Warfare, Co-Op, TvT and this community

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warfare, Co-Op, TvT and this community

Once we as a community switched to playing Warfare most of the time, I stopped playing. Perhaps i'm missing something that others aren't, but I found that once we did, we lost something that first attracted me to this community.

From what i've seen, teamwork has (for the most part) dwindled, and the game play mode in itself tends to promote solo play over team play. The level of coordination has dropped, and people are almost always off on their own with their mass of AI units on their six, attacking random cities, or plainly doing their own thing. Usually without any coordination or overall objective in mind. There used to be something different about TG, something that made playing ArmA here unique, but I don't feel it anymore.. It feels just like any public server you might join.

I'm not saying that we should be sticking with PvE; I would love more than anything to have some good TvT, but to me what made TacticalGamer unique was the level of coordination and teamplay we had. When we played, we had a chain of command, unique missions, and even the radio procedures we so (perhaps rudimentally) followed that made the experience here that much more... realistic? We have many community members who have designed various Co-Op and TvT maps that are far above what you'll find on any other server, and to me that is what made this game so much more enjoyable.

This brings me to my next point: Teamspeak vs. VON. To me, VON has further hampered teamwork and cooperative game play. I've found that we were typically better organized and games had am overall higher level of teamwork when we used Teamspeak. VON seems to discourage voice communication, which in itself discourages teamwork.

Am I missing something? Why do we only seem to play Warfare?
    Last edited by Kezei; 10-04-2009, 01:55 AM.

|TG-TFP|Kezei
    Ductus Exemplo

Re: Warfare, Co-Op, TvT and this community

While it's not a full answer, I get the feeling a part of the community, myself included, is "coasting" and waiting for the A2 version of the mods that made TG ArmA1 the experience it was. Not just ACE, but also the custom islands we used. Mostly, the lack of variety in A2 is what's making me wish those addons were available.

Warfare and company are idling missions (at TG, anyway). Just like the Domination server in A1, they provide something to play during most of the day when nobody's on, like ArmA elevator music. Whenever there are more than five people on the server Warfare is rarely the mode being played.

As for why people don't use teamwork during Warfare, I'd guess it's because, since it's an idling mission, the people joining just want to shoot things, not play in a team. They joined a mostly-empty server wanting to spend some time playing the game on their own and passing time, and the AI squads make it a less lonely experience. Also, people tend to shirk away from working as a team when they're already "in the groove" since, at least in my experience, trying to play cooperatively with a very small group is usually more frustrating and filled with trial-and-error combat than being on your own against an entire enemy army.

I'm actually glad the "off" server defaults to Warfare instead of Domination, since it doesn't have the annoying more-kills-more-vehicle-rights mechanic and even when you're off fighting for yourself you're benefiting our team.

Comment

Originally posted by Kezei View Post
      Forewarning: Wall of text.

Once we as a community switched to playing Warfare most of the time, I stopped playing. Perhaps i'm missing something that others aren't, but I found that once we did, we lost something that first attracted me to this community.

From what i've seen, teamwork has (for the most part) dwindled, and the game play mode in itself tends to promote solo play over team play. The level of coordination has dropped, and people are almost always off on their own with their mass of AI units on their six, attacking random cities, or plainly doing their own thing. Usually without any coordination or overall objective in mind. There used to be something different about TG, something that made playing ArmA here unique, but I don't feel it anymore.. It feels just like any public server you might join.

I'm not saying that we should be sticking with PvE; I would love more than anything to have some good TvT, but to me what made TacticalGamer unique was the level of coordination and teamplay we had. When we played, we had a chain of command, unique missions, and even the radio procedures we so (perhaps rudimentally) followed that made the experience here that much more... realistic? We have many community members who have designed various Co-Op and TvT maps that are far above what you'll find on any other server, and to me that is what made this game so much more enjoyable.

This brings me to my next point: Teamspeak vs. VON. To me, VON has further hampered teamwork and cooperative game play. I've found that we were typically better organized and games had am overall higher level of teamwork when we used Teamspeak. VON seems to discourage voice communication, which in itself discourages teamwork.

Am I missing something? Why do we only seem to play Warfare?
      Good Question and I too am looking for an answer because I agree 100% about what you said about warfare. If people like because people like controlling AI squads then I think there is a much better way to get the same experience, I for one have been contemplating making a company sized mission where players control squad sized units and are organized into platoons. When warfare is being played on the sever I am very much inclined not to join because it just isn't fun when there is zero teamwork little leadership and people just running around aimlessly in vehicles with large squads in tow.

As to your point on VON I have to disagree however I think I understand were your coming from. Recently the amount of discipline that has been exhibited on Von has been terrible. People think VON gives they the right to spam comms because they think they don't step on people like in TS which is not true, I don't know how many times we are briefing a mission particularly on command and have no less than five people step on everyone spamming side asking why no one is talking. However a well disciplined VON is 1000% better than TS and while it is true that there are some issues with it if the SL's can hear the PL and squad members can hear their SL on direct there is no problem. If people would just follow a few basic rules it would be much easier. First if your not the PL or a SL with an urgent message for the platoon stay off side channel. Secoundly PL and SL's should use command as much as possible. Third if your not a FTL or SL stay off group. And lastly, if you comment doesn't have anything to do with the mission, don't say it. If you want to BS do it via text. If people do this then everyones VON experience would be much better.

Comment

Warfare is a seeder mission. There's no specific need for an overarching commander and as such suits its purpose, which is simply to give players something to do while waiting for the server pop to increase.

If no admins are available and there's enough players in the server who wish to play something else, vote someone as a temporary admin and bring up the mission selection screen (type #missions into any channel).

Comment

Originally posted by Kezei View Post
          I agree. I try to play it but I always seem to have.... "crashes." If you know what I mean.
          |TG|Ghost02
          TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

I don't think people should just automatically shun warfare as soon as they see it go up, during at least the first half of the game today there was a lot of teamwork with Humvee convoys and such. Having some people come in the server and 10 seconds later start saying "warfare sux, change plz" is a bit unfair in my book.

In a world of Herp, one man dares to Derp.

Comment

Warfare can be very coordinated if a commander tries to take control. Most people just lonewolf because nobody is telling them what to do, however on some occasions nobody really wants to follow orders. This is usually during times when there is low pop (night in north america) and they don't want to play anything coordinated anyways.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
              In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Warfare is played in the exact same vein as Domination was for ArmA1, ie. in a capacity that both promotes teamwork and attracts enough players to warrant switching missions.

With regards to VoN, please take a look at the myriad other threads that are complaining about it. There are reasons it's been the de-facto communication method spanning over 2 years.

Comment

I agree 100percent. Stop with warfare unless there is 5 or less players. We should be concentrating on building our tvt base as I believe this is where we could become strongest. I did not join tg to control ai bots I joined in order to team up with professional team players. Now I see warfare up and running all the time and I don't even bother joining the server because I don't want to complain.
                  As for the Von I love it when proper radio procedure is used. This is rare though. I see way to many people using side chat. Then u got people spamming direct chat. The radio procedures in pr are 100 times more diciplined even with a full server.
                  Anywho... The main reason I haven't been playing lately is because of the new patch. My game performance has dminoshed terribly. 720 be with 8 gig ram and a 285gtx. Stutters even at low settings. B4 the patch when we were playing with the betas I was playing very high settings with 4 k view distance and it was smooth 25 to 35 fps. This games buggyness will b the death of it.

Comment

Arma elevator music, cctoide that's perfect.

Warfare is not my favorite to play either. I commanded the East team in Warfare while it was full yesterday. It was stressful. Maintaining any level of teamwork in Warfare is by far the most difficult thing to do. People don't understand the mechanics and quit as soon as they join (which just disbands a useful AI and all assets... maybe AI #12 was just about to take Gorka, did you ever think about that Mister-some-random-guy-that-joined-for-20-seconds-then-immediately-disconnected???). Really kept me stretched thin to manage the "pubbies" team.

I've tried to enjoy Warfare, I've gotten good at it, learned the mechanics, even learned the fundamentals of being a good commander, but I just don't like it much. It's just a personal opinion thing.

Domination with less than 10 people is actually kinda fun, and can actually be very team-oriented, however. Leaders need to step-up big time, though. Tell people to use the Status -> Team Settings to switch team and then USE your team. Mark waypoints. Plan an assault. Domination can be a never-ending coop if done properly, no different than many of the JIP/RESPAWN S&D missions we have on the server (think about it, blow up a radio tower and clear a town with the occasional counter attack, rescue, and convoy... sounds like 75% of the missions on the server, right?).

Once Domination gets big, though, then everyone has a 50 cal and a Javelin and it gets sort of stupid.

I guess I'm just agreeing with what everyone else said in about 1,000 more words. Use those modes to "seed" the server then get into a real game mode.

Comment

I just find it odd, that some people do not like a mission, but are "forced" to play it because that is where the other players are playing. I have yet to see both servers running Warfare at the same time, so until that happens on a regular basis any gripe against Warfare being played here is kind of unfounded. I do not like many missions, but I wouldn't complain about the majority of players playing one mission and not joining me on the other server for another. Happens all the time actually.

IF you see a mission you do not like on one server, join the other and seed it. If both servers have missions running you do not enjoy, but people already on the server do then I do not see why a complaint is necessary. As people have said, a lot of players are attracted to these types of missions and enjoy playing them so it makes it a great seed mission. However, some of those players actually enjoy them more than a standard COOP or TvT mission. That is why we have two servers, there is always another option.
                      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...