8/23 Ia Drang Thanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/23 Ia Drang Thanks

First off, I'll post an AAR (probably tomorrow morning), but this is not an AAR.

I wanted to thank all the commanders and team leads who made tonight's fantastic runs - two of them - of Ia Drang possible. Soup and I provided fire support with Steel Rain, and it was an absolute blast. Normally, being Artillery means a LOT of waiting followed by a sudden burst of activity where you feel like you're moving at a snail's pace. Tonight was not normal. Tonight had us almost constantly active, and Soup and I got in to an amazingly effective team. We quickly called out our fire missions, designated who would fire which rounds, we communicated "Rounds Complete!", we swapped back and forth for illumination rounds... Soup, I'd gladly share your foxhole.

I want to also specifically thank each and every Team Lead, you guys were solid in calling in arty and kept us busy, just the way I like it. Furthermore, you also told us that our shots were effective - you have no idea how gratifying it is to hear a simple "Shots effective, you've taken out a squad" can be. I tried to get all the CO's and Team Leads written down from their Teamspeak names during the second round, but I may have missed some. They were (in no particular order): Falcon, Blitzin (who had a different name in game and was 2IC), Remoteplayer, Skin, Nikovik, Miles, and Daniel. You performed admirably, all of you.

Finally, I particularly wanted to thank Skin, our CO. Not only did Skin lead us in an extremely effective and coordinated manner, he did it while trekking overland without a map or watch to get to the front line. I've had a lot of great COs in TG so far, but Skin really took it up to the highest level I've yet seen tonight.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: my mind is continually blown by this community. I had *no idea* this kind of thing was possible. I'll tell you what: I used to be pretty active on World of Warcraft, and thought of myself as a farely hardcore player there, clocked a lot of hours. Since I bought ArmA2 I haven't logged in once, and I only realized that earlier today. I don't miss it a bit.
    Last edited by QuietRiots; 08-24-2009, 12:06 PM.
    "Armos virumque cano, ..."
    - Basic Infantry 8/23/09

Re: 8/23 Ia Drang Thanks

I was only able to play the second run. I joined in the first run late, and as soon as my new squad landed, my game crashed (for the first time ever, of course) then mission was soon over after.

QuietRiots words were spot on. Great community, I also never knew this kind of "gaming" took place. All squad and fire team leaders did awesome. I never felt that I was not being told something or being checked up on. Constant communication. I have always played Counter Strike, COD, BF type of games. I honest never knew ArmA and OFP existed until about a week ago when I picked up ArmA II from the store. I am still new at everything related to ArmA, but it's a blast and Ia Drang mission was intense.

Don't want to babble on too long, but do these kind of "big" dedicated planned missions happen every night or just Sundays? I play almost every night, but those missions don't seem to be as dedicated to realism and excellence as I saw tonight.
    "ahLgren"

Go Swede

Comment

Originally posted by QuietRiots View Post
      Soap, I'd gladly share your foxhole.
      share your foxhole.
      your foxhole.
      Sig-worthy?

Comment

After all we went through and you call me by a cleaning product :D har har har!

Yeah to reiterate what Riots said above: Thanks to skin and all the fire team leaders for a great night. I kinda lied on my application to be second gunner of the arty by saying i knew what i was doing to some extent. I didnt really, but i picked it up after about 10 seconds thanks too Riots. As far as i know there were no blue on blue arty situations.

I stayed up till 7am last night gaming and its actually a pity that im not in the same time zone as most of ye. The level of realism gets much better after 2am local time.

Anyways, thanks again to skin, all the team leaders and Riots for the arty party!
        Nihility

Comment

Woooops, sorry Soup! It was getting late by me, sorry I got the name wrong. Fixed.
          "Armos virumque cano, ..."
          - Basic Infantry 8/23/09

Comment

Originally posted by bahlgren342 View Post
            Don't want to babble on too long, but do these kind of "big" dedicated planned missions happen every night or just Sundays? I play almost every night, but those missions don't seem to be as dedicated to realism and excellence as I saw tonight.
            Heh, once a few months go by and the hard core arma players are all thats left, every night is like what you played.

They happen a whole lot.
            |TG|Ghost02
            TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

This was an awesome mission. I was flying a huey for those two rounds, and it was one of the most fun missions I've ever played. From my vantage point with NVG's, the combat around the LZ looked intense! There was one point when multiple enemy squads were attacking from the NW and S. We could see muzzle flashes coming from all around the tree line. I'd like to try that mission as infantry.

Comment

It was fun on the ground too bamjo, It was seldom quiet at our LZ. I was on alpha I believe the 2nd round and I don't think we lost anybody. Maybe 1 or 2.

Someone should get a few minutes of FRAPS from a huey on that mission
                "ahLgren"

Go Swede

Comment

I'm new to ARMA, but find Skin's leadership makes a huge difference in my enjoyment of this game. At times this game can be very daunting, given my limited knowledge of the military. Between the missions, weapons, roles, vehicles, command structure, and mastering the complicated controls, I have allot to learn.

Last night was epic, getting flown into a hot zone at night with bullets and RPG's flying trying to get the dam M2 setup and loaded was stressful. Fignut my assistant did a great job, even took over the M2 when I got taken out.

Hats off the pilots, I have no idea how you navigate so well in a night mission, but I hope to learn someday. See you on the server tonight!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X