"Dumb" bombs not so dumb?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dumb" bombs not so dumb?

I was mucking about in the editor flying the AV8B with the Mk82 bombs (not the LGBs, though it shouldn't make a difference). I noticed that if I target an enemy vehicle with TAB then release a bomb, the bomb will always hit the vehicle square on, despite the fact that I'm not at all aiming at it. The bomb should be miles off target, yet it guides itself to the tank and scores a direct hit.

Thinking this was an issue with Regular difficulty I turned it up to Expert - same deal, bombs that should be completely unguided guide themselves.

Is this because it's simulating some laser (or other) guidance on the plane? Except I thought that the Mk82s the AV8B carries (again not the LGB one) were entirely unguided save for stabilising fins... please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Am I missing something huge here or has anyone else experienced this? Dumb bombs shouldn't behave like Mavericks surely!

Re: "Dumb" bombs not so dumb?

The FAB bombs on the MI-24 behave like this too, I thought it was normal. Never tried to lock with the regular AV-8. LGB bombs (A-8 and A-10) cant get a lock without a laser des., this is either a bug/issue or at least unbalanced IMO.
    When deeds speak, words are nothing.
    Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Comment

This is awesome, GJ. I'm looking forward to using this in game.
      Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Comment

Yea you're right Nyax, you can't select targets at all as far as I can tell when using LGBs. The FAB-250s on the CDF's SU-25 definitely do though.

It's actually a bit ridiculous, the FAB-250s are in some ways better than the CH-29 guided missiles on the Russian planes - you generally need to fire some ways before the target and have a clean approach to ensure the CH-29s don't overshoot/miss. With the FAB-250s I can drop them on selected targets practically when I'm on top of them and they'll hit perfectly.

Not sure what BIS was thinking, making unguided bombs super-guided...

Comment

we played a mission with one in some time back, and fansadox basicly completed the mission for us, all we did was fly in some hueys to a LZ and pick a downed pilot!
          i think its bugged as i think the unguided bombs are supposed to be unguided and they are for pilots to do manual bombing runs

Comment

yup very odd, we played stonewall a couple of times a few nights ago, and i was flying CAS with the Harrier. first round i was just doing bombing runs by trying to guesstimate impacts of the Mk82s...
            Second round i was advised they could actually lock, i figured this was just for the purposse of having something to go on... to try to make a clean approach when approaching the target. Didn't really think anything further of it... would explain the higher tank killratio i had in the second round though...
            sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

A very strange way to go about the usage of unguided bombs. They should have added a cross hair symbol where the bomb is going to hit instead, so the pilot can line up for the run.

I dont know if it is intentional or just a bug, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

My second reply was intended for the "Weapon Accessory Switching Script" thread in the "Armed Assault - Mod & Mission Development forum". I think I picked the wrong window in which to quick-reply...
                Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Comment

It is probably because of the difficulty setting. If playing on regular it is defaulted to "AT weapon aim assist" or whatever it's called. It means that even TOWs and Metis-M missiles which are wire-guided becomes tab-target homing weapons.

I assume it's the same for the bombs.

So it's no bug, just a case of SBK :P

Comment

That was my first thought too, but the bombs seem to behave like missiles irregardless of the AT auto aim being on or off.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Inkompetent View Post
                      So it's no bug, just a case of SBK :P
                      SBK? That's a new one to me.

Comment

The un-guided A10 bombs dont lock for me on any setting. Is it only ment (as far as an accident can be ment) to work with the jump jet?
                        Nihility

Comment

the bombs on the A10 are LGB's so they will only lock on to laser targets, the unguided bombs found on one varient of the harrier (cant remember which one) will lock onto targets.

imo the auto aim feature was ment to be a sort of helping guide for when to drop the bombs rather than make them guided, it would be interesting to know if the bombs still hit if the target is moving around

Comment

I'm actually pondering about how one would proceed to make a CCIP mod for the jets in ArmA2, now that we have the getPosATL and setPosATL commands since 1.03.

How to figure out the ballistics of the bombs is quite a nut to crack though afaik.

Non the less it should definitely put a new dimension to using dumb bombs since it removes most of the guesswork.

Comment

You guys should read the thread, I said in the first post that I tried changing to Expert and that makes no difference. We've also covered that LGBs cannot lock on to targets.

browna - I've hit moving targets before, in my experience the auto guidance is very accurate, so much so that if you drop from a good height you're pretty much guaranteed a kill, no matter where you are in relation to the target.

EDIT: I tried out the TOW and Metis on Expert, and the TOW behaves normally (no lock-on, it goes where you aim). The Metis has no tab-lock either, but it still seems to guide itself much like the Javelin (which also doesn't tab-lock on Expert) - you just aim through the sights at your target and the missile guides itself to the target, even if you switch weapons just after firing. It's actually quite fun having to look through the sight of most weapons to use them - for example the Stinger has no tab-lock so you have to aim through the sight. Makes for a more engrossing game I find, it's just too easy to whip out a stinger and instantly fire on easier difficulties.

Double-EDIT: Actually you can still whip out and fire the stinger, however if there are multiple targets you can't tell which one you've locked, so need to look through the sight.
                              Last edited by Lhowon; 08-12-2009, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X