Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Operation Flashpoint 2 coming out, any plans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Flashpoint 2 coming out, any plans?

As you may know, or not... Operation Flashpoint 2, the game that Arma & Arma 2 was based on, is coming out on October 6th (October 9th in Europe).

Are we going to move on to OFP2, and are there any server changes planned? Making server Alpha for Arma 2 and Bravo for OFP2? When the time comes of course... I thought it would be good to start discussing this now :) .

I remember hours spent playing cooperative in Operation Flashpoint with my friends, back in the day and even now Arma or Arma 2 can't beat this experience.

I'm asking, because I believe that OFP2 will be even better kick ass than first Operation Flashpoint, and both Arma's together.

Re: Operation Flashpoint 2 coming out, any plans?

From what I understand, there is no real connection between OFP and OFP2.

The guys that made OFP are BIS, and they are the same guys that made Arma and Arma2. BIS sold the NAME "Operation Flash Point" to Codemasters. Codemasters bought the name... nothing else.

Soooo as far as I'm concerned, it's a brand new game that will have to prove itself. If it turns out to be awesome, then I'll be all over it (and I hope TG will be too).

EDIT: Not to say I'm cynical, I'm very excited to see this game. I hope it rocks, and I hope BIS feels some real pressure from its success. Competition is a win for everyone. ;)
    Last edited by 1longtime; 09-20-2009, 11:37 PM.

Comment

I thought the Codemasters/BIS deal was like the FEAR 2 deal where the publisher had the rights to the name so when Vivendi decided to split with them they couldn't use the name anymore. (until they rebought it I think it was)

Interesting.

But yeah you basically are playing Operation Flashpoint 3 in ArmA 2, just without the same name.

Comment

These are the ArmA forums, and as 1longtime pointed out, OFP2 has nothing to do with ArmA (or the original really).

So I imagine the answer to whether the servers would be used for OFP2 would be "no way" because they are set up for ArmA not for other games.

It would be better to ask questions regarding OFP2 on Tactical Gamer HERE.

Comment

I heard that Arma and Arma 2 was made by people who created Operation Flashpoint, but I thought the same people would work also on OFP 2.

Originally posted by Lhowon View Post
          These are the ArmA forums, and as 1longtime pointed out, OFP2 has nothing to do with ArmA (or the original really).

So I imagine the answer to whether the servers would be used for OFP2 would be "no way" because they are set up for ArmA not for other games.

It would be better to ask questions regarding OFP2 on Tactical Gamer HERE.
          I was looking for Operation Flashpoint 2 Forum on TG, but couldn't find it. So I wrote in here. I'm really hoping that OFP2 will be just like Arma or Operation Flashpoint.

Comment

OFP2 is going to be supported by TG and will be played here and have servers up. It will be a massive terrain but no airplanes from early reports I read. Good infantry simulation with better squad controls...

I will wait and see what it has to offer but I probably will stay here at Arma more than OFP2.

FYI there is a separate OFP2 forum here at TG.

Comment

Just click yourself to the Simulation forums and you'll have the Operation Flashpoint 2 forum nearby :)

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/simulation/

And no, it won't be like neither OFP or ArmA. Especially not ArmA as it looks like. I guess OFP is closer to OFP2 than ArmA is.
              Generally put, as far as all videos that have been shown, OFP2 will be more of a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare but at a larger scale, and with some extra stuff thrown in like vehicles and more realistic AI.

In the end a more action-oriented game than ArmA, more covering the interest in games like Battlefield 2, Call of Duty and Joint Operations than the milsim ones.

Good in my eyes that it ain't a competitor. Means people play ArmA2 for milsim, and OFP2 for 'realistic action'.

Comment

Originally posted by LT. Razgriz View Post
                I thought the Codemasters/BIS deal was like the FEAR 2 deal where the publisher had the rights to the name so when Vivendi decided to split with them they couldn't use the name anymore. (until they rebought it I think it was)

Interesting.

But yeah you basically are playing Operation Flashpoint 3 in ArmA 2, just without the same name.
                That sounds right. Codemasters was the publisher for OFP. BIS was the developer.

Comment

As much as I like to speculate, criticize, dream, drool... over games that haven't been released yet, I always find that in the end you just gotta wait till the demo or something is out to really know how the game plays.

But regardless, I hope OPF2 turns out good :)

| |

Comment

I will buy it, just because its a tactical shooter with a large map and cool vehicles...

Sapientiam Autem Non Vincit Malitia

Comment

I'm not seeing the appeal, honestly. ARMA fills the Milsim niche, and there are games like Red Orchestra that are rather cheaper and already proven for detailed, realistic action gaming.

Comment

I just wish they never considered touching the consoles with this game, I think that'll be it's downfall, I'll just have to wait until the demo though and maybe get myself an "extended demo".

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
                        In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

I'm still curious about the game. I'm feeling a lack of something more intense that isn't played on CoD4's phone booth-sized maps, since I feel ArmA2 doesn't fit that kind of gameplay very nicely even when people design missions for it.

Maybe it'll be what I'm looking for. Maybe not.

Comment

As soon as I heard the words "co-op tethering", I decided to save my money for hookers.

Comment

Lmao, probably the right choice Scope :)

Anyway it hasn't even been confirmed if the game is going to have a dedicated server possibility, the lack of which wouldn't come as a huge surprise when we look at what other things have been "dumbed down".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X