Some ArmA 2 questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some ArmA 2 questions

I've been sitting on the fence in regards to grabbing ArmA 2, I really want the game but there's a few issues that are holding me back. Here they are and please let me know if these things have been patched or will be patched.

Damage system? The M1s take one shot at distance from T70s and they're blown to bits every time, which is completely unrealistic. So I'm wondering if they've improved the hit points for the M1 or implemented a more realistic physics/damage system for it? If not have they talked about addressing this in the near future?

How has the AI been improved so far? Are they using more realistic tactics yet? Flanking, battling for better ground, coordinating with other squads, etc..

Finally how would you guys say the online play is? Specifically for PvP, is it easy to find PvP servers who are doing true squad vs squad battles, ie no respawns with FOBs, money, and other fluff. Better yet what are the TG guys mainly playing in ArmA 2? :)

thx

Re: Some ArmA 2 questions

M1s take one shot at a distance in what? ArmA 1? (I'm a bit confused here honestly) But anyways the M1s in ArmA 2 take quite a bit of damage. I'd say two T72 hits to more or less disable, and quite a bit more to actually take out. Unsure though.

I think M1s take out T72s in one or two shots though, ;D.

Comment

I'd say that ArmA 2 damage models more closely resemble ACE models than vanilla ArmA 1, much to their advantage. Although they're not nearly as realistically simulated as ACE vehicles, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

The AI has been improved tactically, but not mentally. Although enemy troops will now flank, suppress, and move about in far more realistic states than before, they are also prone to the exact same stupidity with regards to recognition and movement patterns that we've seen in ArmA 1. Still, a technical improvement at the least.

ArmA 2, like its predecessor, is much friendlier to co-op gameplay than it is to team-vs-team battles. That being said, it's much easier to work with than ArmA 1 was, and is at least marginally better at doing multiple player teams. Regardless, Tactical Gamer remains a co-op centric community and while TvT is definitely up for grabs, it is not the preferred gametype.

Ultimately, these questions aren't even close enough for you to avoid a purchase. The game is solid, and the players and teamwork are the best you'll encounter anywhere. You want to buy this game.

Comment

I was referring to ArmA 2, I had the chance to play the game (before any of the more recent patches) for a short period of time and was very close to buying it. My tanks were being wiped out within seconds at a very long range, shots were to the front of the armor. Really the M1A2 should be able to take a beating from a T72, more than two shots even in most cases, unless they were in close to medium range.

Ultimately because of that and the other things mentioned I decided to wait to see if some of these things were fixed and which direction the MP would go in. I loved MP in ArmA, CooP was great but I always had the most fun doing TvT which unfortunately was rare to come across. IMO the most realism and challenge is always going to come from a human opponent, so that's why I prefer TvT plus the added competition is always fun.

Either way I’m sure I’ll have the game eventually, right now it’s just a matter of how bad I want it and whether I should just wait for the price to drop and more patches to be released. If there’s not a lot of TvT servers then I think I might wait a bit.

Comment

I doubt you will find organized Team v Team unless you join a squad out there with PvP as their primary interest. And to do that you have to play the game since most of the recruiting I have seen is done via clan servers. Most pvp public games I have joined are ffa everyone for themselvs sort of style.

As stated earlier TG is mostly Coop oriented atm but there is a lot of TvT intrest just nothing regular that I have seen yet. Altho I could see weekly TvT matches in the future.

As for the game play it's a leap ahead of Arma1 but like any other game still needs constant work. AI is still AI if you ask me I still have trouble with them just sitting there prone and sniping me before I can spot them. So I would deffinatly not expect to see the AI behave like a well organized unit.

That said I would deffinatly recommend buying it and joining the comunity, it is quite playable. Get to know the guys and game.

Comment

Also I depends were the m1 is hit I have notice vehicles die better in weaker area like the back

Comment

One thing no one said is that tanks are really utilized infrequently in TG ARMA 2 play. A typical coop operation will be mostly infantry on foot and infantry with hmmv and apc support. Most of the additional support would come in the form of fixed or rotary winged CAS. Tank battles are few and far between.

There is a growing population on the TG servers who see p vs. p as the only way to go. One of the TG ARMA servers is reserved for pvp play while the second is exclusively coop. So there is a mechanism there for that segment to grow but that deosn't translate so well as p vs. p is not consistently populated.

I played PR for many years but I've also come to enjoy greatly coop play style. The beauty is in the details of organization and teamwork. As noted previously the AI is markedly improved.

Even if you are slightly interested I say get the game. We are having some amazing sessions on the TG server these past weeks. Lots of excellent soldiers stepping up and no shortage of TG style play. Taut with drama and grippingly fun. Read some of the latest AAR's. They speak for themselves.
              sigpic
              |TG-1st|Grunt
              ARMA Admin (retired)
              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Grunt, I think the famine of armored maps will be resolved shortly... patience...

Comment

Oh I could live without them. I'm a ground pounder all the way...hence my nick...Tanks to me are just big bullet magnets...but I can understand their appeal. it's fun to shoot big guns. And I understand the appeal of a well done full fledged combined arms mission.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed