Missions and the Wiki

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missions and the Wiki

Ok, you've been voted admin on the Arma server.

You think you know a decent mission to play with X number of players, but then 6 people join. Now you aren't so sure. You kinda remember playing that one cool mission for X + 6 people, but it's really long and half of the players say they can only play for a short time... so now you have no idea what to pick. You select something that is for the correct number of players with no clue about the mission or how long it will last. It turns out you chose a mission that allows respawns but no JIPs and it lasts for at least two hours.

Most of the players can't play for two hours, so they start dropping off, and eventually you are left with a few players and an unfinished mission. You can't get new players to fill slots because it isn't a JIP.

Don't you wish you knew all that before you launched the mission?

Certain important details like # OF PLAYERS, RESPAWNS, JIP, or the average length of time are kind of important to know when choosing the next mission. However, all that info isn't going to fit in the name (example "TG CoOp32NOJIPNORSPAWN2.5HRS-OperationBlah" ... that's just not gonna work).

The best solution I could come up with was using the wiki so I/we can alt-tab to the list. I realize there is no way this list will stay perfectly up to date. However, I would rather have a stale list than no list at all.

Link:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/wiki/in..._Missions_List

Please help me populate that list, it's just filled with example data at the moment. Also notice the columns can be sorted by clicking the column headers, so keep the YES and NO to "Y" and "N" and the other stuff as is, so the columns sort properly. You will understand when you see it. As with any wiki, anyone can edit it, so anyone can help by fixing errors or writing new entries.

If it ever gets enough good data in it, maybe we can have that link somewhere more permanent than just this discussion thread. I'm making it my mission to document the stuff on our servers, though, because I'm sick of randomly choosing a mission and clicking "continue."

Re: Missions and the Wiki

I completely support this. We had no clue as to what mission to play earlier with about 10 of us in. We ended up going to Operation Unicorn 2, but not everyone landed in the correct insertion (I landed right on the dock...score!), luckly the second mission we chose was perfect.

Either way, I thoroughly support this wiki idea and if I ever get down to creating a mission, I'll be sure to add any information I can.

Comment

I think this is very important with mission design as well, incorporating the difficulty and objectives to be reliant on players number could be a way to introduce re playability and non-linearity with a difficulty curve also.

Would help stop those issues where players would experience 4 players versus the Red Army.

Comment

Ok, I've documented about 10% of the missions so far. Took me about 45 minutes.

As you play a mission, please check if it is documented on that wiki page. If it isn't, click "edit" and add a row for it with at least basic details (NAME, JIP, RESPAWNS, and TIME are top priority in my opinion). Try to keep the format clean, I'm mildly obsessive-compulsive about this kind of stuff.

Here's the link again:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/wiki/in..._Missions_List

Comment

I'd like to mention that I fully support mandatory title regulation. Although proper formatting isn't going to list all of the details we need, it helps when I know where all of the [TG] missions are, and whether or not a mission is TvT or Co-op.

I believe the current "official" formatting is as follows:
          [TG]{Co/TvT}{# slots}_{Name_of_Mission}_v{version #}.{Map}.{filetype}

For example, [TG]Co36_Deus_Ex_Machina_v1.Chernarus.pbo

Comment

This page has been locked to prevent editing. :row__637:

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
            In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
              I'd like to mention that I fully support mandatory title regulation. Although proper formatting isn't going to list all of the details we need, it helps when I know where all of the [TG] missions are, and whether or not a mission is TvT or Co-op.

I believe the current "official" formatting is as follows:
              [TG]{Co/TvT}{# slots}_{Name_of_Mission}_v{version #}.{Map}.{filetype}

For example, [TG]Co36_Deus_Ex_Machina_v1.Chernarus.pbo
              I just wiki'ed that. (Might be redundant and documented elsewhere, but whatever).

MOST of the missions are named in that format already (not all though). Two things:

1) That won't all fit in the Mission Selection screen. It will be something like:

"[TG]Co36_Deus_Ex_Machina_v1.Ch" (but that's better than nothing)

...and...

2) To mission-makers... if you change the name to fit the correct convention, please check the wiki page and change it there too (if it's already in the list).

Originally posted by Pistolfied View Post
              This page has been locked to prevent editing. :row__637:
              OH NO!

Is anyone else having the same problem? Can no one else edit the wiki page?

If so, I didn't lock it and I can't figure out why it would be locked or how to unlock... a little help please?

Comment

Sorry Longtime, the map/file type should be excluded from the mission TITLE, although these are of course required on the filename.

Comment

The mission naming convention seems relatively common. I don't know whether your missions contain add-ons or not however, so you may want to include that into the mission name?

Code:
                  [TG]{Co/TvT}{# slots}_{Name_of_Mission}_v{version #}[email protected]<Addons>.{Map}.pbo
                  Generally if the server is predominately add-ons (not in this case), you might have a BIS tag on the end to indicate it is stock.

Comment

Hmmm ok, two different filenaming conventions there. Rommel's is more complete (with @<Addons> notation), so I'll wikify that, although I believe none of our missions require addons at the moment.

The real showstopper here, though, is that no one but me can edit the wiki page.

I found the wiki via search and my wiki user account was "just there" (automatically created during forum account creation, I guess?). I did not specifically locked the Missions List wiki page, and I can't figure out how to unlock it.

I need help with this... anyone familiar with the TG wiki, or know how I can find a SME? (Subject Matter Expert)

Comment

My guess is the wiki is set up to automatically restrict page editing to the page creator only for whatever reason.

Anyway, once we can edit I think I'm going to list all of the F16TAC TvTs on the same line, they're the same mission in different settings, the ones I know of are Dam, Field, Town and Woodland.

Comment

I think it has to do with supporting members, I think I can edit I've edited other pages in the wiki.

Edit: yep just tried i can edit it.

Comment

Originally posted by tralicrifleman View Post
                          I think it has to do with supporting members, I think I can edit I've edited other pages in the wiki.

Edit: yep just tried i can edit it.
                          Well isn't that just the ultimate snub... Is there any way around that for one specific page?

Or maybe re-work the entire wiki authentication/security framework just for me... that doesn't sound too entitled does it?

What if I ask really nicely?

Grrrr...

Comment

Best choice would be either editthis.info, which is really tacky but will give you a free wiki (and you can just copy over the page text from the TG wiki, since they're both MediaWiki), or some ArmA wiki that won't mind having a page for a "foreign" community on it, maybe even as a subpage of your userpage.

Comment

You could post here, and whoever is an SM and has some free time could edit the wiki to add your contribution.

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X