Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

I have a couple of questions.

1. why does it seem that no madder what my view distance is, it all looks the same (view distance wise) on whatever server i play on.

2. im thinking about buying trackIR 5, from what i have read and seen tube vids, is it really worth getting because i have 170 bucks burning in my pocket and those babies are sighted in :)

3. i have the steam version of Arma2, is there a bench mark program like there was in the demo?

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Re: Questions

Server and or missions determine view distance in multiplayer.

And there's a mission or somesuch that's community made for benchmarking, but no official benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
      I have a couple of questions.

1. why does it seem that no madder what my view distance is, it all looks the same (view distance wise) on whatever server i play on.

2. im thinking about buying trackIR 5, from what i have read and seen tube vids, is it really worth getting because i have 170 bucks burning in my pocket and those babies are sighted in :)

3. i have the steam version of Arma2, is there a bench mark program like there was in the demo?
      I'm really loving the TrackIR. Got it less than a week ago. Expensive? Yeah. Can live without? Sure. But a fun toy, no doubt.

As for benchmarking, there is a benchmarking tool out there (forgot the name), but it looks cumbersome.

Here's how I benchmark:

Download Fraps and start it up so you can see your FPS in the corner of the screen. Start Arma and wait until the "Main Menu" appears (with the Single Player, Multiplayer, Options, buttons, etc). Once that screen appears, in the background there will be a straight, long view of an aircraft carrier with a long view distance. It's a good stress test, and it's fairly consistent (except the sun randomly renders from different angles, and occasionally it will even give you a night view).

The straight view of the aircraft carrier is my reference point. Whenever I want to see it again, I will click the Multiplayer button and then hit the escape key (or click cancel), then watch the greenish loading screen for a moment, and then it jumps right back into the aircraft carrier view again.

Watch closely, the first few seconds of the aircraft carrier view are high stress. I've tweaked my video settings so the first few seconds of that intro are above 20 fps and I'm happy with the setup when I'm playing (usually stays above 30 fps in most coop games).

NOTE: this trick obviously won't work if you're using "-world=empty" flag in your startup

Good luck.

Comment

for benchmarks, look for ofpmark for arma2
        it's basicly a map you install that runs a few tests
        sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

I think it's called ArmAII-Mark now:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5809

...and there's a thread going in the BIS forum where people are posting scores and stuff here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73610

Comment

"2. im thinking about buying trackIR 5, from what i have read and seen tube vids, is it really worth getting because i have 170 bucks burning in my pocket and those babies are sighted in"

Yes.

Feel free to ask any specific questions on how it works.

Comment

I have trackIR 4 and like it alot. Is 5 a vast improvement over 4? I'll be honest, I don't use trackIR in arma very often. It's very good in flight sims, like Over Flanders Fields, where your plane doesn't turn as fast as an FPS allows. In arma I find that I get by just fine using alt+mouselook.

I'd like to hear others' opinions on trackIR in arma. What makes it so superior to just using a mouse?

Comment

Originally posted by bamjo View Post
                I'd like to hear others' opinions on trackIR in arma. What makes it so superior to just using a mouse?
                Well, like you said about flying... with flying, TrackIR is pure disco. Nothing compares with circling a town in a heli with it. As for moving as infantry, I still enjoy the feel of having my head in the game. I occasionally use the lean movement, but more often I simply use it to feel like I'm "there."

Also, it oddly seems to improve my posture by preventing me from slumping in my chair (if I slump, my avatar will stare at the ground).

Like I said before, TrackIR is certainly not a must-have (unless you're a hardcore pilot type), but it is a very cool toy.

Comment

Originally posted by 1longtime View Post
                  I think it's called ArmAII-Mark now:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5809

...and there's a thread going in the BIS forum where people are posting scores and stuff here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73610
                  could be it's called that now...

;)
                  http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-2-...k-reviews.html

(should be a sticky really imho)
                  sigpic

"brum brum"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse