Arma2 and Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arma2 and Linux

as you may know, BIS has released the Linux server files, i'm interested to play and try the game on a Linux server, my question to Tactical Gamer, would you at least try it!

Thanks,
    sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse
    let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

Re: Arma2 and Linux

Short answer: No

Long answer: The TG arma servers are based on a windows box as your probably aware. To set up a linux server would mean getting a new box, uploading 8gb of arma2 files to it, then configuring it to behave exactly like the current servers. This would be far too much work for the admin team as well as the higher ups who would need to get the linux box set up before allowing us to have our way with it.
    Would be nice however to have a linux box but atm it's just not viable.

Your not alone tho in wanting a linux box ;)

Comment

The advantages don't outweigh the work required I imagine. I have a box onsite and it will still be a pain, maybe when I know I have 2 days alone with it I might give it a look. :)

(FYI this is for my own server)

Comment

Thanks InFire, I didn't realize they released the Linux binary! Nice!

Comment

I think the biggest problem with the Linux binaries is that they are released way behind the Windows ones. I have no idea how badly BIS has set up their build system to not be able to generate binaries for all platforms simultaneously, but in Arma1 there was always a huge delay between the Windows (beta) servers and the Linux servers. And as we all know, it always helped to use the beta stuff. So maybe running Windows boxes is not the worst thing (in the case of Arma2).

Comment

Originally posted by bert View Post
            I think the biggest problem with the Linux binaries is that they are released way behind the Windows ones. I have no idea how badly BIS has set up their build system to not be able to generate binaries for all platforms simultaneously, but in Arma1 there was always a huge delay between the Windows (beta) servers and the Linux servers. And as we all know, it always helped to use the beta stuff. So maybe running Windows boxes is not the worst thing (in the case of Arma2).
            BIS has said that it's more difficult than we think to port the server files over to Linux builds. Since I have no clue what it really takes to accomplish that, I'll just have to take their word for it.

I'm just happy they finally did it!

Comment

i haven't configured nor installed a server (windows/Linux) before but i have installed Linux in a box on a separate harddrive! would that be possible? we should take advantage of the Linux support.
              sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse
              let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X