BlackHawk Down mission on Alpha Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackHawk Down mission on Alpha Server

I just wanted to apologize to my squad mates for my lack luster performance tonight on the Alpha Server. I was Bravo Squad Leader, I think it was a little pre-mature of myself. I never new how hard it was trying to keep your men under you in check, plus listening to command and the other squads talking to command. Things just got so chaotic I just couldn't keep up. There literally came a point where I just had no clue what was going on even though I had a map and was briefed. I had men in separate Humvee's, etc. I had men who were asking me for orders and I really didn't know what to tell them, because I didn't really have a clear picture what was going on. All in all I just wanted to apologize to whom ever was in my squad and to Command.... I think I will wait a bit before trying to command a squad... Honestly do not know how Jack Bauer handles all the squads...its insane.

Hattori

Re: BlackHawk Down mission on Alpha Server

At least you stepped up to lead. Mistakes are part of the game. Try your hand some more at a Fire Team Leader role. You did rather well at it the other night.

I personally do not like squad leading but do it out of necessity.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Yeah thanks spyder.... Fireteam lead was relatively easy... I have 2 to 3 guys and I only have to listen to one person giving orders. And it seems that the orders I get are easy, hey guard this section, watch the south. Easy for me to get my guys under me to do that. Having to listen to command, and listen to the other squads talk to command, while commanding my squad was to much for me at this point. I think I am going to try and not do that again for a bit:)

Hattori

Comment

dude have no fear.... ive only been playing this game for about two SOLID weeks now... i was told the best way to learn is underfire!! you can now use that experiance that you had and learn from it. if your that confused hold wherever you are, and demand your troups one you, your there SL, they follow you. then check in with the CO.... he cant get made if your all together :)

that lead was rough on me too...first time on that mission my self.... now that i know sort of what to expect i am going to approach it differently i loved the Humvee column that i had charley lead make.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Hey Hattori I think you did fine. When I asked you a question you quickly responded with an answer. Just to let you know I was Gavin in game. Thanks for the wonderful gaming experience and leadership.
          Air-Mech-Strike 3D Maneuver Warfare

"What matters in war is VICTORY, not prolonged operations, however brilliantly executed."
          -Sun Tzu

Comment

If you're interested, Hattori, contact me, and I'll help you out with some basics on how to handle the squad lead role. I love the position myself. I like the chaos, ya know? Adds more to the game, I think, hearing all that radio banter, and then having to receive orders and reports going both ways.
            Three bits of advice, two of which are thoroughly and completely connected:
            One, and most important. Do not micromanage unless absolutely necessary. Trust and rely on your fireteam leaders, and ensure that you have a reliable team leader that can take your role if necessary for five or ten minutes to enable you to stare at the map like a blithering fool.

Two: Trust and rely on your fireteam leaders, and alternatively pick fireteam leaders on which you can trust and rely. I'm not quite sure I've made this point well enough yet, because it's absolutely integral that you trust and rely on your fireteam leaders, given that trusting and relying on your fireteam leaders is the key to success as a squadleader. It's physically impossible for a squadleader to individually lead every man in the sqaud, and as such, any attempt to do so (even and especially if it's successful) turns a sqaud into one giant cluster##% as opposed to three very effective combat groups. Which are led by the fireteam leaders on who you must trust and rely.

Three: Important to everybody, especially command, learn to filter your radio traffic and shut your men up when they need shutting up. As such, remember that you are also one of someone else's men, and need to shut up at times. Keep radio traffic short and concise, and anytime you hear any sort of message, put it into your mental picture of the map. Never hesitate to ask "Say again your last?" as the difference in a stupid question and an unasked stupid question is the difference between ridicule and the deaths of everyone in your command, respectively.

Oh yeah. Rely on your fireteam leaders, by the way.

EDIT:

Never apologize. That's part of military bearing. All the idiots who think real military men are just a bunch of stuck up snobs who can never admit they're wrong, well, they're right. If you admit you're wrong in a leadership role, you've not only undermined your men's faith in you, but your own faith in yourself. Well, let me rephrase here. It's okay, in fact it's NECESSARY, to accept responsibility for what you've done, and thus, you must admit a mistake in order to learn from it. And it's just plain the right thing to do. To apologize for it, however, means that you are in fact regretful of committing to an action, and that you may, in fact, hesitate in the future to make such command decisions as the one that you apologized for, regardless of the two decisions being different (probably), and regardless of your latter decision being most likely the correct one. This will cause you to doubt yourself, that's never good.

So keep your bearing, speak to your men with picked words. (Um, yeah, and okay are not acceptable.) Be professional, be concise, be clear, and think about what you say before you say it. And don't BS with your sqaudmembers. With your fireteam leaders, maybe. But don't joke with or make friends with your squadmembers. That's not your job, it takes time, and it undermines discipline. Enforce that discipline with a heavy hand, and never ever ever show favorites. If you adhere to these things, you can lead a sqaud effectively, regardless of how little or much you know about such petty things as tactics, military customs and courtesies, etc. You can learn those on the way, so long as you conquer the actual leading aspect. And judging by your report, I'd say that you've got the general idea of things, and you'll make a fine sqaudleader in the very near future.
            Next time we're playing, if I have a sqaudlead, I promise you, you'll have a fireteam lead, and I promise you, I'll ensure that you learn how to lead a squad by the end of the night. Every man should be recognized for his willingness to lead, and those that may shall have their rewards in my humble opinion. Any man that says to the contrary I will systematically find and kill.

To make a long story short, it always seems like you did worse than you really did. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, but that's normal anyway. Good job stepping up, and we'll all work with you the best we can to ensure that you achieve your desired leadership positions.
            Last edited by BarnesBL0278; 10-29-2009, 06:09 AM. Reason: A damn good one.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." - R. E. Lee

Comment

you did good hattori also sorry i had to quit it was late for me
              and i was dozing off sat at my computer
              To talk to me or just hurl Abuse my way get me on Xfire:Hashass1n

I can't read, can't write, can't be an officer -NCO of the Vistula Uhlans Jan Pawlikowski

Mute since the universe began

Comment

Originally posted by Hattori View Post
                I just wanted to apologize to my squad mates for my lack luster performance tonight on the Alpha Server. I was Bravo Squad Leader, I think it was a little pre-mature of myself. I never new how hard it was trying to keep your men under you in check, plus listening to command and the other squads talking to command. Things just got so chaotic I just couldn't keep up. There literally came a point where I just had no clue what was going on even though I had a map and was briefed. I had men in separate Humvee's, etc. I had men who were asking me for orders and I really didn't know what to tell them, because I didn't really have a clear picture what was going on. All in all I just wanted to apologize to whom ever was in my squad and to Command.... I think I will wait a bit before trying to command a squad... Honestly do not know how Jack Bauer handles all the squads...its insane.

Hattori
                it wasn't easy especially when people talk over each other, the best thing in these situations is to continue with objective and focus on squad survival, i know it's easier said than done, but don't worry about it, you did a great job. By the way i had to quit due to this, sorry.

Can't post url but go to youtube and search for this videoid MHWU0FbNp
                sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse
                let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

Comment

Hattori i was all ok with ur lead.
                  As I don't need that 101% Real-Life drill. But I'm also ok with it.

What u guys say is all correct. But remember it's a game.

Did I missunderstood the TG way?
                  In my opinion, for a noob'ish player, it's about
                  - dont disturb the game
                  - follow your leader
                  - support your squad
                  - try to learn

But I dont wanna get shot if I take a squad lead and I am not talking ALL that real life military slang.
                  For me it's about the organized battle, no matter which "slang" you use.

At all I also have to say, TG have not been rude on mistakes to me yet.

WHAT I DISLIKE IS...sometimes there come TG-Tagwearers later into the game.
                  They force me to give up squad lead and hand it to them (ok, im not angry bout that).
                  But 10mins later, the pilot slot gets opened up and he switches to his next PREFFERED position. So we had another squad lead (4 different squad leads during that mission)

That means, I think some players, hopping to their preffered slots, forcing others to get off of it.

Sooooooo....yesterday on ALPHA, the last mission was really really great.
                  But before that, it was just a mess in my opinion.
                  There was no real game going for 1 hour.

Result of this is.... BRAVO Server behaved better than ALPHA Server. That is bad.

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I should clarify that I apologize for my lack of GOOD leadership and general all around competence. One thing I did horribly wrong was not making fire teams....Wow duh!! Next time that will be my first priority. I definitely would take any advice, training your willing to give Barnes, it would be much appreciated. Well I look forward to taking a command role next time, but I think I will stick to fire team lead as my first choice for a couple more sorties to get some more experience under my belt. Again thanks for sticking with it all those in mission last night. Next time will be better!

Hattori

Comment

Originally posted by dga View Post
                      sometimes there come TG-Tagwearers later into the game.
                      They force me to give up squad lead and hand it to them (ok, im not angry bout that).
                      But 10mins later, the pilot slot gets opened up and he switches to his next PREFFERED position. So we had another squad lead (4 different squad leads during that mission)

That means, I think some players, hopping to their preffered slots, forcing others to get off of it.
                      I wasn't present during this gaming session, but TG standard procedure is typically a) someone volunteers to perform as the Commanding Officer and b) the CO calls/selects the slotting from there.

The CO can act as the final word in such case, and does have the right to request a particular player in a particular slot (leader slot or pilot slot).

I can see how that may open up some opportunities for abuse, but COs don't often call the slots, and when they do it's usually for a good reason (ie-- on Bravo with alot of unknown players acting erratically).

This would be the first time I've heard anyone mentioning it on the forums, so thanks for the feedback. COs should be aware that we may have new-ish players that are very capable leaders and/or pilots, so give everyone a chance to play different roles. I think we can all go from there.

Comment

I agree with Longtime on this. You never know what kind of leaders are just lurking. Could be the next Patton.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." - R. E. Lee

Comment

Hey Hattori I was the CO for that mission and I think you did a very good job. That mission went to hell fast and you managed to keep a cool head. I was having to pop asprin every 10 seconds just to keep from beating my head on a wall. What had happend was the Server started to lag and alot of the leadership got disconnected and that lead to anarchy. I was talking to SL's that were no longer there and everyone was trying to talk to me on every channel under the sun. I am glad that you stepped up and helped me get the mission back on track. But its true the best way to learn is just to do. I lead a round and usually after I ask everyone how I did, was I clear with my orders etc. I personally want to thank you for taking charge of your guys and helping to FINALLY finish the mission. I commend your efforts and I look forward to having the privilage of commanding you again or even being a member of your fire team. Don't doubt yourself. Only in our darkest hours do we rise to be hero's.

By the way if you are on with me again I will make sure you have a fire team with a good squad leader. And If you have any questions I am here to help. Please pick my brain. I will answer every little question you have, and if I don't know the answer I will find out for you. If you want I will be a SL and you can be my Team Leader. I will get you trained up that much I promise you.
                          Last edited by Dredge; 10-30-2009, 10:30 AM. Reason: Additional Thoughts

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Agree Longtime. I should correct that it was not THOSE TG-Members, but ONE ;)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X