Sniping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniping

I read the SOP, but isn't sniping also team play? You have a scout who finds the enemy, and the sniper would keep in close contact with the leaders, informing them of enemies and the like. They could also drop high priority targets. (Note that I want to be a rifleman first). Just a question.

I did use the search function, and did not find that many hits.

Re: Sniping

If youve ever played on a non TG server youll notice eceryone is a sniper :D
    With no spotter. Alot of the mission that get run contain a sniper team but usually the CO has to OK it for usage. There are snipers, dont worry :)
    Nihility

Comment

Snipers have their place and often used with a spotter in a recon role or as a fire support platform directed by the Commander or SL. The concern with snipers is that since most missions are rather straightforward and not a campaign a small group of snipers can eliminate all infantry targets at range without every being threatened. While that sounds nice, in practice people play this game for enjoyment and that generally comes from getting engaged in firefights not hiding in a bush while a group of snipers does everything. You will find some excellent sniper missions exist, but in general snipers serve a specific role directed by the leader of the mission.
      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

One could argue that the presence of snipers forces the other team to be that much more tactically aware and coordinated. Of course I have yet to play the game so I'm not sure how difficult rooting out snipers or avoiding their fire with smoke and whatnot can be.

Comment

I'm certain in future missions, we can adopt the usages of the snipers in TvT environment or in Cooperative mode.
          Like the fellas above mentioned, its subjective and sometimes ruins gameplay for others if not utilized well/fairly.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Cid, infantry AI in ArmA is virtually unable to engage, or even recognize threats, at some ranges that snipers most definitely can and will fire from, and it is therein that the largest problem with them lies.

Although I have yet to see an adversarial mission with the option for long-range weaponry work successfully, in theory it would be much easier to adapt to than during a co-op campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
              Cid, infantry AI in ArmA is virtually unable to engage, or even recognize threats, at some ranges that snipers most definitely can and will fire from, and it is therein that the largest problem with them lies.

Although I have yet to see an adversarial mission with the option for long-range weaponry work successfully, in theory it would be much easier to adapt to than during a co-op campaign.
              Yeah, I was referring to players vs other players for the most part.

Comment

"KnowsAbout player" via trigger would enhance that.
                Also, OPFORs with optics generally target the players much faster than say guys with ironsights and no binoculars provided they are all in the same skill levels and rank.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post

Also, OPFORs with optics generally target the players much faster than say guys with ironsights and no binoculars provided they are all in the same skill levels and rank.
                  You sure about this? I did some tests on this as I was trying to get the AI to shoot at you from further out, but it showed almost no difference, maybe +/- 10m.

Comment

I think snipers are better oriented for tvt. It's there where eliminating officers/team leaders can be a big detriment to the other team.

Also, when a sniper drops one guy in tvt, the other guys around him don't tend to keep standing around like a couple of dumbfounded geese- they get into cover and use that human brain of theirs to avoid being the next guy shot! In coop, a single amateur sniper can take out a whole platoon or more before the AI figures out what the hell is going on. The AI simply doesn't react effectivley to them.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Well, I was just wondering about sniper because I could improve my shooting skill. Rifleman seems more fun from that perspective.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X