Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What level of teamplay is there in ARMA 2 online?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What level of teamplay is there in ARMA 2 online?

I still haven't purchased ARMA 2... was holding off till it got patched up, and though I hear the SP is massively bug****ed, MP is supposed to be pretty stable.

I've been playing non-stop PR for the last 5 months or so... its level of teamplay on pubs is legendary. Can I expect the same in Arma 2 on pubs (or on TG's server)? (I'm a bit concerned because there isn't the squad system already built in afaik)

How big are the battles?

One thing that really limits PR is the 64 player thing. Are there ever any 100+ battles in Arma2 online (I saw a vid for 1700 AIs on youtube... but that wasn't online)?

Thanks all.

Oh and how's the lag online? OFP's netcode was **** (major flaw with the game, apart from that my favorite)

Re: What level of teamplay is there in ARMA 2 online?

Originally posted by NoxNoctum View Post
    I still haven't purchased ARMA 2... was holding off till it got patched up, and though I hear the SP is massively bug****ed, MP is supposed to be pretty stable.

I've been playing non-stop PR for the last 5 months or so... its level of teamplay on pubs is legendary. Can I expect the same in Arma 2 on pubs (or on TG's server)? (I'm a bit concerned because there isn't the squad system already built in afaik)
    Like all games, it depends on which server you choose. There are some servers running maps with no squad layouts and there are some like TG's that actually have briefings before missions and a nice layed out plan.

How big are the battles?

One thing that really limits PR is the 64 player thing. Are there ever any 100+ battles in Arma2 online (I saw a vid for 1700 AIs on youtube... but that wasn't online)?
    Not many servers have more than 50 people on them at a time but one thing you have to consider is that ArmA2 missions are usually based on AI. If you included AI into the player count it would probably be more than 100.

Comment

Play on TG and you are set.
      |TG|Ghost02
      TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Can I expect the same in Arma 2 on pubs (or on TG's server)?
        Generally the level of teamplay Ive found is much lower, set your expectations at the COD4 level of teamwork and youll be much less likely to be disappointed or expecting too much, but occasionally some good leadership players join up and get things organized, but most players just want to run around and shoot at ****. TG server is like the PR TG, when there is good players on and you recognize, it can be really awesome but a bunch of random players and it can turn into crap real fast. The lack of VON (in game voip) really destroys most opportunities to have organized games IMO... TS is not a good substitute for built in VOIP, after commanding a small game of 24 players.

How big are the battles? One thing that really limits PR is the 64 player thing. Are there ever any 100+ battles in Arma2 online
        Typically the pub servers rarely get over 50 players on them. Average player numbers is 35-40.
        Most missions are coop, there is very little PvP on arma2 atm, and the pvp2 that is there is in a game mode that is more like a more vehicle heavy version of vbf2 than anything else (berserk its called).
        There is one group that gets over 80 players publically, called charlie foxtrot but Ive not much experience on the server yet and its not populated too often.

(I saw a vid for 1700 AIs on youtube... but that wasn't online)?
        This was most definitely single player. 1700 AI would prety much instantly bring a server to its knees and promptly crash/desync/disconnect everyone on the server.

Oh and how's the lag online?
        Varies, for some missions its fine for others it still has terrible desync and weird things happening with warping players and helicopters smashing into the ground then instantly warping back into the air like it never happened. It all depends on: how many players are in the server, server specs and how the mission is setup.

I'll probably take some flack for not praising arma2 and only talking positive about it, but at this point especially without working VON, I would advise against buying arma2 unless fighting AI really excites you. If your expecting a bigger and better version of PR and its community, your setting yourself up for big disappointment. But I can see the game getting really good once some decent missions are developed and the in game VON is fixed.

Comment

In my opinion Fuzz is not really giving enough credit to the TG ARMA2 server. I'm confused about that because I'm hard pressed to recall seeing him in game since the ARMA 2 Launch at TG. I think his response generally does a disservice to the active and consistent TG ARMA 2 players. Despite that Fuzz is right about the possibility of a just a couple or a few smacktards bringing the game play down significantly. (in what game isn't this true Fuzz?) However I don't think that's prevalent on the TG servers at this time.

ARMA 2 has brought a wave of new players to TG and I've been very pleased as during many recent game play sessions onthe ARMA 2 servers I've been witness to some of the most organized commanding I've seen in 3 years of TG ARMA. Players like Skin, Kezai, Scope, B, Marine, and a host of others have ramped up teamwork and communication quite nicely. Given the limitations of TS as compared to a working in game VOIP system, the regular players coming on to the TG server of late deserve huge credit.

About squads. ARMA missions are created by the community. Every mission I've played has an instrument for squad organization. It's just different in BF2. ARMA 2 relies on the players themselves to organize as dictated by the mission designer. At the beginning of a coop mission an overall commander steps up, then Fire Team leaders, then squad members themselves. Squad layouts are different in different missions and you have a choice on roles as the pre mission organization gets up to speed. All missions have squads and some missions ( like Domination) give you the ability to form your own squads on a come as you go basis.

Listen--Like any game teamwork will be hit or miss on occasion. Teamspeak stinks compared to voip but trust me when I tell you the most thrilling moments in my 4 1/2 years at TG have occurred while playing ARMA and ARMA 2 with the TG arma players. Some amazing moments of drama. Take a look at some of the AAR's from past missions. Here's one of my alltime faves:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...15-2007-a.html

Like Fuzz says if you are looking for a bigger better version of PR...ARMA is not it. If you like teamwork and you are patient (very important) get this title and get on the TG server. ARMA 2 provides endless possiblities for teamwork, communication and tactics. If that sounds even remotely appealing than by all means buy ARMA 2 and come to TG servers. You won't regret it.
          Last edited by Grunt 70; 07-27-2009, 11:10 AM.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
            Like Fuzz says if you are looking for a bigger better version of PR...ARMA is not it. If you like teamwork and you are patient (very important) get this title and get on the TG server. ARMA 2 provides endless possiblities for teamwork, communication and tactics. If that sounds even remotely appealing than by all means buy ARMA 2 and come to TG servers. You won't regret it.
            I know this is slightly off-topic but I keep seeing PR mentioned. What is that an abbreviation for?

Comment

The Project Reality Mod for Battlefield 2. The ArmA Community shares alot of its player-base. The official PR website is located here.

TG has hosted that game for quite a long time now, and you can find its part of the of the forums here.

| |

Comment

Bare in mind I didn't say arma2 doesn't have potential I'm just bracing any potential new comers for disappointment as I'm sure there will be many positive responses to buy now! I think arma2 in 6 months from now (or whenever they fix Von) will be dramatically improved from it's current form.

Comment

About the VON/VOIP what's the problem exactly? Did BIS not add it at all or did they add it and it doesn't work? Have they said they're going to fix it?

So I take it you're all using TS instead. Do most people on TG's server use TS (or vent or whatever)?

Do you usually play coop or is it PVP on the TG server?

Is the AI really better enough to enhance the coop experience? (totally braindead in Arma)

Comment

yeah. general public server team play is pretty bad. If you get on servers like TacticalGamer usually its better. Best is to show up at planned events on TacticalGamer or other gaming community, that usually is the highest level of unit discipline.
                    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

VON is in the game. BIS changed the system for ARMA 2. Many servers, including TG, have experienced problems with VON when there are a high number of players on line eg. Random disconnects for random players as von is used in game. It will be patched just like the VON in ARMA 1 was.

Using TS is a requirement to get on the server. The server passwords are located on the ARMA TS Public Lounge channel.

We have two servers. One is dedicated to coop and one is open for pvp. The coop server seems to get much more play.

In my opinion the AI is much improved. They suppress, they flank and they can really surprise you at times. However...don't be misled. They are still AI and they still do some dumb stuff sometimes. Certainly not anywhere as much as in ARMA 1 though.
                      sigpic
                      |TG-1st|Grunt
                      ARMA Admin (retired)
                      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I played a single mission with VON on tacticalgamer and lots of people crashed out, personally I never had problems with it. I have problems with the game locking up when I look at the map sometimes, sound still goes but I have to reboot the computer.

As for teamplay, it is very good I would say (compared to any public server you see on the multiplayer list that is open - don't know compared to other serious servers).

Comment

It's been said already, but most sim oriented games are not a great pub server adventure. At TG we have at least some measures in place to ensure a step up from the average pub server. Organized events will always be the cream of the crop for teamwork. Check out the ones that get posted here at TG. Another great option is to get a group of friends together and request a locked server for some private gaming with a strict team oriented environment.
                          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

To further explain the squad 'system' to people who don't have the game yet.

When the mission designer creates the map he will add a number of units that are designated as 'playable', meaning that a player can choose one of these units in a multiplayer game. The mission designer can group these units in any way he sees fit to create squads or special purpose groups. A typical mission will have several 12 man squads, each with three fire teams, as well as some smaller groups for support roles, special weapons, helicopter pilots, and so forth.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X