmark. Since demo is not the same as the full game.
                    I have noticed a significant difference between the two.
                    Demo ran almost perfectly while the actual full game didn't.

Uninstall the game, revert to graphic drivers that are known to be stable.
                    Reinstall the game.
                    Use the game parameters if necessary (-maxmem=XXXX, -generateshaders (don't use), -noFilePatching, -winXP, -noCB etc)
                    Link: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/A...tup_Parameters

There is also a link in the BIS forum regarding the Nvidia troubleshooting issues.
                    http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76908

Hope these helped.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Thanks for that, Help appreciated.
                      I'll have a look through those forum threads too. But first, is there a way to reinstall a steam app without downloading it again?

Comment

No.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse