arma super rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arma super rig

its that time again for a little fall cleaning before Santa gets his fat ass off the Florida beach and pays me a visit :) (by the way 88 here tomorrow!) and im looking to beef up my rig a little.

i know this should go in the tech forum but i thought since its going to be an arma rig, i might as well get arma people to help out. i for sure want to get an ssd like longtime, but should i pull the trigger and upgrade now to the i7 line or wait for i7's to come down in price and upgrade to a better mobo (have nvidia 760i LT w/ quad OC to 3.1) and upgrade in cooling (liquid) to push my quad more?

how do you think nvidia is going to handle dx11? i haven't been able to use my 37" vizio plasma to game because of limitations with current card (gts 250 oc'd to 767) and want to really build a killer rig.

i could go really super geeky and try and get those jordy headset thing from star trek where it projects a 60" screen and then get track ir!!!!

but i would love to here some wisdom my mouth is drooling for an upgrade

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Re: arma super rig

If you get a headset, some of them have inbuilt head tracking, which is probably better than trying to use that plus TrackIR.

I'm currently running a GTX 285 at 1920x1200 on max settings with AA on 8 so if you just want good performance on ArmA2 you can get it with current generation cards.

I'm not really up on nVidia's DX11 offerings but the new ATI cards supporting 6 screens sound pretty nifty.
    "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, sweat and tears"

Comment

You might want to check this out too.

VR Game Gun.
      h t t p : / / w w w . coolest-gadgets.com/20090831/game-gun-preorder/#more-29958
      sigpic

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Comment

From what I've read the next gen Nvidia cards should be epic. I've read a minimum clock of 675 Mhz GPU and 1 Gb of ram. Of course ATi said their latest offering, the 5870, would shoot for the moon and it's only about 20% better than a 295 GTX.

I'm waiting for Nvidia's new cards which by all accounts should be out by mid-november. Even if they aren't all that great they should bring prices on all cards down.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Nvidia's had some rocky performance business-wise recently -- they've just announced that they've shut down production of all of their high-end card models (260-285) because they can't afford it. Something to keep in mind.

As far as i7 goes, I'd recommend waiting for the price to drop a wee bit more, as right now they're hovering just inside the realm of fantasy. Liquid cooling could help, but be careful overclocking your current CPU.

Playing ArmA on a 37" TV is going to present a major resolution problem -- obviously, you won't be able to fit a resolution to that screen that is playable. Whatever your choice of next-gen card is, buy a mid-line model and then double (or triple!) it. Crossfire/SLI have very little purpose outside beefing up your resolution, so at least they'll come into play on such a large display.

Comment

Well, knowing your budget is a good place to start ;)
            Don't want to start suggesting things that push you over the top too much.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
            In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
              Nvidia's had some rocky performance business-wise recently -- they've just announced that they've shut down production of all of their high-end card models (260-285) because they can't afford it. Something to keep in mind.
              I thought they shut it down so they could start producing the new line of cards.

Now way ATi could have won the video card war.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

I wouldn't do the i7, your Quad core is fine and the money is just too high for the small benefit.

I would reach fairly high up for a video card (I usually say one step down from the top-of-the-line). I also heard that more cards will be released in Nov, so if you can hold off for one more month then maybe the current tip top card will be in the one-from-the-top category (and price).

SSD makes a huge difference. Best $300+ I ever spent. Improves everything your computer does, not just Arma.

There's a thread in the BIS forum about putting all of Arma 2 onto a RAMdisk (you need about 8.5GB of free RAM to do that). RAMdisk is even faster than an SSD by 10x so if you wanted to get insane and your motherboard can handle it, you could buy some RAM and go nuts. ( http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=88388 )

I love my TrackIR. Too much fun. Worth the money.

No idea about the Jordy visor. Are you talking about 3d graphics? Don't you have to buy a special 120hz monitor for that?

As for the 37" TV... I play on a 42" LCD (my main TV is also my computer display). I have two 8800GTX in SLI also, which isn't bad... but one 285GTX will wipe the floor with my video rig. Your 250GTS is fairly weak. The difference between a GTS and a GTX is significant.

My TV does a native resolution of 1360x768, which is 16:9 (only slightly higher than a typical 4:3 monitor). I'm assuming your TV has a VGA input just like a computer monitor ( 15 pins and looks like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector ). When I increase the 3D Resolution in Arma 2 to 200% (which is gorgeous) then yes, it stresses ALL the hardware (including the hard drive). I couldn't do that resolution until I had an SSD. My point is, with a decent video card and no hard drive bottleneck, you can crank up the resolution and smile.

Enjoy your shopping. Err, I mean, your discussion with Santa.
                Last edited by 1longtime; 10-23-2009, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sc[ + ]pe View Post
                  As far as i7 goes, I'd recommend waiting for the price to drop a wee bit more, as right now they're hovering just inside the realm of fantasy. Liquid cooling could help, but be careful overclocking your current CPU.

Playing ArmA on a 37" TV is going to present a major resolution problem -- obviously, you won't be able to fit a resolution to that screen that is playable. Whatever your choice of next-gen card is, buy a mid-line model and then double (or triple!) it. Crossfire/SLI have very little purpose outside beefing up your resolution, so at least they'll come into play on such a large display.
                  so then does that mean an upgrade in mobo? im willing to shell out the money for longjevity...i can just turn this one into my home server when i upgrade to the i7 line.....

my budget is around a grand for the upgrade process

the visor is not 3d... it just projects and tricks your eyes into thinking there is a 60" screen in front of you
                  Last edited by Jack Bauer; 10-23-2009, 04:04 PM. Reason: waahoooo!!!!! 1000 post!!!!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

I really think your mobo and Quad core are fine. We have identical mobos and CPUs, and I find my CPU is never pegged over 80% anyway. If you owned a slow CPU then I would understand... but you're already close to the top.

Video card, SSD, TrackIR. (In my opinion, that's the order I would purchase).

Still no idea about the visor, but I can tell you that your 37" will work just fine with a stronger video card. My 42" is great. With an SSD you can bump up the ingame resolution too. Welcome to Awesome Town, Population: You.

Hey, a thousand posts! Wow!

Comment

well then since video is out of the question till mid november...possibly xmas... looks like the ssd for sure and trackIR.

do you think that the newer cards will have hdmi output? supposedly there is not a lot of degradation of signal strength when converting dvi to hdmi...since dvi is simply hdmi without the sound.

i do have another q for you..... i tested with the 37" and it seemed that there was about an 3/4" off screen. i went into my nvidia control panel and resized my resolution, still no joy. the reason this is a bummer is that i use the gmj adjustable sights and i cant read my MOA cause it is just off screen do you know any fixes for this??

Comment

Originally posted by 1longtime View Post
                        When I increase the 3D Resolution in Arma 2 to 200% (which is gorgeous)...
                        Do you mean setting the resolution to 2x the native resolution of the monitor? And is that what people are referring to when talking about 'fill rate'?
                        Seeken

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
                          do you think that the newer cards will have hdmi output? supposedly there is not a lot of degradation of signal strength when converting dvi to hdmi...since dvi is simply hdmi without the sound.

i do have another q for you..... i tested with the 37" and it seemed that there was about an 3/4" off screen. i went into my nvidia control panel and resized my resolution, still no joy. the reason this is a bummer is that i use the gmj adjustable sights and i cant read my MOA cause it is just off screen do you know any fixes for this??
                          Oh, so your TV doesn't have a VGA input? Sorry, I'm not sure I can answer your question then... I think running to DVI/HDMI will have a reduced quality due to conversion, and no idea about re-sizing issues... I'm just guessing though. Sorry, I don't have any experience with HDMI/DVI out.

My TV works just like a monitor, it even uses the same cables to the video card as a computer monitor (with the 15-pin VGA). TVs with a VGA port usually cost a bit more money. HDMI and DVI plugs on the back of my TV are used only to my non-computer equipment (cable box and DVD player, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Seeken View Post
                            Do you mean setting the resolution to 2x the native resolution of the monitor? And is that what people are referring to when talking about 'fill rate'?
                            Yes, under the Video Options it is shown with respect to your native resolution with a percentage next to it in a drop-down, and it's labeled "3D Resolution." It used to be called "fill rate" in an earlier Arma 2 version. You will see it like this:

680x384 50%
                            906x512 67%
                            ...etc...
                            2040x1152 150%
                            2720x1536 200%

Your numbers will vary depending on your native resolution, but your percentages will be the same. The highest number will be 200%.

200% if freaking gorgeous. However, I promise you won't be able to play with that resolution without an SSD and a very strong video card setup. You will probably get less than 5 frames per second without an SSD because of the hard disk activity required for the HUGE textures at 200%.

It is the most eye-candy-licious stuff ever though, which is why I love my SSD and my reasonably good SLI setup (two 8800gtx).

Comment

I'm really excited today because I'm waiting for my 2nd Radeon 5870 to get here. I should be able to get some impressive visuals out of the game since I can already run it near max settings at native resolution of 1920x1200.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X