Crosshairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crosshairs

An age-old problem again raising its head in Arma2.

Do you too hate that green thing in the middle of the screen, but find the complete lack of it very disorienting when playing with headtracking?
    No worries, a few people have already come up with solutions to the problem:

AFP's Minimal crosshair
    A pack of minimal crosshairs, which are a lot more inaccurate than the default ones but still give some kind of idea on where the weapon is pointing. Several flavors to choose from.

AT GUI
    A modular pack of small gui mods. At_gui_cursor removes the crosshairs completely, regardless of servers settings or anything else. Another good addition is at_gui_chat, which moves the chatbox so that it's no longer covered by the scrolling text.

Re: Crosshairs

Agreed, the vanilla arma2 crosshair should be removed from missions and added the new minimal crosshair that doesnt let you aim with it but gives you some orientation.

I think the main thing is most of the time its better to aim with crosshair rather than the sites, which is hardly realistic :(

Comment

i can do without crosshair when not iron sighting or zoomed.. m203 etc will suffer from no visual aid but its a necessary trade off.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
        I think the main thing is most of the time its better to aim with crosshair rather than the sites, which is hardly realistic :(
        From my short time playing SP and missions I find I can't hit a thing unless I use iron sights. Just using the zoomed in cross hairs doesn't seem to place my bullets where I want them to go.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I can't get that minimal crosshair to work :O

I even made a separate mod folder :S

EDIT:

nvm I got the AT GUI working :D
          Last edited by Sir_Mustache; 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
            Agreed, the vanilla arma2 crosshair should be removed from missions and added the new minimal crosshair that doesnt let you aim with it but gives you some orientation.

Given a reflex optic like an EO or Aimpoint in A2 (or A1 for that matter), I find non-ironsight mode (aka: crosshair aiming) to often be more 'realistic' for anything below 150m or so, and arguable 'as realistic' for anything at further distances.

The reason for this is simply that ArmA does not model "two eyes open" shooting. When using a reflex optic in reality (and also ironsights, but that's a bit more complicated and I'd rather focus on reflex optics for the sake of argument), you keep both eyes open and thus the optic housing itself does not obscure your vision. There's no way to get that effect in A1/2 currently unless you stay out of ironsight mode in various situations.

As to it being "too accurate" - considering how reflex optics work, the crosshair is actually a more accurate representation of such an optic than the actual in-game modeled representation of the sight. Proof of this can be found when in kneeling mode - the idle animations for all weapons will cause the player's point of view to drift out of alignment with the sights. If the reflex sights were truly parallax-free, this wouldn't matter, since sight alignment doesn't actually matter with them (in short: if you see the dot, that's where the bullet will go). However, since that isn't the case, you will see the red dot (or green triangle, or whatever) drift around and become unreliable as an aiming indicator. In the same situation, if you revert to unsighted view, the little center pip of the crosshair will be pointing exactly where the dot should be pointing on the in-game model.

Now, as to ironsights - that's a somewhat different question. For reflex optics, though, I find unsighted shooting to be more realistic in several respects.

Comment

So maybe just a crosshair for guns that have reflex optics. I'm sure it gets more in-depth than that but I think that could be a do-able solution.

| |

Comment

I really wish they had pushed the EOTech farther back in the rail like you see them most of the time. The recticule is way too small imo, gets all clustered and makes it useless at close range or with NVGs on.

Comment

Originally posted by LT. Razgriz View Post
                  I really wish they had pushed the EOTech farther back in the rail like you see them most of the time. The recticule is way too small imo, gets all clustered and makes it useless at close range or with NVGs on.
                  Assuming that by "reticule" you mean the reticule itself (ie: glowy bit) and not the sight window - I did some vaguely scientific (read: eyeballed it with reference data) testing of the reticule at one point. It's more or less scaled accurately compared to the real thing. The placement of the sight itself on a 'real' rifle would not change the size of the reticule as seen by the observer, it'd just change how much 'window' there was for the reticule to 'appear' in.

A2 reference:

Extended eye relief on a real one:

Close eye relief on a real one:

As to the issue with NVGs, I assume you mean how the reticule "blooms" in them? On the real one (well, NVG-capable versions), you can adjust the brightness of the reticule down to very, very small levels to allow it to be used properly with NVGs. A2 doesn't quite replicate that, though.

Comment

I agree. The textures on the reticule is too large and not sharpened enough to use them.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by MarineSeaknight View Post
                      So maybe just a crosshair for guns that have reflex optics. I'm sure it gets more in-depth than that but I think that could be a do-able solution.
                      Lack of crosshair also REALLY hurts grenade use of both varieties. Without crosshairs I've many a time thrown a grenade off to some side (and I do believe there's a sort of bug where the grenade only goes straight ahead of you, not where you're aiming, which hurts floating aim use somewhat).

Using the M203 or the Soviet equal is almost impossible without a crosshair. First shot blew up my face, second shot flew like three miles away and decimated an orphanage. America's Army 3 is probably the first game I've seen where the grenade launcher sight was accurately used and portrayed. I'm not sure why most games have the aim assist when all they do is put it meaninglessly out of the way :(

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                        Lack of crosshair also REALLY hurts grenade use of both varieties. Without crosshairs I've many a time thrown a grenade off to some side (and I do believe there's a sort of bug where the grenade only goes straight ahead of you, not where you're aiming, which hurts floating aim use somewhat).
                        ArmA itself also hurts aiming grenades quite a bit. ;) I wish they'd ditch the current system and make something more usable. I find grenade usage in general in A1 and A2 to be very different from how you would employ them in reality, primarily due to how the throwing mechanics work. ACE addressed that to an extent with the different grenade throw options, but even that wasn't as far as it needed to be changed. I suppose it's up to BIS to change this, since it's so heavily tied into the animation system and such.

Using the M203 or the Soviet equal is almost impossible without a crosshair. First shot blew up my face, second shot flew like three miles away and decimated an orphanage. America's Army 3 is probably the first game I've seen where the grenade launcher sight was accurately used and portrayed. I'm not sure why most games have the aim assist when all they do is put it meaninglessly out of the way :(
                        I think Infiltration was the first game to do this. Well, mod. It'd be nice if BIS would add it - it has application for many different weapons as well as M203s/GPs etc.

(image of Infiltration version from an article in ye olden days)
                        [media]http://dslyecxi.com/images/bestoftactical/infiltration/inf_203_sights.jpg[/media]
                        Last edited by MarineSeaknight; 07-27-2009, 07:48 PM. Reason: Re-formatted your picture with [media] tags

Comment

Being someone who's never played Infiltration, by the looks of it I'm sure it portrayed UGL aiming alot better than the ArmA series does.

I have, however, been able to check out the new America's Army 3 M16 UGL sights and they're very well done. If anyone here played AA2, if you remember using the AT-4 during training in that game you could also use your mouse wheel to move the sights up and down, similiar to the M16 UGL in AA3.

| |

Comment

Hey speaking of crosshairs, am I wrong or are the crosshairs... I don't know, just not all that accurate? I was using the .50 cal sniper rifle while hunting Chedaki in the woods (nothing wrong with idiotic, hideous overkill. Also they didn't provide me with an anti-vehicle option so this seemed to be the best choice). I found some guy just chilling out. I dropped prone, lined up the sights, waited even for any fatigue to wear off, aimed for his upper torso center of mass, did the hold-breath / zoom in, and fired. The shot went about an inch over his head (that the AI didn't react to the crushing sonic boom of a .50 cal BMG round blasting his hair apart was odd). I went 'huh' and aimed for the crotch and blew him in two.

His buddies reacted and tried to hide, but had no idea where I was. One of them, prone behind a log, was a nice target, so again I aimed for his center of mass, did everything in my power to get a perfect shot, *BOOM*, the round goes over his ass.

So I've taken to aiming low with the .50 cal. Not sure why I should even have to do that. These targets were about 200-250 meters away.

Comment

Yeah - I've noticed the same thing with the .50cal AMR Uranium. But I'm no ballistics expert so I'm not really sure why that is.

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X