Straw Poll VON and latency.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straw Poll VON and latency.

I have seen an increase in ping response since the introduction of VON from around 90ms to an average of around 140+ , I am interested if anyone else is having the same issue?

PS I am located in merry old England and have a 6 / 2 DSL connection with a 10:1 contention.

Any feedback appreciated before I rip my router to pieces :)
    Last edited by HOTMACHINA; 09-15-2009, 04:34 PM.

Re: Straw Poll VON and latency.

i havent been playing attention, but i have heard von is very bandwith intensive, so that may have to do with it, eithier way a 140ping is not to bad.

Comment

I started playing after the beta patches were put into effect, but my ping to TG has always hovered above 100ms, usually in the 110-130 range. I can't really recall what my ping used to be to the A1 servers but I'm guessing about the same.

What I'd like to know too is if A2's netcode is just worse than A1's or if I've forgotten what it was like, because it seems other player characters and vehicles "skip" a lot more than in A1 at the same pings.

Comment

my ping has stayed the same since we started using von ~40-50.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I have not noticed any difference.
          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I haven't noticed any difference either.

Comment

My ping goes from about 120 to 500ms now. I used to get steady 70 - 150 ms without von. It gives me yellow chain and if I talk no one understands what i say because it breaks up, I also have a problem understanding what people say to me becasue some people break up badly.

I checked my internet speed on test websites and im still getting 5 or 6 mb down so my connection is the same as it was before von.

I think von is a bandwidth hog because of the bad netcode in arma 2.

Comment

I am located in Germany and my in-game ping (UDP ping, I guess) is stable at about 100ms since January 2009 (Arma 1 days) and did not change with Arma 2 and also did not change recently with the working VON.

Comment

Mines good...no changes.

Comment

no difference for me.

Comment

Ping? we used those for finding submarines.. or my Daisy Red Rider bb gun hitting a tin can.Jaysus too many things to worry about in this game.

Comment

No difference for me at all, not any more ping, same bandwidth usage (I use a bandwidth monitor for my G15 and VON takes up less than TS for me), and not any more desync than the usual amount.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                        In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                          Ping? we used those for finding submarines.. or my Daisy Red Rider bb gun hitting a tin can.Jaysus too many things to worry about in this game.
                          LOL

on topic

England here too, ping is the same using 2MB broadband.
                          Only time I get either the yellow or the red chain is if the mission itself has scripts that aren't optimised.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

No change for me.

Comment

VON does cause lag for people over seas. I've seen several non-American players bring up this issue. Also, VON still cuts out about 25% of the time. Sometimes you will only get partial sentences from people when they talk.

I'm all for getting our old TS channels back.
                              Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X