A lot of questions from a hope-to-be player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lot of questions from a hope-to-be player

Wall of Text notice: Feel free to skip to the bold, underlined area where I begin the question section, if you want to skip my little life story there.

Well, first things first let me give you some info about my situation, as to why I am a 'hope-to-be' player, rather than just a 'soon-to-be'.

Very recently, I moved away from home to come live with relatives during college. I left my desktop PC back home, due to a number of reasons. One would be that it was impossible to make the trip up here with it in the car (my family was coming with me due to the fact that my mother is having surgery but was leaving from here by train due to an inability to fly; longstoryshort packed up the car with essentials and came up here). Two was that my family was concerned I would be far too involved with gaming while in college (while I intend not to be too involved, my ADD and lack of games from the 2-3 weeks of being up here, I am developing minor insomnia and am very bored throughout the day). Three, and here's the kicker, my college of choice, being a private, specialized (read: expensive) tech school is supplying students with Macbook Pro laptops, the fee for which is bundled into registration fees.

Now, the school is an accelerated program (2 years for Bachelors), so I'll be very much busy trying to cram 4 years of school into 2 years, not to mention that the schedule for the school is sometimes very outrageous (being in class extremely late, etc) since they run tight to try to do all of this work in half the time. This will make my gaming accesibility very sporadic, but hopefully still very much there so that I will be able to take some time off from working to play, and relax.

Now, for some of the questions. (Feel free to skim the Bold part of each question, to pinpoint things you can answer)

1a. Running the game: From what I can gather, I should be recieving a Macbook Pro 15" laptop, with an Intel Core2Duo 3.0(ish) GHz proc, 4 gb RAM, a 9400M Integrated GPU and a 9600M GT discrete GPU.
    Assuming this is true and I run either Windows XP or Windows 7RC on a Bootcamp partition (by that I mean running Windows OS off of the Macbook Pro system, natively so there is no loss of processing power), how well should the computer handle ArmA2? Can I run on high graphics and maintain a good 60 FPS around most areas, and 30-40 FPS on some intense moments (big explosions, whathaveyou)?

1b. If I download the demo, should I expect it to run just as smoothly as the full game (As in, will the demo be any faster or slower in the FPS department due to it having 'less' of the game, or should that not matter/change)?

2. Kit Loadouts: How is weapons loadout handled? I have seen certain screenshots that make me assume that you can personalize your loadout to use, say, a scoped M16A4 or one with a reflex sight, or ironsights, etc; or to choose what kind of other equipment you carry (Grenades, Smoke, etc)?

3. Lag?: I've heard that the lag can become pretty bad in ArmA games, especially when flying. How much does this really affect the game? If I'm flying in a transport helicopter, and I lose connection for a moment, what is likely to happen (is it likely that I will be crashed/on the way to crashing) after a 'lag-spike'?

4. Flying: How is flying in ArmA2? Is there a demand for good transport pilots? I have always been a flier at heart, and would love to learn how to be a reliable pilot in ArmA2 so that every once in a while I can help get people around without screwing up. While I love CAS, I would prefer to really stay away from that until I have a lot of knowledge about it and can really do what is needed of me when I am in those kinds of vehicles.

5a. As an infantryman: How is the infantry? I understand that it is a very big part of gameplay and is supposed to be very realistic. Coming from Project Reality, I'm sure that I'm missing out on some of ArmA2's best features when it comes to infantry.

5b. Medic: How about being a medic? I very much enjoy kind of 'saving lives' in war games, so I was curious as to how medic-ing in ArmA2 was handled. I understand you can drag/carry the wounded to safety, but how is the system from there? Is it expected that I treat specific injuries, or is it kind of a broad 'healing' system? Again, coming from PR, I'm quite a bit used to a broad healing system... but I've also played America's Army 3 a bit, and being a medic there requires a bit of knowledge as to what to do to an incapacitated teammate's wound such as administering saline, splinting a limb, administering smelling salts for blunt trauma, etc so that you can get them back up without harming them. I liked that system better, but it's not a huge game-breaker for me.

5c. Grenadier: How is being a grenadier? I enjoy playing with the UGLs in PR/AA3, how do the M203/equivalent UGLs act in ArmA2? Is there a good functioning leafsight system for them, or is it more of an experience thing where you 'just know' where to aim after using it for some time?

6. Missions: How are missions handled? With the mission editor, I suppose it's got to be relatively easy to create missions and all which I suppose is great since so many can be made and played. When a mission is finished, does a new mission load based on a set that has been 'assigned' to the server? Is a mission voted on? How long does a usual mission take (depending on what is involved)?

7. Ground Vehicles: How are armored vehicles? What kind of functionality does the game give you (types of ammunition, use of other weapons on the vehicle like for instance something like a Bradley's TOW missiles or otherwise)? Can you fire on the move somewhat reliably?

8a. Accessory, Joystick: Is flying a helicopter with a joystick able to be done well in the game (in PR, from what I understand, it's easier to do with a mouse). I have never owned a joystick before for PC games; what kinds should I be on the lookout for? Preferably, I would love one with the buttons and etc I need to play without needing to also use a keyboard but also isn't extremely unnecessarily bulky, or too pricey.

8b. Accessory, TrackIR: I have seen dslyecxi's video of ArmA2 and TrackIR 5/Headclip Pro. I am very, very intrigued. It looks like it is one amazing accessory to have with the game. Luckily, I have a lot of grad-money and some funds I can pull out to afford this kind of thing, however I noticed he includes places to get discounts on the product (checking the page given it seemed that the discount price was supposed to be a limited time offer but the main page seems to say that the price for the TrackIR5 bundle is now less than that). Is dslyecxi's discount still available? Are there other discounts out there? Any other things I should know about it?

9. Servers/Games: Now, I full-well intend to play primarily, if not exclusively on TG. From what I can gather, there is 2 servers for TG? What are the differences?

9b. Game times: Are there times when a kind of 'password' night occurs (PR players should definitely understand this)? By that I mean where getting in the server requires a password from the forums or TS, or is just scheduled to have a certain mission playing/with a high level of teamplay expected?

9c. Server settings: What are some of the basic server settings TG uses? I see in a lot of the TG gameplay videos that crosshairs are enabled, third person is enabled (I have read and understood why this is on, and I agree for the most part), etc. Is this for all the servers?

9d. Player settings: What kind of settings can be changed player-side? For instance, can I disable my crosshair? Can I remove or customize parts of my HUD (like for instance turning off friendly indicators)?

If you have any other tips, either feel free to include them under the appropriate question's number, or add them as a '#10' response. If some of these can be answered in-depth, all the better; even if that requires a link to another page, please, feel free to save yourself some typing.

I may ask more questions in the course of this thread, depending on whether I can think up more.

Thanks for all of the help, in advance!

Re: A lot of questions from a hope-to-be player

Now, for some of the questions. (Feel free to skim the Bold part of each question, to pinpoint things you can answer)

1a. Running the game: From what I can gather, I should be recieving a Macbook Pro 15" laptop, with an Intel Core2Duo 3.0(ish) GHz proc, 4 gb RAM, a 9400M Integrated GPU and a 9600M GT discrete GPU.
    Assuming this is true and I run either Windows XP or Windows 7RC on a Bootcamp partition (by that I mean running Windows OS off of the Macbook Pro system, natively so there is no loss of processing power), how well should the computer handle ArmA2? Can I run on high graphics and maintain a good 60 FPS around most areas, and 30-40 FPS on some intense moments (big explosions, whathaveyou)?

Dont know, though I'd expect about 40 on medium settings with the amount of ram and processor

1b. If I download the demo, should I expect it to run just as smoothly as the full game (As in, will the demo be any faster or slower in the FPS department due to it having 'less' of the game, or should that not matter/change)?

Wont change

2. Kit Loadouts: How is weapons loadout handled? I have seen certain screenshots that make me assume that you can personalize your loadout to use, say, a scoped M16A4 or one with a reflex sight, or ironsights, etc; or to choose what kind of other equipment you carry (Grenades, Smoke, etc)?

Depends on the mission

3. Lag?: I've heard that the lag can become pretty bad in ArmA games, especially when flying. How much does this really affect the game? If I'm flying in a transport helicopter, and I lose connection for a moment, what is likely to happen (is it likely that I will be crashed/on the way to crashing) after a 'lag-spike'?

Lag is known as desync in Arma2. This usually only occurs when a mission is too big, or too many scripts are running, sort of like Ramiel in PR

4. Flying: How is flying in ArmA2? Is there a demand for good transport pilots? I have always been a flier at heart, and would love to learn how to be a reliable pilot in ArmA2 so that every once in a while I can help get people around without screwing up. While I love CAS, I would prefer to really stay away from that until I have a lot of knowledge about it and can really do what is needed of me when I am in those kinds of vehicles.

Not really a shortage of pilots, the flying mechanic is much different to PR, Helicopter's handle more realisticly, landing is much slower and AA is much better, that said, providing you can fly, you'll probably get a few flights in on multiplayer

5a. As an infantryman: How is the infantry? I understand that it is a very big part of gameplay and is supposed to be very realistic. Coming from Project Reality, I'm sure that I'm missing out on some of ArmA2's best features when it comes to infantry.

The game is built around infantry, and some of the features such as weapon sway as opposed to deviation are nice, but infantry has more to do than fight in PR, as navigating comes into a big part, as well as formations.

5b. Medic: How about being a medic? I very much enjoy kind of 'saving lives' in war games, so I was curious as to how medic-ing in ArmA2 was handled. I understand you can drag/carry the wounded to safety, but how is the system from there? Is it expected that I treat specific injuries, or is it kind of a broad 'healing' system? Again, coming from PR, I'm quite a bit used to a broad healing system... but I've also played America's Army 3 a bit, and being a medic there requires a bit of knowledge as to what to do to an incapacitated teammate's wound such as administering saline, splinting a limb, administering smelling salts for blunt trauma, etc so that you can get them back up without harming them. I liked that system better, but it's not a huge game-breaker for me.

Broad healing system currently, ACE 2 will make it more specific but for now its like PR apart from the dragging and firemans lift

5c. Grenadier: How is being a grenadier? I enjoy playing with the UGLs in PR/AA3, how do the M203/equivalent UGLs act in ArmA2? Is there a good functioning leafsight system for them, or is it more of an experience thing where you 'just know' where to aim after using it for some time?

Currently, it sucks. No leafsight

6. Missions: How are missions handled? With the mission editor, I suppose it's got to be relatively easy to create missions and all which I suppose is great since so many can be made and played. When a mission is finished, does a new mission load based on a set that has been 'assigned' to the server? Is a mission voted on? How long does a usual mission take (depending on what is involved)?

Placing unit's is simple enough, but getting a full working mission takes a bit of reading and scripting. Play a lot of missions before you go on the editor, so you can get a feel of how the mission should be arranged.

7. Ground Vehicles: How are armored vehicles? What kind of functionality does the game give you (types of ammunition, use of other weapons on the vehicle like for instance something like a Bradley's TOW missiles or otherwise)? Can you fire on the move somewhat reliably?

You get a few basic armoued vehicles in Arma 2. Firing on the move is easy, and there's a broad range of ammunition.

8a. Accessory, Joystick: Is flying a helicopter with a joystick able to be done well in the game (in PR, from what I understand, it's easier to do with a mouse). I have never owned a joystick before for PC games; what kinds should I be on the lookout for? Preferably, I would love one with the buttons and etc I need to play without needing to also use a keyboard but also isn't extremely unnecessarily bulky, or too pricey.

It varies from player to player. I prefer flying anything with a keyboard, because I need the extra buttons, but some people prefer joysticks because they can get their hand on the controls. Any joystick will do really.

8b. Accessory, TrackIR: I have seen dslyecxi's video of ArmA2 and TrackIR 5/Headclip Pro. I am very, very intrigued. It looks like it is one amazing accessory to have with the game. Luckily, I have a lot of grad-money and some funds I can pull out to afford this kind of thing, however I noticed he includes places to get discounts on the product (checking the page given it seemed that the discount price was supposed to be a limited time offer but the main page seems to say that the price for the TrackIR5 bundle is now less than that). Is dslyecxi's discount still available? Are there other discounts out there? Any other things I should know about it?

Dont have a clue. Im poor so neverl looked into it

9. Servers/Games: Now, I full-well intend to play primarily, if not exclusively on TG. From what I can gather, there is 2 servers for TG? What are the differences?

One is for CoOp, the other is for T vs T, though T v T isn't popular until the ingame VoN gets fixed

9b. Game times: Are there times when a kind of 'password' night occurs (PR players should definitely understand this)? By that I mean where getting in the server requires a password from the forums or TS, or is just scheduled to have a certain mission playing/with a high level of teamplay expected?

Check Browna or Marine's bi weekly stickies

9c. Server settings: What are some of the basic server settings TG uses? I see in a lot of the TG gameplay videos that crosshairs are enabled, third person is enabled (I have read and understood why this is on, and I agree for the most part), etc. Is this for all the servers?

Only for server 1, Server 2 has no 3rd person, no crosshairs and no live map markers

9d. Player settings: What kind of settings can be changed player-side? For instance, can I disable my crosshair? Can I remove or customize parts of my HUD (like for instance turning off friendly indicators)?

I think you can't unless you download some mods, these settings are server side. The settings you can change is graphics( not viewdistance ), Audio and controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Eavy Gunner View Post

Lag is known as desync in Arma2. This usually only occurs when a mission is too big, or too many scripts are running, sort of like Ramiel in PR
      So, for the most part, it isn't to be expected on missions that have been tested properly beforehand?

One is for CoOp, the other is for T vs T, though T v T isn't popular until the ingame VoN gets fixed

Only for server 1, Server 2 has no 3rd person, no crosshairs and no live map markers

I think you can't unless you download some mods, these settings are server side. The settings you can change is graphics( not viewdistance ), Audio and controls.
      Ah, I see. I wonder if there are any client-side crosshair removers. Personally it just irks me to have the crosshair. But maybe I'd feel differently actually using it in-game

Thanks for the help.

Comment

There are mods that remove crosshair along with at least one that gives you a sense of general direction while not actually being useful to shoot with, mainly for TrackIR users.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74133
        http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=80358

Comment

Originally posted by LT. Razgriz View Post
          There are mods that remove crosshair along with at least one that gives you a sense of general direction while not actually being useful to shoot with, mainly for TrackIR users.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74133
          http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=80358
          Oh, cool, thanks.

Are there any crosshair mods specifically for the M203? I found a single video on youtube that showed the crosshairs, and they look similar to PR's (with the exception that PR puts the leafsight underneath the overlay, to make it seem like you're using it), but they don't have anything to tell you which line is for what range.

Are they at least spaced properly to be able to use them to tell where to fire? What are the distances it shows from top to bottom?

Comment

No mods currently for the M203 cross-hairs but its early days and one may come along.
            The distances are shown at the bottom of the first page here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=80754

Comment

1a. Your Macbook Pro is perhaps the only laptop known to man that just might be capable of running ArmA2. I disagree with EavyGunner about your overall performance ability, however (did you perhaps not notice that these are "mobile" GPUs?): I'd expect lowest detail settings and 40 frames maximum. ArmA2 is extremely intensive from both a CPU and GPU perspective, and laptops are not at all suited to that amount of stress.

1b. Again I disagree with EavyGunner. Since the demo is on a smaller map with less active scripts and modules active, you will notice much better performance in the demo version of the game than in the full version of the game playing in Chernarus. Expect a 10% drop in performance.

2. ArmA2 uses a rucksack-based inventory system that allows for one primary weapon, one heavy (ie. rocket/missile) weapon, one secondary weapon (ie. pistol), and several slots for ammunition and supplies. Although accessories are not customizable on a platform-base system, several variants of most weapons exist, including those equipped with optics, suppressors, or barrel-mounted grenade launchers.

3. ArmA2's base net code dates back to Operation Flashpoint, a decade in the past. As such, the game is prone to fits of desynchronization wherein individual players receive updates from the master server (significantly) later than intended for real-time gameplay, which can lead to hang-ups and unplayability. Fortunately, desynchronization is only a major issue on poorly-designed or unoptimized user-made missions. The better the server hardware, the fewer the players, and the better-designed a mission, the less "desync" becomes an issue. At Tactical Gamer, players under 50 and on a [TG] mission rarely have desync issues.

4. The flight model in ArmA2 is much less realistic and accurate than Project Reality in almost all instances aside from engagement range. Everyone and their mother wants to fly, and we regularly switch pilots to make sure everyone gets their turn.

5a. ArmA2 is by far the most comprehensive and realistic infantry simulator ever devised for commercial gaming. It is also, inherently, much different from Project Reality. ArmA2 strives at being a tactics-first, skills-second chess game that quite accurately relies more on the careful use of strategic assets to accomplish an objective, rather than the PR-esque skill-focused gameplay system. Reaction time is rarely as much a factor as being in a better position with bigger guns.

Additionally, ArmA2 is a much slower-paced affair. Getting to or from an objective may take as long as 10-15 minutes, and clearing a single town of enemy light infantry presence can be an hour-long affair. Since few games permit respawns, every minute is taken to ensure no one dies needlessly.

5b. Corpsmen are deployed as realistically as possible in ArmA2, mission-dependent. In most [TG] missions, all soldiers can carry or treat wounded, but only corpsmen can fix them back up to battlefield standard. Default wounding system includes bleeding, limb-appropriate damage and disabilities, carrying, dragging, treating, and healing wounded.

5c. Under-barrel grenade launchers are modeled on most weapons realistically (note: several weapons do not model leafsights accurately, if at all). They can fire HE rounds as well as smoke grenades and flares. They are the Swiss Army knife of ArmA2.

6. All ArmA2 missions rely heavily on scripting to handle things such as objectives, enemies, special tools or weapons, special actions, etc. etc. Without a basic understanding of the underlying scripting behind a mission, it is impossible to make a new mission. Fortunately, there are plenty of tutorials and it really isn't too hard to learn. I merely advise not to approach the editor as a device that will "do it for you".

7. Most ground vehicles are modeled realistically, and require far more coordination and teamwork than games like Project Reality.

8a. Joystick is nice, but optional.

8b. TrackIR is fine, if you don't mind the pricetag.

9. Tactical Gamer operates two ArmA2 servers: Alpha and Bravo. Alpha is reserved for cooperative missions while Bravo specializes in player-vs-player sortees. Bravo employs strict difficulty handicaps such as no third-person-view, no crosshairs, and fewer bearings.

9b. Marine and Browna will sticky any upcoming "playdates" long in advance. Check 'em!

9c. See above. Alpha is mostly "vanilla".

9d. You can minimize the HUD to your heart's delight, with enough mods installed.

Comment

4. The flight model in ArmA2 is much less realistic and accurate than Project Reality in almost all instances aside from engagement range. Everyone and their mother wants to fly, and we regularly switch pilots to make sure everyone gets their turn.
                arma helis are much better

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Tooth_Tigger View Post
                  Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
                  arma helis are much better
                  I would have to agree with Tigger, just based on flying in PR and watching videos on ArmA2.

Some things are a little funky, maybe, with ArmA's flight mechanics (like how sometimes the pilots will pitch the helicopter up to extreme levels to bring the helicopter to a stop instead of easing it into the stop), but for the most part it seems better.

Maybe I'll feel differently in-game.

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
                  1a. Your Macbook Pro is perhaps the only laptop known to man that just might be capable of running ArmA2. I disagree with EavyGunner about your overall performance ability, however (did you perhaps not notice that these are "mobile" GPUs?): I'd expect lowest detail settings and 40 frames maximum. ArmA2 is extremely intensive from both a CPU and GPU perspective, and laptops are not at all suited to that amount of stress.
                  I know they are mobile, don't know whether gunner realizes that fact...

I saw youtube videos of it being played on a Mac Pro (which is using a GTX280 something), and somewhere on the MacRumors forum someone said that Mac Pro's gpus are mobile too. I'm not sure if that's still true considering the fact that post was about 3 years ago, but I don't know if I ask, so... It's worth a try, anyway.

Hopefully I could squeeze some juice out of the game and get to enjoy it... if not, then I'll stick to playing PR, as the laptop should handle that better than my old desktop rig. (Now just to get a copy of windows XP on it in bootcamp so I can run it full capacity...)

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
                    I would have to agree with Tigger, just based on flying in PR and watching videos on ArmA2.

Some things are a little funky, maybe, with ArmA's flight mechanics (like how sometimes the pilots will pitch the helicopter up to extreme levels to bring the helicopter to a stop instead of easing it into the stop), but for the most part it seems better.

Maybe I'll feel differently in-game.

I know they are mobile, don't know whether gunner realizes that fact...

I saw youtube videos of it being played on a Mac Pro (which is using a GTX280 something), and somewhere on the MacRumors forum someone said that Mac Pro's gpus are mobile too. I'm not sure if that's still true considering the fact that post was about 3 years ago, but I don't know if I ask, so... It's worth a try, anyway.

Hopefully I could squeeze some juice out of the game and get to enjoy it... if not, then I'll stick to playing PR, as the laptop should handle that better than my old desktop rig. (Now just to get a copy of windows XP on it in bootcamp so I can run it full capacity...)

Basically, a 9600M is a rough equivalent of a desktop 9500GT, a bit slower. A GTX280 is a beastly card, practically a top end one so there's no possible comparison between the two. Whereas a 280 is capable of running the game nearly maxed out with a steady framerate, 40-50fps, depending on the processor, a 9500GT will not even get close.

Comment

Originally posted by flakt View Post
                      Basically, a 9600M is a rough equivalent of a desktop 9500GT, a bit slower. A GTX280 is a beastly card, practically a top end one so there's no possible comparison between the two. Whereas a 280 is capable of running the game nearly maxed out with a steady framerate, 40-50fps, depending on the processor, a 9500GT will not even get close.
                      Yes, I understand that. I wasn't implying that the card would perform the same as the GTX280.

But there is still the possibility of the laptop being able to run the game, whether it be on high graphics or not is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
                        Yes, I understand that. I wasn't implying that the card would perform the same as the GTX280.

But there is still the possibility of the laptop being able to run the game, whether it be on high graphics or not is another matter.
                        I was just saying that a 9600M is a mobile card, whereas a GTX 280 is a desktop card.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X