Team Speak - Whisper to.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Speak - Whisper to.....

Well TG ARMA 2 is rolling along quite nicely. We have a good player base building and lots of interest. Game play has been pretty darned good most of the time.

As you all know for the moment we are using Teamspeak and it's not perfect but the gameplay as we know it wouldn't be the same without it .

I lead alot of Fire Teams and Squads and I have to say that command channel is just a mess most of the time. So much so that I find it a relief to be a simple rifleman just to be off the command net. The chatter, while nearly all mission specific and necessary, is just overwhelming at times.

I'd like to suggest the idea of having the command use whisper mode to specific channels in addition or instead of the general command channel. This would allow the commander to issue orders directly to specific squads instead of over the command net to all squads and would cut the amount of chatter immensely.

Of course this means setting up some extra key binds on Teamspeak but it's really not that hard to do.

Discussion....?
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Team Speak - Whisper to.....

Depends how long term the problem is. I'd say in my opinion that if it's longer than 2 months, we should think about setting this up, but we might be lucky if patch 1.x sorts out the VON.

Comment

Something that would help irregardless of HOW the comms are setup is a little bit of radio protocol.

Simple stuff really.

- DO NOT talk when someone else is talking, if it is an ABSOLUTE emergency (ie: A tank just crashed through a building and is about to run your squad over), THEN you can use BREAK - BREAK - BREAK - (your message). Use this rarely.

- ALWAYS give your name and who you are addressing for each new message. Don't just start talking on the net and expect everyone to know what you are talking about and to whom. Channel commander sounds an awful lot like regular TS comms sometimes, and as a squad leader you simply don't know which channel you should be talking on. You don't need to give this info after each press of the button, just after each time you start a new conversation.

- Above all else, THINK about what you are going to say BEFORE you say it. Take your time thinking about it so you don't stumble over words, then send the message quickly. You don't need to talk super fast or anything, just leave out words like "Ummmmm" and "Uhhh".

Comment

All good and valid points beita, but #1 has one big problem: TS delay is awfully long. When you start to speak you might easily cut over someone without even knowing it for a few seconds.

Comment

Hey Grunt, I just had my first team leader experience and you are absolutely right, I could hardly hear my teammates over the constant command chatter. I thought to myself 'Man, couldn't the commander just tell me to go to xx and check in on me from time to time, I really don't need to know all the events happening in the rear etc'. So yes, it would be awesome if the commander could somehow speak to each SL separately so the headset isn't so busy.

Comment

Also, if you're going to use Channel commander. Please set it so that only people that are on as channel commander can hear them.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I've CO'd a few times now and the clutter can be horrendous.

*Having only one pilot on channel commander to relay information to other pilots can help out alot. I tried this out last time and actually cut my chatter down alot.

I have to refrain myself. I was constantly, as a CO, asking current locations and status's. This last time I also just told squad leaders where to go and by what time using the in game watch. Worked out some what. But was alot easier on my ears for sure!

But i've noticed that admins like to keep channel commander on and use it. While I can see the benefits of keeping it on to help the CO keep control via admin commands. They also use it to their advantage and just engage in direct communication to the CO, when we try not to structure it so.

Well I wouldnt just say admins ive seen a couple people do this actually. Especially in "Recon/Tank/SOCOM/Sniper" squads, not sure why that is.

*Edited, didnt mean to make it sound like I was targeting admins alone. My apologies

Comment

For a long time, I was part of 21st Century Warfare, a now-outdated Battlefield 2 tournament. We'd regularly see 60+ players on Teamspeak, set up pretty much identically to how we have channels going right now. The biggest difference is that channel commander was sort of a secondary, emergency channel to CHANNEL WHISPERS.

Seriously guys, channel whispers are awesome. The binds I've posted here always include them, and setting them up isn't as big a pain as some people might think. Since you're whispering to an entire channel, as long as you preface with "Whisper from X channel", everyone will shut up and let you talk, including riflemen with big mouths! A commander can use it to cut down on clutter, and SQLs can use them to communicate inter-squad without breaking the flow of commander directions.

Right now, I usually ask people to step up for SQL if they meet the following criteria: A) mic, B) Channel Commander binds. Why not increase the list and make whispers an essential aspect of SQL'ing?

Comment

Setting up binds is kinda hard on a laptop I'm limited already with keys (no numpad) so channel commander works fine for me, but having even just whisper to command channel instead of channel commander could work

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                  So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Originally posted by AdeptAbyss View Post
                    Setting up binds is kinda hard on a laptop I'm limited already with keys (no numpad) so channel commander works fine for me, but having even just whisper to command channel instead of channel commander could work
                    They make USB numpads for laptops. If that's too 'niche' for you, you could also get a Nostromo Speedpad and set up numpad-based macros for that.

Actually, using an n52 for comms alone could be incredibly useful. You have the d-pad, three color shifts...

Biggest problem is trying to structure the Teamspeak in a 'military' fashion just makes no sense, because I don't know any kind of commander who has ever had to micromanage an entire theater... that's the entire point of a chain of command, you only have to worry about the dozen guys under you, etc. So a major point of weakness is whereas ArmA2 doesn't 'let' you organize more than one-level-deep in-game, this means the 'commander' has to worry about an asinine number of issues at once.

Comment

Originally posted by AdeptAbyss View Post
                      ...but having even just whisper to command channel instead of channel commander could work
                      This is a good alternative I think.
                      sigpic
                      |TG-1st|Grunt
                      ARMA Admin (retired)
                      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Thanks for posting this Grunt. This is the main reason why I don't like being a CO, because radio comms are nearly impossible to manage over teamspeak - from SL's who don't know how to whisper to channel command to non-SL's that think they should be able to use it, to dead SL's whose squad mates never move channels. It is a mess.

Beita's ideas are great, and I totally agree, but the problem is not enough people adhere to those standards. I think this will always be the case. Even in ArmA1 when the comms were working right you had people using the wrong channels all the time. It is a degenerative process by which people tend to follow bad examples, or never know good examples in the first place.

This is always a worthwhile discussion to have though. By all means, learn about channel commander, whisper keybinds, and strive for radio efficiency at all times. The only thing that I can add to it is that all CO's should be very clear about their comm standards before a mission even starts - set high standards and check to ensure SL's are all on channel command and have prepared a backup in the event they are KIA. If the CO doesn't do this, or doesn't use radio discipline themselves, well, godspeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
                          For a long time, I was part of 21st Century Warfare, a now-outdated Battlefield 2 tournament. We'd regularly see 60+ players on Teamspeak, set up pretty much identically to how we have channels going right now. The biggest difference is that channel commander was sort of a secondary, emergency channel to CHANNEL WHISPERS.

Seriously guys, channel whispers are awesome. The binds I've posted here always include them, and setting them up isn't as big a pain as some people might think. Since you're whispering to an entire channel, as long as you preface with "Whisper from X channel", everyone will shut up and let you talk, including riflemen with big mouths! A commander can use it to cut down on clutter, and SQLs can use them to communicate inter-squad without breaking the flow of commander directions.

Right now, I usually ask people to step up for SQL if they meet the following criteria: A) mic, B) Channel Commander binds. Why not increase the list and make whispers an essential aspect of SQL'ing?
                          Having played in 21Cw for several tours, I can back up Scope on the utilization of whispers. it was really second nature over there. SLs had whispers set up to each channel as needed but for sure the HCO (commanders) channel.

Here's an example:
                          -one command channel-HCOs
                          -3 inf. squads-Alpha, Bravo, Charlie
                          -CAS squad

-All Sls have their channel command on, but it is used for quick needed or emergency comms. can be used for coordinated attacks for timing etc.
                          - however, if Alpha is on the west of the city and bravo is on the east they might not have relevant info or be working together. therefore, if alpha needs to relay info to command and is not relevant to the rest of the team (danger) then he just whispers to command utilizing standard SOPs for radio usage. You won't know if command is busy since you're whispering into his channel.

example:
                          1. (Whisper) Command this is Alpha-alpha waits for ack. before sending message in case command is busy
                          2. command, alpha send or command alpha hold ......alpha this is command send it.
                          3. alpha whispers info to command

this does not clogg the command net, but does require proper behavior on comms. makes a huge difference from using command channel.

we would use command channel:
                          1. coordinating attacks
                          2. command to notify all units of developments
                          3. danger calls- broken arrow call for everyone's assistance

side note- i haven't played with you guys yet since my computer can't handle it, but I will be getting one by the end of the year. long time away it seems. my point is im not sure exactly how you work your teams, but if a SL has three fireteams underneath him, he can set up a whisper to each fireteam, and/or have another whisper including all three at the same time. this way he can send comms to his FTL or just one and not clog up the net either.

Hope this helps, sorry it was a bit long. Can't wait to be running with you guys. thank God for PR in the meantime. Sorry for grammar sucking, I'm at work and hurrying.

Mef

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X