Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where do I go from here?

Hi all,

A while ago I was following arma2 previews and was so blown away that I went mental and bought a new rig to play it on.

I have been gaming since I was 10 (now 38) but have always steered clear of mil-sims until now.

I've played through most of the single player stuff and spent a few days going online.

But I can't seem to get past joining a game and just running around shooting at stuff on my own. There seems to be no team/squad communication.

How do I get into team work?

Am I missing something? Being too impatient? I haven't played any sort of cooperative online game before and maybe I am missing something!

I've set up teamspeak but it just seems to be mostly a bunch of guys flying helis around and kicking noobs for making mistakes.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

moufflon

Re: where do I go from here?

Yes its a problem with the basic command design of the game.

It is best to play on a good server like TG and you will find all the sqaud leaders you need.

Comment

yeah, playing on TG and playing on a public server..TOTALLY differant..they basically made this game for TG and shack tactical, then made money off everyone else :)

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Hey mate!

Like all the above said: Play on TG :D

Ive been playing PR for a very long time and havnt played on a non TG server in well over a year.

I got ARMA2 just over a week ago and havnt even bothered checking out any of the other servers. Your gaming skills wont progress if you keep **** company!
        Nihility

Comment

OK. I'm in the same boat.

Servers make no sense to me - maybe i'm too old?
          I logged into TG server Bravo today and received very little help. What is the protocol for your servers?

I'm new - played the tutorials and single player so I know how to navigate the game. MP is a mystery.

Questions:
          1. When i join TG server for first time - who do i ask for to show me around - do you have a separate ts channel to learn in?
          2. If it is "learn by doing" , how do i ensure i don't fark up and get kicked?
          3. I read your SOP. do i just log in, introduce myself and ask the commander for a particular team what to do?

help a guy get started... please.

Comment

When you join the server, just say that you are new on the game and need help.

Sure that some one will help.

Or just ask for help on ts ^^

Comment

Dooom,

Thankyou for your reply.

Your concerns are exactly the same as mine.

There is no easy way in as far as I can see. Today I went on multiplayer and joined alpha squad on teamspeak. Trying to figure out what is going on whilst listening to the experienced players is hard. Interrupting their game conversation with silly questions seemed wrong so I just tried to follow and learn.

They spend quite a lot of time kicking noobs who break rules and also kicking players to let their mates in when the server is full.

I was trying hard not to do anything stupid but managed to fail to revive some squad member who was not best pleased. It appeared he forgot my new status pretty quickly when I started making mistakes! After a threat to kick me for not being a team player I left of my own accord.

Good fun hey.

Comment

ok - i just spent some time in Bravo server.

TG tarmpaket from the irregulars helped me out quite a bit. although i didnt fire my weapon once, i learned how to switch teams, para jump to LZ, switch weapons to silenced, choose flag teleports and use the chat channels. worth while i'd say. Its amazing how little a person learns in SP mode for the MP play online.. There's quite a bit to discover on your own isnt there?

Thanks tarmpaket. hopefully next time i'll be able to stick closer to you guys and contribute.

S!

Comment

d0o0m and moufflon.... pm'd ya

|

Comment

I gotta say, I love seeing these questions. If I'm online, I'll always try to help.

Just remember the spacebar cheat (ie-- if you aren't sure if it's a friendly, point at it and press spacebar), don't use vehicles like personal taxis, and don't go Rambo and you will already be out of noob status.

Comment

d0o0m if you got Xfire add me: "hulken91" and i can help you more next time you play, or if you see me in-game just say something in the chat.

It's quite hard to get used to this game but it's worth it in the long run.
                      Spartan 10

Comment

Originally posted by moufflon View Post
                        Dooom,

Thankyou for your reply.

Your concerns are exactly the same as mine.

There is no easy way in as far as I can see. Today I went on multiplayer and joined alpha squad on teamspeak. Trying to figure out what is going on whilst listening to the experienced players is hard. Interrupting their game conversation with silly questions seemed wrong so I just tried to follow and learn.

They spend quite a lot of time kicking noobs who break rules and also kicking players to let their mates in when the server is full.

I was trying hard not to do anything stupid but managed to fail to revive some squad member who was not best pleased. It appeared he forgot my new status pretty quickly when I started making mistakes! After a threat to kick me for not being a team player I left of my own accord.

Good fun hey.
                        ?? Surely this can not be on the TG servers you are talking about??
                        Please do explain yourself abit further, as i just can't imagine that sort of stuff happening on a TG server!

My advice for the TG teamspeak channel, DO NOT be affraid to speak up if you are new! People will take the time to run you through things. If you find yourself assigned to a squad and are in the squad TS channel with them, speak while at the briefingscreen, even if there is chatter going on. We have protocols set up for TLs to talk to command during briefing, so that chatter you hear is mostlikely just your teammates chatting and not actuall briefing, speak up and say you are new, and your teammates will help you out.
                        sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Hello again,

Firstly, let me say sorry for moaning quite so much. Appreciate Dooom for putting forward a more balanced view!

Thank you to Soupy_Norman and Warlab for your pm's. I will catch up with you both when work is over.

Looking forward to getting better at this amazing game and I hope to be in a position to help other lost noobs in a few weeks myself.

moufflon

Comment

The only time I've ever seen players get kicked is for not communicating or for teamkilling. Be vocal on teamspeak, say you are new, and most everyone will be glad to answer questions and give pointers. People do get irritated when they see someone not responding to comms, simply because in this game it's so important. Don't take it personally. I've seen veteran players get scolded for not being on comms.

Comment

About kicking people:

We have some playesr who get on game and not on TS.If he fails to respond the call, he will be kicked.

Since the in game voice dont work.And for a full teamwork based gameplay we need every one on TS.

And the server have password for this reason, quality above all.Its better to have 20 players on ts using coms to work instead of 40 runing crazy Rambos without any coordenation.And its a rule from the server till the VON get fixed.

I you need help, dont exitate to ask for it ^^.
                              -----------
                              With my ow experience on TG i can say that never seen a veteran kicking a newbie ass for doing somethink wrong.I learned with hose guys how to play ArmA.

And on each mistake i hade done some one sayd: "you must do like this" and showed me.

When i sayd sorry, aways heard a "Dont Worry its fine.You will get used to that" just play and have fun.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X