desyncing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• desyncing

What causes the Desyncing (red chain) in the games? Is it strictly an internet connnection problem? Ping, bandwidth? I have 1.5 DSL and wonder if thats the cause.

Re: desyncing

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
    What causes the Desyncing (red chain) in the games? Is it strictly an internet connnection problem? Ping, bandwidth? I have 1.5 DSL and wonder if thats the cause.
    It means information isn't passing as quickly as it should because the connection is limited somehow.

EDIT: Bad network hops or server load? I think Khan is correct, I will bet it's server load.

Basically, if you are getting a red chain, then you have no control over it on your end. Sorry man.

The only exception would be if your DSL happened to completely crash. Then you will certainly know about it (since you couldn't go online and read this post, for instance). Reboot the modem and call your provider and complain!

One more thing: if you're curious what kind of speeds you are really getting out of your connection, try this:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

(reports results in BITS not bytes, so divide by 8!)
    Last edited by 1longtime; 10-01-2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I a variety of things could cause. In general, you will only get this when the server is under a strain, aka processing a lot of information trying to keep up with the clients. Usually when a new player or players are joining a game already in progress. Essentially it just represents your client and server are not at the same pace, so it is not just limited to the connection. However, if you a join a game with an extremely high ping you will see this more frequently as it is a function of the connections. Remember, your max transfer speed is not the same as the latency between you and a particular host on a network. Another time you frequently get the chain is when a mission and server instance crash.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

I'd wager low server FPS is be the cause. Often I get the red chain for 10-20 seconds at the mission start, presumably while it's still initializing the mission/updating players' game states/etc.. IIRC this got particularly bad during yesterday's Black Hawk Down, which was noted by other people as very laggy even after initialization. FTTH internet connection, so in theory it's got enough bandwidth for ArmA.

Comment

Red chain desync is akin to "packet loss" counters in any other games (the Source engine comes to mind): when the server is unable to send you packets of data within a ping (usually about 100ms or so), you experience yellow-chain packet delay; when the server is unable to send you packets of data, period (ie. they get lost in translation or are interrupted), you experience red-chain packet loss.

Packet loss, with very few exceptions, is a bottleneck in the server, and not a problem on your end. Unfortunately, ArmA2's net code is so old at this point that desync is quite common as the server chokes on unnecessary information. As a side-note, things like custom faces, sounds, and mods that affect the server or its clients are ALL responsible for choking the server.

Comment

Ok thanks for the quick response.I have done all the speed, bandwidth and ping testing and its always been pretty much the same about 1.4 down average and a ping of 73 from Seattle to LA, 150 to London. There is nothing I can do about it I guess. I like addons and use them, but for the sake of gameplay I would gladly not use them. A no addon server would Pis* some people off for sure but there are a lot of them out there.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X