X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmA2 Expansion: Operation Arrowhead

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/49...Pack-Announced

Quoting:
    Three years after the conflict in Chernarus, portrayed in the original ARMA II, a new flashpoint in the Green Sea region heats up and coalition forces led by the US Army are sent to Takistan to quickly restore peace and prevent further civilian casualties.

Set into the new, visually attractive environment of hilly central Asia, Operation Arrowhead will offer realistic combat simulation experience in a modern day setting with unprecedented freedom of movement, actions and tactics. Players will enlist into various roles within the US Army, from basic infantrymen, through special operatives, to pilots and tank crew in this new installment in the award winning line up of military simulators for PC from Bohemia Interactive.
    The campaign sounds a lot closer to the original Flashpoint style than the A1/A2 campaign styles. Should be interesting to see - hopefully a feature list will be revealed soon. New terrain and such is nice, but the engine-level features they can do are what would sell it for me.

ArmA2 add-on coming... link

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=65215

Sure wish they would fix a couple of major bugs first, (like VON crashing dedicated servers) but good news none the less.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Re: ArmA2 add-on coming... link

Agree, far far too early. Bug fixing should be a priority not an add on that will contain the same screw ups and probably introduce a few more for good measure. I am all for supporting BIS but this is a bit off to me....

Comment

Re: ArmA2 add-on coming... link

I'm all for it as it it'll introduce some variety as far as maps go. Hopefully you'll be able to play missions for both Chern and this new country whose name escapes me minutes after reading the article.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Re: ArmA2 Expansion: Operation Arrowhead

Kinda sucks, that it is standalone, hope we dont have to switch apps to play on arma2 or arrow maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
            Kinda sucks, that it is standalone, hope we dont have to switch apps to play on arma2 or arrow maps.
            If it being standalone means that they'll be introducing new engine-level functionality, I think that'll be a fair tradeoff.

With the way it's written, this sounds like it will be a lot like Resistance was for OFP. I wouldn't be surprised to see it become the de facto A2 version for mod purposes, which Queen's Gambit for ArmA1 simply did not achieve by any stretch of the imagination. I guess it will depend on what exactly they're doing, feature-wise, though.

Comment

@Rocco: will probably work just like queens gambit did on arma1. Will most likely load like a mod

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
              The BigC

Comment

Awesome setting. But I hope this wont be just another QG disappointment.

I can understand why they are making it stand-alone, Arma 2 was not too representable out-of-the-box, and many more patches are on the way.

Playername Sparks444 in BF2

Comment

You guys notice the picture of the AH64D? Hopefully it'll come with a lot of new vehicles and weapons. Can't wait to hear the scheduled release date.

Comment

Sounds interesting!

| |

Comment

Sounds like their trying to hype down OFP2 eventual release, or they might have realized that they need to make a new game to fix the errors with Arma 2, which will probably be mainly with the sound system.

Comment

Standalone sounds bad because it'll be a playerbase splitter.
                        Otherwise it sounds pretty cool. Do wish they'd just devote their entire team to bug fixing for now though.

Comment

Originally posted by LT. Razgriz View Post
                          Do wish they'd just devote their entire team to bug fixing for now though.
                          Fully agree...fixing VON is the MOST important issue IMHO right now.... I am beginning to truly dislike TS. It also affects mission design, as most of mine are designed for VON.

Yet again I see we have to have US Forces as the primary role. If they do not allow players to have a selection from some International Forces, again I will be sorely disappointed. I am getting sick to death of playing the US Marines....

Personally I would have preferred them to have concentrated on fixing the current issues with A2 and allow the mod community through people like the ACE group, and map makers like OPX, to create to new "Afghan" style territories.

My wish list:
                          A fixed ArmA2 running to the level of ArmA1 after the final patch.
                          ACE for ArmA2
                          New Afghan/Iraq maps...

NOT a new standalone title...
                          BlackDog1

"What we do in life... echoes in eternity!"

Comment

Hey guys, Deadfast over at the BIS forums summed up the main points pretty well:

"Just to suppress the confusion a little this is a quick sum-up of what I've learned from this thread:

* The expansion will be called Operation Arrowhead (obvious )
                            * It will take place in Takistan, a fictional Middle Eastern country, 3 years after Harvest Red (ARMA 2 campaign)
                            * 2 screenshots: Apache and Local woman
                            * The BLUFOR side will include the US Army
                            * It will be stand-alone - you will not need the original ARMA 2 (think of Half-Life 2's Episodes)
                            * If you do have ARMA 2 you will be able to use all of its content (units, campaign, missions) in Op. Arrowhead - it should be backwards compatible
                            * Most of the improvements should be available for ARMA 2 in the form of free patch(es), this includes engine bug fixes
                            * More info will be known from the GamesCom that will take place between August 19 and August 23 2009 in Cologne, Germany (BIS should have their stand in Hall 04.2, booth L034 - part inaccessible for the general public - source), there will be another "surprise" we will learn from there. "

Comment

The simplest way to put it is that the "entire team" cannot be "put towards bug fixing". The artists, mission devs, etc, can only contribute a limited extent towards that, working on the content that they created. The programmers are responsible for the engine-level bugs. If the content bugs and issues are mostly sorted, the content/mission/etc employees will sit idle unless they have some other tasking. An expansion fits that bill nicely. The programmers continue to improve the underlying engine and any engine issues, the content guys make new content for an expansion, and the net result is more content and improvement than would happen otherwise.

In any case, if this expansion turns out anything like OFP's "Resistance", it will be the best thing to have happened to this series since... well, Resistance itself.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X