Questions about Artillery on Ia Drang

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Artillery on Ia Drang

I have a few questions about artillery/mortars on Ia Drang. Maybe some of you could enlighten me?

First, I was wondering how one operates the 81mm mortars? Next time we play Ia Drang (saddly I'll be out of town this weekend) I'd like to come in as a mortarman. Where do you pick up the equipment, how do you deploy it, how do you un-deploy it. Does it use the same targeting system as the artillery?

Second, our CO Skin has often called in artillery strikes with four or even five units of precision. As far as I can tell, the map only provides up to three units of precision. How can I get more exact coordinates for Fire Missions? Even better: how can I make the artillery targeting map get above 2 units of precision?

Also I'd like to say that everyone should consider reading the Wikipedia article on Ia Drang. It was a most enlightening read.
    "Armos virumque cano, ..."
    - Basic Infantry 8/23/09

Re: Questions about Artillery on Ia Drang

It sounds like your addicted to the powers of the artillery :) The map I made has a FAC operator who can call in airstrikes from 3X m270 MLRS vehicles. The power is desvastating.

Comment

Originally posted by QuietRiots View Post

Second, our CO Skin has often called in artillery strikes with four or even five units of precision. As far as I can tell, the map only provides up to three units of precision. How can I get more exact coordinates for Fire Missions? Even better: how can I make the artillery targeting map get above 2 units of precision?
      Indeed. I would like to know this too.

Comment

It's common practice in Project Reality to designate grid coordinates with "keypad" callsigns, which separates each grid into a further 3x3 based on the location of your keypad numbers. One-zero-zero two-niner-three KP one, for instance, would be the bottom-left corner of grid 100-293. You can do the same thing, essentially, in ArmA, although increasing levels of precision are somewhat difficult to accurately calculate.

You can increase the accuracy of your artillery by pressing your map key while deployed with Target Artillery enabled. The map displays your "crosshairs" very accurately, and you can zoom in and see EXACTLY where you're landing your ordinance.

Additionally, artillery crosshairs can be used to compensate for altitude differences between you and your target. A typical crosshair may look like this:

------- 1080m. / 60.2 sec
        -----
        -----
        -----
        -----

------- 280m. / 58.3 sec
        -----
        -----
        -----
        -----

------- -920m. / 56.4 sec

The center blue altitude is your current altitude in meters above sea-level: ie, if you center that line on your target, it will only hit accurately if the target is at the exact same altitude as you are. Range increases and decreases by 200m. from the start position, with appropriate flight times marked. If a target is at 480m. ASL, you'll need to aim "up" one towards the 1080 marker.

Comment

Interesting scope. When I have been giving grid references in 4x4 format, I have simply divided the new grid by estimating the proper location where 1025x1059 would be in the middle but near the bottom of the grid reference. Is what you are saying above the standard means of providing grid references in Arma?

Comment

Skin, he clearly said it was standard in Project Reality. Maybe it's because I'm a PR player, but I find it easier to give a 3x3 grid and then a keypad rather than call out more numbers that make me think.

| |

Comment

I just shoot at a mark on the map...

No need to compliacte the Aiming, complicate the comms.
              |TG|Ghost02
              TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Marine has the right idea. Since PR is a contact-reporting kind of game, keypad grids make a lot of sense. I know I use 'em in ArmA for spotting enemy infantry, but not so much for calling artillery.

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone. Can anyone get in to the Mortar question, I wonder?
                  - Basic Infantry 8/23/09

Comment

Sure. Look around ammo crates for the mortars, and retreive them via your action menu to pick them up. Then deploy and destroy, then go back to the ammo crate and reload.
                    |TG|Ghost02
                    TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

That easy, eh? Thanks! Is the ammo for it physical, then? IE, rounds that go in your pack?
                      - Basic Infantry 8/23/09

Comment

No, the rounds are imaginary. You have to be within 5m of a vehicle ammo box in order to receive an action to rearm the mortar. Note that it takes approximately 1 min for it to finish. It pretty much rearms all three rounds that you originally had (HE, WP, Illum). Also, the mortar uses the same targeting artillery as the m119 battery. Its from the BIS artillery module. Sometimes, the target artillery screen doesn't show up so you have to rejoin the server in order to get it to work. Its a little glitch that the module has... sometimes it successfully initializes and sometimes it doesn't. Hope that helps!

IN GAME ARMA: |TG-Irr| Lq.Snake

Comment

It certainly does! Thanks very much.
                          - Basic Infantry 8/23/09

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement