Arma2 fried my computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arma2 fried my computer

Hi guys, i'll be back soon, wasn't able to play because my outdated computer got taken out by Arma2.
    Here are my newer specs which will arrive soon:

Asus P5Q Motherboard - Intel P45
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Processor
    Kingston HyperX Dual Channel 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz (2x2048MB)
    5-5-5-15
    XFX Radeon HD 4890 XT Video Card 1024MB DDR5
    Also a larger Hard drive, so I can load all my games at once instead of making space by uninstalling.

I hope I selected a package that will be trouble free.

Re: Arma2 fried my computer

I upgraded to the Q9550 chip and have it running rock solid at 3.5 ghz. This is paired up with a GTX 280. I hear ARMA is more friendly to ATI cards but I'm pretty pleased for the most part, running on high and very high settings. FPS for me is typically in the mid 30's and up but sometimes spikes down into the low twenties at times.

Look for a two part sticky in ARMA 2 General Discussion forum. My pal Bamboo who is a techno wiz posted an excellent discussion about upgrade paths for ARMA 2 Players.

Socket 775 is at the end of it's life and no more upgrades will really be available from this point. My jump up to the Q9550 was significant enough (from an Athlon X2 4800+ dual core chip @ 2.4 ghz & EVGA 8800GT) to satisfy me for 2-3 years--and it was way less money than some of the I7 stuff that was/is so hot at the moment. For me the sacrifice was worth it but I've never been an early adopter...some are...

Good luck with the new build. Make sure you have a real good power supply. There is also a thread in the Hardware/Software forum (you should post there too!) about power supplies. I went with a Corsair HX 750 (also recommended by Bamboo !!). With a vid card like that you need plenty of juice and the right connectors as well.

Cheers.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Yeah, I agree. The I7 stuff is expensive. The 9550 is the best cpu for an affordable upgrade; that's why we selected it.

Comment

I don't think ARMA 2 Killed your PC... It just decided Suicide was the better option...
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
          I don't think ARMA 2 Killed your PC... It just decided Suicide was the better option...
          Lol. I don't know what happened actually. But when I opened it up, I could smell that something somewhere had melted. Was running a : core 2 e6600, 7950gt oc, with 6gb ram. Hopefully I will eventually be able to pin point what went wrong and make it a backup computer.

Comment

GPU card overheat maybe? Of course maybe a CPU overheat but GPU overheat sounds more likely imo. I think someone else here said that their 9800GTX (maybe x2, I don't remember) overheated and fried after playing a while so I'd definitely recommend anyone download something that they can tweak their GPU fan to 100% with. Use EVGA Precision myself.

Comment

it depends on the kind of deal you can get on an i7. Microcenter seems to have a $200 walk-in special often untill they sell out and you have to wait till the next batch arrives a few weeks later. $200 for an i7 920 made my build cost the same as anything else i threw together. after rebates i paid ~$850 for a motherboard, ram, video card, powersupply, case, harddrive and case.

Comment

A random voice from the mist: use a vacuum cleaner inside your computer chassis every six months or so.

Most modern graphic cards are heat monsters and have huge fans. I noticed my computer picked up tons of dust, even though my apartment stays spotless. When I open my machine, I can usually see the dust bunnies taking over the place. I downloaded a GPU temperature utility and saw my card was running above the max limit, but after vacuuming out the chassis it was nice and cool (for six months, at least).

Just my advice.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X