Laser-Guided Munitions -- How-To

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser-Guided Munitions -- How-To

Today during Operation Rasoon 3.0 we experienced some frustration when it came to laser-guiding a target for CAS, which reminded me that very few of us have had any experience with the laser marker since ACE. Together with Eska, TralicForce, Over Lord, Porkinz, Simover, and AdeptAbyss, these are our findings:

1) In order to lock onto laser designations, you must be equipped with one of the following:
    --GBU-12 laser-guided bombs
    --Hellfire missiles (note that these can also lock onto spotted targets)

2) To lock onto lasers, use the Switch Targets key (default [TAB]) until the "Laser Target" is highlighted.

3) To fire laser-guided munitions, you do not need to wait for the square targeting bracket to change into a circle-in-square target. You can fire your munitions as soon as the initial lock-on is confirmed.

4) The Observer slot in the UH-1Y Venom does NOT work properly. Although its laser-designator works, it requires that the main engine is turned off and the vehicle is completely stationary. This means that it is impossible to use the Huey as mobile laser recon.

5) As far as I'm aware there is no maximum ALTITUDE to locking onto laser targets, although there does seem to be a maximum GROUND DISTANCE TO TARGET of about 3000m.

I think many players don't use laser-guided aircraft in their missions, or in-game, because most of us aren't sure how to use them. However, during testing these LGBs provided invaluable, as it is possible to launch them from several kilometers above the target, reducing AA/AAA threat! Since they're completely dependent on ground support, this means that LGBs actually compliment the infantry role without being "overpowered".

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Sc[ + ]pe; 07-08-2009, 02:14 AM.

Re: Laser-Guided Munitions -- How-To

As additional general note: when observing for laser-guided artillery shells, do not lase the target until the last twenty seconds of flight. Lasing before that point will cause the shell to fly non-ballistically and miss the target. Lasing after about 7-10 seconds time of flight will not leave it enough time to maneuver and it will miss. So you probably need an additional "laser on"/"designate" command in addition to "shot" and "splash."

Comment

Is number 4 a bug that will be fixed?

Comment

Good to know Scope. We'll need it for Operation Rasoon 2.5 saturday :D:D:D

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Huey bug is a result of using the same class base as the infantry laser marker for its Observer slot laser designator, wherein any movement whatsoever automatically disables the targeting. I'm fairly sure it's fixable, but whether it requires creating a new class base specifically for the Huey, or altering the existing class base, is yet to be seen.

Comment

The Huey observer laser designator works for me offline in the editor. I put myself in command of a Huey and 2 Cobras, sat in the observer position, ordered all three choppers airborne, lased a building and both cobras let loose with all their Hellfires on my target. I didn't even have to order them to target or fire--they just fired as soon as I turned on the designator, and continued to fire on whatever I pointed at.

I even used it to shoot an airborne Mi17 at long range using the designator and my wingmen's Hellfires.
            Last edited by Xenios; 07-13-2009, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocal View Post
              As additional general note: when observing for laser-guided artillery shells, do not lase the target until the last twenty seconds of flight. Lasing before that point will cause the shell to fly non-ballistically and miss the target. Lasing after about 7-10 seconds time of flight will not leave it enough time to maneuver and it will miss. So you probably need an additional "laser on"/"designate" command in addition to "shot" and "splash."
              This sounds nonsensical to me. What exactly do you mean?
              It doesn't matter does it how long before release you lase? "Enough time to maneuver and miss"... are you sure??

Comment

it means that if you lase too soon the missile will not reach a good height and try to move directly to the target and if there is anything between the lauch and target the missile will hit that

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Originally posted by Xenios View Post
                  The Huey observer laser designator works for me offline in the editor. I put myself in command of a Huey and 2 Cobras, sat in the observer position, ordered all three choppers airborne, lased a building and both cobras let loose with all their Hellfires on my target. I didn't even have to order them to target or fire--they just fired as soon as I turned on the designator, and continued to fire on whatever I pointed at.

I even used it to shoot an airborne Mi17 at long range using the designator and my wingmen's Hellfires.

I tested this out and yes it works in the editor although I could only get the AI to fire when we both didnt move and when aiming infront of the Ah-1Z. I also tested with the pred which worked great untill it decided it would rather fly into the ground.

We should set up a server test see if its a mutliplayer problem or if it just requires both choppers to be still but allows planes to move.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity

Comment

I have already tested it in multiplayer and it definitely does not work. While the engine is spooled and/or the helicopter is moving, it is impossible to activate the laser in the Huey. My only guess with regards to the AI is that they are scripted to react to the laser designator rather than are called with the same script that calls our LGBs. Simply put, it's BORKED.

Comment

which aircraft have laser guided bombs?

Comment

When you lase something an invisible lasertarget-object, hostile to the lasing side, is spawned where the laser intersects the ground or an object. The AI then sees the lasertarget and tries to attack it like anything else hostile.

Comment

Originally posted by browna3 View Post
                          which aircraft have laser guided bombs?
                          Harrier and F-35 for sure. Don't remember the A-10

Comment

A-10 does but all hellfires can lock onto a laser as well

Comment

The AV-8B has the largest compliment of laser-guided munitions (6), the F35 has the least (2), the A-10 has 4, and the Cobra has a full compliment of 16 Hellfires that can track laser targets additional to their auto-lock capabilities.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X