Anyone use the HOTAS Cougar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use the HOTAS Cougar?

Hi all, I use the HOTAS Cougar flight stick in ArmA2. The thing is though, only the buttons on my stick are recognized, none of the inputs on my throttle, except for the throttle itself are supported ingame. Any Cougar owners have a fix for this? All buttons work in profiler and on all other games.

Re: Anyone use the HOTAS Cougar?

I had one, and it worked in Arma. I do not really know what to tell you aside from keep on trying.
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Are you running a profile that has the keys mapped out some other way? might try clearing out your profile if you have one loaded and see if that helps.

another think in the control panel there's a button that controls "Axis and Button Emulation" You might try toggling that as well.

Comment

Rolling Rock, hey, welcome to TG and thanks for the reply. I've been fiddling around for the last couple of days here and there and this is what I've found, maybe you can help. With button emulation OFF ArmA2 reads my inputs as 'Thrustmaster button 1' and so on, but won't read any of the buttons on the throttle. With button emulation ON it reads all buttons, but instead of being 'Thrustmaster button 1' it registers as whatever macro the profile has it listed as (/.,",@ etc) these macros almost always conflict with crucial ingame controls. What I would really like is to get A2 to read the inputs on my throttle as just that, thrustmaster button 28 or whatever, but cannot figure out how. Any ideas?

Comment

i do not think the throttle buttons can be seen without emulation turned on but when i get home from work tonight I can look at that to make sure.

there should be a way to get the buttons to work as they are supposed to with emulation turned on but you may need to load a profile that tells them to do it. I have done something similar before once I get home later I will look through my profiles and see what I have. I haven't had a chance yet to configure my cougar for A2 yet so maybe tonight I can do that :-)

Comment

i do not think the throttle buttons can be seen without emulation turned on but when i get home from work tonight I can look at that to make sure.

there should be a way to get the buttons to work as they are supposed to with emulation turned on but you may need to load a profile that tells them to do it. I have done something similar before once I get home later I will look through my profiles and see what I have. I haven't had a chance yet to configure my cougar for A2 yet so maybe tonight I can do that :-)

Comment

I use the Saitek X52 which is recognised as one USB joystick and not two separate devices like I think is the case with the Cougar?

ArmA only supports one joystick at a time I believe as I can't use my X52 in conjunction with my Pedals, I suspect this has not been remedied for ArmA 2, I can't check and find out as I don't have the funds to get ArmA 2 yet :(

There are ways around it, some software that can combine devices by emulating that they are all just 1 controller...it's a lot of fuss and 'googling' but it has to be possible. Good luck!

P.S. If the throttle system in ArmA 2 is the same as in ArmA then it's not worth using an actual throttle component - ArmA only recognised the commands of 'speed up' and 'speed down' so you may be better of using two keyboard buttons!

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Sounds good, I appreciate it, let me know

Comment

1er, ArmA2 actually does support everything, you can use your X52 and pedals now, Trackir too if you like. Also, all buttons on the cougar will work with an emulation profile, meaning, I have to load a profile that tells ArmA2 that when I press this button you should read it as '/' and map all controls that way. Without emulation it reads only half of the buttons and it reads them as joystick buttons. What I'm hoping to learn is how to make ArmA2 read all my buttons as joystick buttons without having to create a profile of macros. I'm optimistic.

Comment

i'm just heading out. not sure if this was resolved. i remember a program that mapped keys to joystick inputs.

Comment

Python I use the Cougar too. To assign keys to your HOTAS (which you can't in game) use Joy2Key.

Take a look/try: HERE
                      sigpic
                      | |
                      TG ArmA Pathfinder
                      One pass haul ass - Greed kills

Comment

if you haven't resolved this see if Xpadder will do the job. I used this to map keys to my Saitek Av8r in games that ignored binds.

ok looks like the author now charges for the app.. interesting since i have it before he decided to charge for it.. Hit me up and i'll send it your way. if you like it perhaps the commercial version is even better.

Comment

Thanks Buccaneer and Rhino, I appreciate your help. I was hoping that I'd be able to get the game to recognize my throttle buttons without having to assign key strokes to them because it recognizes my stick inputs as is. However, it seems I'll have to bite the bullet and create a profile manually, thanks for apps they should work nicely. Cheers.

Comment

I've had luck with mine just using the default profile and then mapping the buttons in game.

Los

Comment

Yes I use the HOTAS Cougar and Ch rudder pedals. It can be done, use FOXY and use an already established profile like the 1 from KA-50 Black Shark. I have configured my set up for Helo flying only and works perfectly amazing along with Trackir
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X