Warfare with a twist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warfare with a twist

Warfare, Evo, and to some extent Domination are some of my favorite ways to enjoy a pub game of a ArmA. However, these missions really shine when you add in a little organization.

Warfare and Evo in particular add elements that are very rarely found in missions. The logistical side of maintaining and defending supply lines while expanding controlled territories is a very interesting and often over looked part of the game. The use of combined arms with the logistics and gradual area control gives, at least in my opinion, the best simulation for an overall military engagement.

In the past(a couple of years now), I hosted a COOP, organized Evo game on Tuesday's. The purpose of this post is to gauge the interest in organizing an event on a weekday that would play Warfare as a COOP mission with a little official organization thrown in. The beauty of the style of game is that very few commitments are needed. Essentially an overall commander and ground leader are the two essential elements. I would highly encourage the use of TS as well as VON as separate channels become very useful in this type of engagement. In the past we had success with a Commander, an Infantry leader(who can use A.I. to augment the squad) with player infantrymen(who cannot use A.I. and are the bulk of players on the server), an Armor coordinator(again use A.I. to fill positions, plus slow down the efficiency of the armor), an Air corps(again, helo's with A.I. usually or pilots), and finally support/logistics(A.I. to drive vehicles).

Each outfitting can be different, but it always worked best to have everyone Infantry without A.I. save for 3-5 that would make use of vehicles in support of the infantry. Depending on numbers and experience, the same formula would work in a TvT version. The organization comes in handy by deciding the commander and the vehicle roles before the mission starts. This allows everyone who joins to be assigned to the main infantry unit or a vehicle role as the commander(s) see fit.

Here are some AAR's from those days so you can get an idea of what we were doing, granted these were EVO, but the same could apply to Warfare:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...evolution.html
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...-unlocked.html
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...vo-server.html
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...mato-cayo.html
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...tml#post751161
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-a...tml#post772263
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Re: Warfare with a twist

I am a little put off by Warfare for a couple of reasons.

1. I don't understand the way that Warfare works that well. I have watched some on-line tutorials on you-tube and they pretty much suck.

2. When I have played there has been a very low-level of organization, even on the TG server.

3. When there is some organization, it isn't enough. Last night was good until I found myself spawned miles away from anyting with no vehicles. I just disconnected instead of facing the prospect of a 30 minute walk back to the AO.

If these things can be fixed I would like to learn and play this type of mission.
    The Don Abides...

Comment

I liked the round of Warfare we played last night, it was the perfect TG fix for the day. Scope led the attacking squad and then the AT squad perfectly until his connection crapped out, and the accelerated time gave a nice sense of progress as well as fitting several playstyles into a single session (a slightly lower rate, smoother acceleration might make it more enjoyable, though). The only problem is you're obviously not going to finish a round of Warfare in 2, 3 or 4 hours (though I think OPFOR killed us sometime around when I left?), and it means there's 15-20 people "held up" playing Warfare when there could be good co-op going on in the other server - though whether they would show up without Warfare is debatable. It might also be that people don't like playing co-op now due to the lack of ACE2, I don't know; I haven't been around for long.

The fact that due to the nature of the mission our squad was calling in support on an ad-hoc basis, not required by the mission itself, added a lot to the feeling of being in an actual war and not just completing arbitrary goals set by the mission designer, which a lot of the time end up being bugged and not registering anyway. The performance of your force decides whether you live or die.

That said, if we're going to play it KNIVES ONLY NO ARTY 24/7 KARKAND like I said yesterday (but then OPFOR built tanks anyway AFAIK?) it takes a lot of the fun out of it. 20 people running and gunning each in their own Abrams might not be ideal but you're losing the nice experience of having a Cobra softening up an objective overhead while you ground pound into the town if heavy and air factories are forbidden.

Comment

Originally posted by Donegal View Post
        I am a little put off by Warfare for a couple of reasons.

1. I don't understand the way that Warfare works that well. I have watched some on-line tutorials on you-tube and they pretty much suck.

2. When I have played there has been a very low-level of organization, even on the TG server.

3. When there is some organization, it isn't enough. Last night was good until I found myself spawned miles away from anyting with no vehicles. I just disconnected instead of facing the prospect of a 30 minute walk back to the AO.

If these things can be fixed I would like to learn and play this type of mission.
        Those are exactly the reasons a session of any of the big JIP progress missions fall down. Domination is the smallest in scope, yet has simple reminders in game which makes it easy. Warfare is simple, but very large and scope. All I am suggesting is a Warfare get together and predetermined evening. Being predetermined with a few cogs in place, will eliminate many players frustration.
        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Something I'm sure several of you will find useful:

Warfare BE Tutorial(a PDF)

Comment

I would love to play this some time! I like the missions and everything, but I think it would be great if we all got together for a HUGE game that spaned the entire game map. Where the mission was just to conquere the whole map. It would take a long time to finish, but I think it would be fun.

Rules are a bit complicated, but the guide Fincuan linked to really helps explain things in a very clear manner. A little bit of studying and this mode isn't too hard to understand.
            sigpic

Comment

Khan, I would be absolutely interested in playing with you under an organized company.

Comment

I haven't played warfare much however the times I have played it there was about 10 people playing and only about 2 of them where communicating. It seems that this style of play just doesnt really promote tactical gaming. I think we should be trying to build our PvP base.

Comment

Yeah, I'd be interested too! Lets do it. We don't even really need to get admin approval for an "official event" if you want to test the response and interest. You could just post a signup in the forums and set the time, then people can reply. We can then join the server as a group, vote an admin and then set the map to warfare.
                  Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton.

Comment

In terms of non-Warfare TvT, Falcon's missions we played yesterday are pretty much on the money once the last few wrinkles are ironed out. Nobody's written an AAR yet but whoever was there for them will probably agree they were great fun, a few missile massacres aside.

edit: Also, this is completely off-topic but related to the above: during the TvT last night some people wanted a night round. Some pitch-dark night missions with no NVGs in the same setting would be great. I'm not usually a fan of missions that purposely gimp the grunts by taking NVGs and maps away, but an overcast TvT night operation might actually be fun, requiring the use of illum. Heavy rain would be a bonus, I guess. I'm not completely sure if running around with no idea what's going on would be fun, but it always adds to the experience of having to keep close to your squad lest you wander off and get lost in the middle of a battle.
                    Last edited by cctoide; 09-19-2009, 11:01 AM.

Comment

As a general rule, the more you take away from a grunt in a TvT mission, the better the mission is. The same is (almost) inversely proportional in co-op.

Comment

Agreed. Whatever you have in a TvT it has one thing over coops: Humans are so damn unpredictable. With the AI you can usually predict what they do pretty well, while with humans it's a lot harder, in both good and bad. Something I've yet play, not to say that we couldn't have them on the server, is Coop/TvT-hybrids taking advantage of the high-command feature in Arma2. You could have a normal TG Coop 37 with a few slots on Opfor for players who could control the entire OpFor, or just parts of it, via the high-command interface. That'd make things a lot more interesting vs. a normal coop.

Comment

Another nice part of TvT is that human players are a lot more vicious. In co-op it always feels like yeah, you should stick to cover in theory, but in most situations the enemy reacts so slowly that you end up waltzing around and only really care when the bullets are already whizzing by. In contrast, last night during the first game in the town we took a few bursts of MG fire when down by the gas station and I was waiting for a bunch of opfor to pop around the opposite corner and kill us all at any moment.

Unfortunately that did indeed happen later on, but it turns out they were only trying to blow a hole in the wall. :(

Comment

I was with you cctoide in that fuel station. Unfortunately, due to a disconnect and reconnect issue. I was lost without a map, relying on commands orders and Falcons ability to view my map which I didnt have.
                            Then again, it would've helped to have a better situational awareness coupled with where our fellow brothers in arms in Alpha squad were whenever we manuevered to a newer location.
                            (hint* request sitreps, report loc stats frequently and state your intents)

It was a classic TvT scenario where you would take a long while to get in contact. When it happens, the engagement is ended quickly.

All in all, it was a fun mission. I'm pro-TvT. With practice, it will reach to a level of teamplay we once experienced in ArmA1.
                            Nothing in this game gives you/me the sweaty palms unless playing versus another human player.

I'm for no maps and NVGs (in some instances) for TvTs. But with squad tags on.
                            That should force the players to learn to stick to their assigned teams. Abit of a strongarm tactic but if it pushes towards a more cohesive teamwork then I'm for it.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X