Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why are people afraid to take Leadership roles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are people afraid to take Leadership roles?

i pose a question that probably has no clear answer, sometimes it take 5-10 minutes for someone to step up for SL, and ATM it always seems to be the same few people.

so anyway i'm curious to see why some of our newer regular players won't take leadership roles.

Re: why are people afraid to take Leadership roles?

Welp, for me at least, if once my headset comes in (hopefully) that will change.

Honestly though I think some people are just apprehensive.

Comment

I think it comes down to people dont want any blame put on them if something goes wrong. Being self concious and thinking they dont have what it takes to lead on ARMA's best server can take a toll on peoples confidence. Prsonally, I started leading squads and that a few weeks after I started playing and like most of the best leaders, I have had everyone slaughtered by poor decisions.

All I can say to those skeptical about leading is, take the chance!!! There is NO ONE in the game that has not made a bad decision and lives were lost.
      |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

For me it was a stupid reason.I didnt know how to set up vent for commander chat.The way it was described at first due to misunderstanding on my part was hard.After getting it setup it was easier than I thought.That and the fear of letting down your team mates

Comment

Its hard. That's why people don't want to do it. I think also, for ARMA 2, were seeing lots of players coming in from other types of FPS genres like PR for instance and so this type of commanding is a new challenge.

My suggestions for someone who hasn't led big groups before. Start off leading 4 man fire teams and progressively move up to bigger groups. You can prep a plan ahead of time and when the time comes suggest the mission with you as a leader. Whip out your plan and let er rip. The devil is in the details and as long as you have that figured out ahead of time you can run through the assignments quickly. On our server, at most times, you'll have capable squad leaders and they'll really help you as you break your cherry.

Trust your squads to do what you've assigned. Don't micromanage. Make use of runners in hmmvs and always be thinking of a contingency plan. Assign medics carefully. Don't clutter the radio needlessly. Make sure you know your keybinds for channel commander and regular squad channels.

And of course above all have fun. The rosy glow of a commanding alarge scale operation will easily outweigh the taxing effort of command.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

ARMAII is new for pretty much everyone, and some of us have started playing who've never played the original ARMA. So not many are going to be very willing to step up, for now. I'm sure that will change a bit in a few weeks or a month or so when things settle down.
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I'm new to this whole experience and so far it's already been pretty overwhelming having to adapt to a whole new style of gameplay. Hopefully sometime soon I'll have an opportunity to try and lead a fireteam or something small if I feel up to it.

Comment

I think it is quite simple really. If all the people under your command dies just shrug it and laugh it off.

There are always some people questioning you, talking bad about you behind your back. Especially SLs love to complain to their Squad members about their CO. And some COs deserve that. haha

As CO I try to leave the details to SLs and give them a general direction and general orders. How to achieve that will be up to SL. Once the order is issued I try to stay off the channel so SL s can talk to their Squad. Typing short order through TEXT.

The importance of freeing up Commander channel and text is very important as Squad leaders face extra challenges trying to talk while his ear is being bombed by cross comms. This affects overall game experience for grunts because they do not hear their SL talking because he is trying not to miss anything from CO.

Now people have no fun and bad gaming experience when the SL s lack decisiveness. Does not matter if the plan is bad or good you throw it out there everybody will be ready to give it a try. Knowing crossfire, and being able to set up flanking movement is a plus.

Leading is fun for me. It can be fun for you as well. I have failed miserable on many missions as CO, SL, and FTL. I don't blame anybody, or myself. And if somebody starts to talk about my idiocy I completely ignore or get a drink before he starts. Because next mission he chooses to be in my squad again. :row__638:

Comment

To be honest I remember this happening a good bit in ArmA 1 too, so I wouldn't put it all on newer players.

Comment

I am usually one of the first ones killed, I need to learn how to crawl and keep my head down and live a bit longer before I lead. Lead, follow or get the f**k out of the way sounds good in theory but not in this game. My time will come.
                    Last edited by ChiefBoatsRet; 07-21-2009, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Well. I am new to ARMA2 and wanted to get the feel for the weapons/vehicles and there for the capability of units I would eventually want to lead.

I did however take CO spot today, July 21st, and while it was extremely stressful for many reasons like, people not listening on comms and changing to proper channels, squad leaders not know who they are or having channel commander setup. I honestly thought the first 10 minutes that this is the worst experience of ARMA2 as of yet, besides the night mission with no NVGs... haha!

BUT we finally got the ball rolling and everything else fell into play. I personally tried to take the approach where I was on the front lines with the troops and saw what they saw... or tried to without getting shot up. It was hectic because I was constantly requesting status of squads and marking my map for a HUGE variety of things, and on top of that making sure I am not in the way of the death dealers and I myself was not in an enemy line of fire.

In the end when mission was completed I could wipe the sweat of my brow and had fun. But the first few minutes trying to get organized was just painful.

- I generally avoided taking a leadership postion because:

1. Didnt know what I was doing, not familiar with squads/vehicles/requirements(Medics,engis,demo,AT) etc for that particular mission. Heck I didnt even know how to mark a map!

2. I am pretty new to this game as I mentioned and I like perforating tangos at the moment. Listening and paying attention to how current leaders do stuff in this game. I am blown away on how close this simulator can get to proper protocol.

3. I guess it is true I didnt want my first impression to this community a bad one... minus the helo crashes, some friendly fires... but I for sure didnt want to completely fail at a leadership position.

BUT all in all I think it is hard to take CO spot ALL the time.

I did like how Marine and other admins back up whatever the CO says... if someone is messing around they put a stop to it. Helps out alot.

Comment

My reason is simply family. Kids wake up from sleeping I need to be there for them.

Comment

I think there is 2 reasons for not wanting to step up, 1) being self-conscious, and 2) wanting to just sit back and play the game.

I myself do enjoy taking up the leadership role every now and then but I mostly enjoy just sitting in the backseat and simply playing the game. The leadership role isn't one which is stressful really, it just requires you to be more aware and "in the game".

I do encourage all players to try the leadership role AT LEAST once, lots of fun can be had and it's a good learning experience even towards the real world outside of Arma.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

I lead when I can play, like this week I am away from the game the whole week because my Mom is having surgery. Otherwise you would never need a commander. :D
                            |TG|Ghost02
                            TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Perhaps a better question than asking why people don't step up, is asking what we can do as TG members (and many of us ArmA veterans) to encourage players into leadership roles?

Simply slotting someone with a mic into a leadership role can have its advantages, but I believe we need to focus on building up the confidence of new players so that they are aware of -- but not afraid of -- the responsibilities that such roles require. It isn't the end of the world if ANY commander borks an LZ, or gets caught in an ambush, and it's this sort of mentality we should be passing on to new ArmA2 players.

In the past, we've had several missions devolve into frustrating, heavy-handed affairs. While this is unavoidable, we as a community need to keep our cool so that NOBODY is afraid to take over the comfy commander's chair!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X