Has anyone seen my plate carrier?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone seen my plate carrier?

So I went and shot some marines this evening. Here's what I found out.

A single 5.56 round to the center of a Marines plate carrier will kill him pretty much every time.

Likewise, a single .45 pistol round is a more or less garunteed kill.

However, a 9mm pistol round requires as many as four shots to kill.

In conclusion, Hitpoint systems really do not accurately reflect how bullets, people, and armor work.

Would it be possible to script a percent chance that a player, when shot by certain classes of bullets, will not be effected, so as to simulate the presence of armor and a helmet?

Re: Has anyone seen my plate carrier?

what range were you shooting them at?

Comment

Originally posted by Skin View Post
      what range were you shooting them at?
      About 10-50 feet. Does bullet energy figure into hit damage?

Comment

Yes.

Unfortunately armor is not simulated though.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

This wants fixing. I shall consult the coding elves.

Comment

Or he was beeing lazy, left the heavy SAPIs at home and relied on his PACA... :p
            lol would explain the 9mm not geting through.

In all seriousness, the simulation of hard armor would be nice!

and now i'm off to try and spot if the ingame models rock PACAs lol
            sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Try firing pistols at helmets. Unless something has changed recently, they provide absolutely zero protection as well.

BIS games by default have never simulated body armor worth anything. This is a big reason for why mods like WGL and ACE introduced their wounding systems and tweaked damage models - without that, you get the impression that modern soldiers are utterly unprotected and can be felled by any type of round hitting them practically anywhere, every time, etc. The reality is far more complex, but the default games don't do a terribly good job of representing that. It certainly doesn't help that the entire torso of the characters is one giant damage zone, instead of being broken down into the various components that exist in reality, and their corresponding ability to take or not take damage, coupled with an armor simulation that differentiates between soft and hard armor and the various levels of protection that each give.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                Try firing pistols at helmets. Unless something has changed recently, they provide absolutely zero protection as well.
                As far as I know an ACH can't withstand a 9mm round its mainly for shrapnel and hard surfaces.

Comment

Helmets are rated Class IIIA. They're rated against 9mm and .44 Mag in their trials.

Comment

Is it even possible to model body armor with the current engine?

I do find it strange that Bis would leave stuff like this out and still claim arma as one of the best mill sims around but I guess they keep all the good stuff for vbs

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                    So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Would be nice, but I think there's more important things that can be done in place of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post

BIS games by default have never simulated body armor worth anything. This is a big reason for why mods like WGL and ACE introduced their wounding systems and tweaked damage models - without that, you get the impression that modern soldiers are utterly unprotected and can be felled by any type of round hitting them practically anywhere, every time, etc. The reality is far more complex, but the default games don't do a terribly good job of representing that. It certainly doesn't help that the entire torso of the characters is one giant damage zone, instead of being broken down into the various components that exist in reality, and their corresponding ability to take or not take damage, coupled with an armor simulation that differentiates between soft and hard armor and the various levels of protection that each give.
                        Man, simulated armor would be so sweet.

Comment

I do wish they would take the time to model this. It's really not a minor thing, it has a huge impact on how we play.

http://milvideos.magnify.net/video/U...t-by-sniper-po

I think this video sums up how I perceive body armor work, and why I feel that body armor is something that should be modeled in the game. Getting shot with a .45 ACP in the center of the chest shouldn't be fatal to a US marine!

Comment

It's not just armor. Tonight I was playing TvT and with my SAW I shot at an ei through one of those tin fences in the game less than 50 feet. After laying out 20 or 30 rounds in a pattern, he peeks around the fence still breathing.

Ballistics are a bit wonky.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobruk View Post
                              It's not just armor. Tonight I was playing TvT and with my SAW I shot at an ei through one of those tin fences in the game less than 50 feet. After laying out 20 or 30 rounds in a pattern, he peeks around the fence still breathing.

Ballistics are a bit wonky.
                              similar situation happened to me.. its extremely annoying!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X