I think I'm the worst player ever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm the worst player ever

Maybe I'm just past it now I'm in my forties, but I suck big time at ARMA2. Whether it's the single player campaign, the challenge mode or multiplayer (which I love, thanks to you all) I'm simply abject. I died the other day trying to get into a rubber dinghy ffs. I hardly ever seem to see the enemy. Did a 3 hour MP mission the other day and I didn't fire a shot.

Someone tell me it'll get better or what I'm doing wrong/general tips. Oh, and if you see me wandering across the battlefield with my white stick and guide dog, say 'hi' before I turn into a crow.

Re: I think I'm the worst player ever

Well the thing is, sometimes you never shoot. I almost never shoot in-game actually. The dinghy's are finiky I know. General tips? When you get in game tell your SL you are new, if the SL is TG, he should teach you some general things to look out for. The best tip I have is to act like the AI is human and is activly trying to kill you in real life, imagen you actually are the avatar.
    |TG|Ghost02
    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Thanks.

To be fair, I am getting a lot better at not dying. Working with the rest of the squad helps that naturally.

Do you think splashing out on a triple head monitor set up and trackir5 would be an over-endulgence? :)

Comment

I am older then you,possibly the oldest here.I know how you feel,I die a lot but I am getting better the more I play. The best thing is to grab a rifle with a COG scope, it helps me to pick out the AI better. No iron sites, you will never see them until you're hitting the ground bleeding out.

Comment

Welcome to TG ARMA Serpico. I think you'd be surprised at the average age of the TG ARMA community. I'm in my mid forties. I think Chief is right in round there and I know many if not most of the players are in their late twenties and into thier forties like myself. Yet age almost has not place in this discussion as people in and around TG don't judge you on your twitch skills so much as your willingness to be a part of the team and work constructively together.

As for getting better in ARMA. Make sure you announce you are new and ask to buddy up with one of the old hands to help you learn the ropes. There are many here among us who would gladly help you along those lines. Look for me in game any time. I'd be glad to hang with you. I'm no expert of course but I've been playing ARMA since the Czech release in 2006 so I've learned a thing or three. The biggest factor for success is to slow down and use those binocs as much as possible. If your engaged before you know where the enemy is your dead meat in this game.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

yeah, I don't think I've had a kill yet, so don't feel bad. Hell I once jumped out of a heli in mid flight, not intentionally. Still, I think I'm having fun. Also, I'm probably older then the average gamer too.
            |TG-Irr| Dfg872

Comment

I played most of the First person shooters out there and Arma is a different game the way it plays. There is way more concealment and the ranged combat is alot more accurate than most. It simulates a battlefield quite well.

It takes time and patiance but you will most deffinatly get better and it's far more rewarding because you know you worked hard for it.

You basicly need to treat your virtual life more preciously and take your time with moving through the maps. I would recommend reading through Dslyecxis tactical guide at:

ttp2.dslyecxi.com

It covers a ton of invaluable input from experienced players.

Other than than just hop onto the server and play a simple rifleman role and things will come naturaly with practice. You will get e better feel for the enviroment and where to look and what to look for as well as geting used to the controls until you can hit keys without thinking about them.

Comment

From my point of view, the ArmA games are not about being 'good.' There are no points or scores. Some are better shots than others, or better pilots, commanders, leaders, medics, spotters. Some are great at being in the front line and taking it in the teeth so that the rest of the squad can respond. Around here, all that counts is that you have team speak and can follow or give orders. The rest is whatever happens next.

Comment

Well I have played OFP and plenty of ArmA but I still suck at certain things like flying. Find a area whether it be armored, infantry, or air and simple practice it. None of it is all that natural the first time out the door. The hardest part will not be actually learning a skill like I mentioned, but it will be leadership. That is definitely the most challenging thing to conquer and not too many have. But the beauty of the game allows for literally every person to have a preference or role they are good at and like. The key is finding it and you will find your groove with the game...
                  "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Move from cover to cover. (Know the difference between cover and concealment)
                    Never stand still in the open.
                    When behind cover check all directions you're not covered first, then start peeking around from behind that cover.
                    "Slice the pie".
                    I think what I've stated is fundamental. Do those things mentioned above and you should die half as much right off the bat.
                    Cheers
                    Windows 7 rc (64 bit)
                    Intel QuadCore 9650 3.0Ghz (Yorkfield) running at 3.6Ghz
                    Nvidia GTX 285
                    Creative Xfi pro gamer
                    8 gig Corsair xms2 extreme DDR2 8500

Comment

I must be the youngest one here! 16. Anyway, what my fellow TGers have said are 100% correct. Honostly though, I can not stress the importance joining a TG squad, and asking them for help.
                      |TG|Ghost02
                      TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I think we have a few 14-15 yr. old players, Ghost, but age is totally irrelevant. Some of the best battle buddies are half (or twice!!) my age!

I choose to look at playing as an ArmA grunt like playing as a single zergling in an RTS game. What my actual skills and reaction times are is meaningless in the context of (most) missions. Instead, I am an instrument of the commander, and where I am in relation to everything else is the only thing that can decide whether or not I live through a game. No matter how quickly I can swivel my rifle, if I am flanked from both sides and cannot see my target, I am dead in the water.

In most FPS games, you do not have to think in a real-time manner beyond your immediate surroundings, and this is where ArmA is so much different from other games. I found that the best way for me to improve as a player was simply to consciously think about my actions, and how I was reacting to a given scenario. Am I in a danger environment? Should I be seeking cover? Am I expecting contacts at any given range or direction? If you keep a constant combat awareness of your surroundings, you've already become a better player.

Comment

Originally posted by Serpico View Post
                          I hardly ever seem to see the enemy. Did a 3 hour MP mission the other day and I didn't fire a shot.
                          This happens to me all the time. Don't sweat it... it'll get more natural as you spend more time in game.
                          BarnacleofDoom

One shot - One miss!

Comment

You know you are Truly playing aAma when you come tot the realization that you've been in game for 2 hours and have managed to drive a supply truck half way across the map...
                            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...