No announcement yet.

Pilots! What joystick do you recommend?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilots! What joystick do you recommend?

Hey guys and girls! I'll be picking up Arma 2 on Friday probably. The biggest thing that got me hooked on Arma2 aside from the awesome TG videos was the Transport Copter. I want to be a part of the team that gets the troops where ever they need to go and to get them out after the job is done. Obviously lots of people want to fly in Arma and I'm perfectly fine with ground pounding it.

My question goes out to the pilots out there who use a joystick when the play. I'm hoping to go and pick one up when I buy Arma. What joystick do you recommend? I want a decent quality joystick with programmable buttons that won't charge me through the roof. If I can get it under $60 I'll be very happy. Since I will only be using it for Arma and the craft I really want to pilot the most is a heli, I'm not too worried about wearing it out really fast.

So what do you think? Got any helpful suggestions?
    sigpic

Re: Pilots! What joystick do you recommend?

I'm currently using a Saitek X52 that I'm very happy with, although it is quite an overkill for ArmA.

Saitek however makes really, really good stuff for a very affordable price. The Saitek Cyrborg series has a good history, and the Cyborg X or Cyborg Evo Force Feedback are both really nice.

I haven't ever tested the Cyborg X, but it looks like a really nice piece to me with enough functions to be useful in any flight sim as well.

Comment

Im also ery happy with my saitek st290 it was cheap and gets the job done very easily

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

I would buy the "stick" that best suits your actual/favourite flight sim games if any.
        ArmAII strictly isnt a flight sim, not even close.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Keyboard and mouse work fine in arma, never used a stick when flying and have the same level of control as anyone, as lowspeed said arma isnt a flight sim it basic in its flying.

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
          So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

What are you looking to spend? AS folks said, ArmA2 flight controls are pretty basic. So a basic stick will do. I have a crappy Logitech Attack3. Works fine, has 11 buttons plus throttle control.

Btw, does any1 use throttle control on joystick, in ArmA2? No hijacking intended.

Comment

As above cost is an important consideration however this:

**EDIT** le sigh I cant link to URL's because of forum restrictions google Saitek X52

Is felt by the Xplane and Flight X community to offer the most bang for buck before buying "pro" equipment.

Is macro capable as well.

Quick review here:

***AS ABOVE***

Comment

I have a TM Cougar. Only get it if you play Falcon.
                |TG|Ghost02
                TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Well as I said in the post, anything under 60 US dollars is in my ballpark. I guess I just suck at flying with a mouse and keyboard as I can never seem to keep a steady speed when flying a copter. I'm thinking I'll be more comfortable with a joystick. I've been looking at the Attack3 from Logitech and I may just get that with the feedback I'm getting. Yeah I also saw that Cyborg, but I don't have IR or whatever it is called so I don't really need that one.

By the Way, I'm running Vista. I don't know if that has any affect on what joysticks I can buy, but I just thought I'd mention it.
                  sigpic

Comment

For an extra $10 or so you could get this and get some more buttons. (More buttons/keys are ALWAYS good for ArmA.) Really looking at the two they seem pretty similar except this has more buttons and the throttle looks like it's better imo, though.

I've actually got one of the linked joysticks on the way for use with ArmA/IL-2 etc. Will probably get something like a X52 in the future for the more serious stuff. Still going to try Black Shark with the Extreme 3d Pro though.

Comment

Sweet, thanks for all the input everyone! It has been very helpful, see you all on the battlefield this weekend!
                      sigpic

Comment

I have an x-52 that works fine in every other game I own but arma 2 refuses to work with the throttle. I can map it fine in the key settings by moving it but as soon as i get ingame and move it nothing happens :|. It worked fine before the latest patch. Maybe I should try re-installing?

Comment

Anyone have an idea when they are going to fix the rudder wobble? Its such a pain in the bottom.
                          Nihility

Comment

The cheapest one possible. If you MUST have a joystick for ArmA 2, don't splurge.

Comment

I use a 1998 WIngman attack 2, its 4 years younger then i am and it has finally started to break, the throttle jumps all over the place, i figure i can get a couple more years out of it though. I use a keyboard and mouse for arma heli though, only time ive used it lately is flying A-10.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X