ARMA 2 and the new ATI cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARMA 2 and the new ATI cards

I'm still busy moving into a new house, but did spot this review looking at the new ATI 5850, which should sell for around $259. They tested it with ARMA 2 and came away very impressed. It did better than the more expensive Nvidia 285 and the ATI 4890. They also use the tests done with the 5870 last week to compare it.

In this case, the Radeon HD 5850 single video card was playable at 1680x1050 with visibility at 1600, Antialiasing on "Normal" and everything else on "Very High." This provided a very rich and detailed gameplay experience in Arma II. This is close to as good as you can get in this game, other than maxing out the visibility slider, which is impossible on any video card right now.
    AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5850 Video Card Review

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: ARMA 2 and the new ATI cards

Sounds interesting... however, and I don't mean to hijack your thread from the get-go, but I guess I might share something about ArmA II performance:

I have a pretty good graphics card and system overall, and the game runs excellently at mostly-High settings, but I get the feeling I could run most stuff at Very High, if it weren't for one problem: disk read lag. The stuttering when moving the view isn't due to graphics card or processor limitations, as I suspected, but rather due to A2 shuffling textures in and out of memory, creating lots of 1/4 second-1/2 second pauses. This is, for the most part, only noticeable in cities and around objects such as vehicles and buildings.

Fellow TG member 1longtime decided to get a SSD (solid-state drive) to see if it helped matters, and it did. According to him average disk reads (on a regular HDD) by ArmA II take around 12-20ms, which adds up to a lot when you're loading lots of the large textures required by higher graphics settings around cities such as Elektrozavodsk. He said after putting in the SSD he could go through large cities on a motorcycle while panning around with TrackIR with zero stuttering.

As far as I know solid-state drives are still fairly new technology when it comes to the end-user, and thus costly (around $300 for a 120GB drive seems to be what longtime said), but I'm just putting this out here so that people who bought a top-of-the-line PC and still get those stutters know what to blame. It's probably not your graphics card.

I'm not sure why the game couldn't just pop in untextured blobs in place of the stuff it has to load, like many other games do - maybe model loading times are also a factor, besides textures, but the stuttering makes it annoying, especially when the game refuses to use more than 50%-60% of available RAM (on a 4GB system, so it's not to do with the 4GB+ usage bug reported on the BIS forums), so that shifting the view just 10-15 degrees in a large city causes it to stutter badly until everything's loaded in (which I suppose means that, for some reason, it's not even bothering to cache stuff that you might look at in the next few moments, like your immediate surroundings).

Comment

Talking of graphic cards, Nvidias new beta drivers add 12% increase on ARMA2 according to the release notes.

Comment

You make me want to buy one and replace my 4870 512mb... For me 512 mb is my bottleneck in some games (GT4 and Arma 2)... I might also look for a WD Caviar black...

Current setup :

Proc : Q9450 running stock at 2.66 GHz
        Mobo : Asus P5E x38
        Ram : 4 gig at 1066 MhZ
        Vid Card : 4870 512 mb of ram, running at 800 MHz.
        HDD : 1. OS Raptor 150 Go. 2. Storage WD 250 Go. 3. Backup External, WD Element 1 To
        I currently live in a world where it's survival of the weakest. Sigh...

Comment

Thanks Bamboo, I always appreciate the hardware reviews you do here. Good stuff.

I had an ATI 4890 in my machine for a week, and I miss it for Arma2. :( My two 8800GTX cards seem to have a completely different rendering "feel" than the ATI did. I can't put it more scientifically than that, unfortunately, except to say that a) one strong new video card definitely beats two older cards and b) ATI seems to have a nicer rendering in Arma2 than Nvidia.

I'm a die-hard Nvidia guy (the Linux-drivers-love Nvidia provided, even before it was cool, goes a long way with me), but it almost shook my faith and brought me to the dark side... I mean, to ATI.

cctoide: You inspired me to post my SSD findings. I posted it elsewhere (so we can keep this thread on-topic). In a nutshell, a good video card is still extremely important, but good video card + SSD = win.

Find it here:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-2-...sault-2-a.html

Comment

I know what you mean. I'm a diehard Nvidia guy (love eVGA), but ATi seems to have them beat if marginally for time being. As much as I want to grab a 5870 right now I'm waiting till Dec to see what Nvidia can come up with. Also maybe avaibilty won't be such a problem and prices will come down.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I'm kind'a biased. Seems like ATI got better hardware on their cards, but nVidia is better at writing graphics drivers. Never had as many driver-related issues as when I got an ATI 4850.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkompetent View Post
                I'm kind'a biased. Seems like ATI got better hardware on their cards, but nVidia is better at writing graphics drivers. Never had as many driver-related issues as when I got an ATI 4850.
                For me it was the total opposite. I've had nothing but issues with Nvida drivers, at least when I last had an Nvidia card (7900GT). When Vista would go into sleep mode, it'd BSOD my computer. Apparently, 30% of all Vista crashes were caused by Nvida drivers.

I also had overscan while using my HDTV (my monitor), so I had to put it into a weird custom resolution, which sucked because it was lower than my standard resolution by a bit and it wasn't supported by any game that didn't take it's resolution information from the Direct X API.

I switched over to ATI for the 2900/3800 series, and I haven't looked back. The drivers work fine for me, the extra HDMI stuff is a huge plus, and picture quality looks better. I've also gotten some awesome overclocking results from it's Overdrive features, where as Ntune would generally not save settings or just crash.

Maybe the new Nvidia drivers are better in Windows 7? I'm not sure, but I'm plenty happy with my 4850 (getting a new 4870 tomorrow!!!)

Comment

I'm happy with my 4850 as well.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Well I had a horrible driver problem when I tried to update my 9800 GTX drivers. I eventually had to reformat, so I'm not really looking forward to upgrading them at all.

I had driver problems when I ran an ATi x800XL too, so it's all par for the course.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I am happy with my 4850's in crossfire

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                        Well I had a horrible driver problem when I tried to update my 9800 GTX drivers. I eventually had to reformat, so I'm not really looking forward to upgrading them at all.

I had driver problems when I ran an ATi x800XL too, so it's all par for the course.
                        I had the same problem, tried to update them and for some reason it removed my windows installer :|. The kicker is is that the windows installer is need to install the windows installer so I was proverbially screwed :/. Had to do a clean install of windows though I'm not convinced that it wasn't a win 7 issue and not the drivers themselves.

Comment

ARMA 2: X3DAudio1_5.dll is missing from your computer

X3DAudio1_5.dll is missing from your computer. try reinstall it may fix the problem

why this problem could be happen???

how to fix it????

can anybody tell me and show the step????

A.S.A.P

thanks friends!!

Comment

Wow top of the line video cards, and its not even breaking 40 fps.

Comment

I thought I would mention this in the ATI thread. I have a 4890 and love it, but like my previous ATI cards I would often get Artifacts around certain structures or when looking in certain directions. I found that adjusting my Video memory setting in the menu to High instead of Default removed the artifacts. Now, I read that the default is the best setting for FPS and I would tend to agree just based on quick observations, but a few less FPS to have no artifacts is well worth it.

I was just curious if any ATI owners have had this experience here. I checked Bis forums and the ATI + ArmA = Artifacts is known issue, but I would like to get the TG take.
                              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...