online game lag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• online game lag

Has anyone been experiencing the stuttering and skipping of units when playing on TG servers? last night it was very bad that made it so difficult to kill enemy infinity! this wasn't the first time happening! i joined a different sever "Spartan" to make sure it's not client hardware/internet related issues and the gameplay was very smooth! it's very discouraging! can you fix it?

Thanks.
    sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse
    let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

Re: online game lag

Server may need a restart. Either the instance or the whole box. I did this the other day with Alpha and performance greatly improved. It's just hard sometimes to kick people off the server if they have a good mission running.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
      Server may need a restart. Either the instance or the whole box. I did this the other day with Alpha and performance greatly improved. It's just hard sometimes to kick people off the server if they have a good mission running.
      i hear yea, during the mission it doesn't make sense but if we do it between missions because really how good a mission with stuttering/skipping present. My ping to the server has always been between 34-63.
      sigpic

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 9.11 | Windows 7 7100 64 | RAID 0 640GB | TrackIR 5 | Saitek Cyborg Evo Wireless | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

Comment

Yesterday we also had 50+ people on Bravo at one time, which was clearly too much for the server in that mission. No matter what ping you had it desynced.

Comment

i see, maybe TG should throw an old box with Linux server "a lot cheaper".
          sigpic

Comment

I doubt it'd help. I remember a few Linux vs. Windows comparisons from Arma1, and the difference in performance was negligible. Iirc the best performance came with Windows XP actually.

edit: The performance comparison
            Last edited by Fincuan; 11-02-2009, 03:34 PM.

Comment

the servers have been set up on windows, and they will stay that way. Big C spent a long time perfecting the servers to get the best out of them.

Its mainly a bandwidth issue when so many players join at the same time. The server struggles to send each player the necessary data. The best thing you can do is stop complaining and sit it out. Once the server catches up on it self you will find it runs alot smoother

Comment

Originally posted by browna3 View Post
                the servers have been set up on windows, and they will stay that way. Big C spent a long time perfecting the servers to get the best out of them.

Its mainly a bandwidth issue when so many players join at the same time. The server struggles to send each player the necessary data. The best thing you can do is stop complaining and sit it out. Once the server catches up on it self you will find it runs alot smoother
                sorry to disappoint you but last night character skipping was non stop. I'm not complaining but bringing up the issue at hand.

P.S. i apologize for discussing this issue in two threads, admin please feel free to delete this one if needed.
                sigpic

Comment

I wander around TG A1 and A2 servers for almost 2 years, and i can remeber only one or two nights were the lag was a real issue... and i play from Brazil, which is a "just a little" further away than canada... ping is always around 140 and the desync varies with everyone.

If the problem persist, do a traceroute to the server IP and find out where is the problem (Start/Run and type tracert 64.34.178.169). I found out that my ping goes up around 140ms still in Brazil... damn cheap infrastructure...

Comment

A good thing for game admins to check is server FPS, if its below 10, enormous multiplayer lag will ensue. I'm from Australia, and with 40 people on a heavy mission, it does not lag; that's probably a good indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorvete View Post
                      I wander around TG A1 and A2 servers for almost 2 years, and i can remeber only one or two nights were the lag was a real issue... and i play from Brazil, which is a "just a little" further away than canada... ping is always around 140 and the desync varies with everyone.

If the problem persist, do a traceroute to the server IP and find out where is the problem (Start/Run and type tracert 64.34.178.169). I found out that my ping goes up around 140ms still in Brazil... damn cheap infrastructure...
                      thanks for the suggestion, do i need to open up ports? maybe there is an issue with my linksys router? you guys think that i'm making this up but next time i will take a video to see yourself. Could be my ISP throttling down my bandwidth?

I will try the tracert and post back.
                      P.S i wouldn't have raised this up had it been a minor lag.

I googled online game lag and it looks like lot of people are complaining about online games on windows 7, i'm going to test on xp tonight.
                      Last edited by InFireBaptize; 11-03-2009, 12:38 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by InFireBaptize View Post
                        thanks for the suggestion, do i need to open up ports? maybe there is an issue with my linksys router? you guys think that i'm making this up but next time i will take a video to see yourself. Could be my ISP throttling down my bandwidth?

I will try the tracert and post back.
                        P.S i wouldn't have raised this up had it been a minor lag.

I googled online game lag and it looks like lot of people are complaining about online games on windows 7, i'm going to test on xp tonight.
                        Dont know nothing about win7... im a stubborn XP user lol... maybe u need a different setup for your router... dunno... but google does :)

I doubt your ISP is throttling your bandwidth... or u'll be experiencing the same lag on any server. And they most throttle down P2P and Torrent traffic only. Anyway, if u want to test it, there you go http://dotnetwizard.net/misc/glasnos...g-p2p-traffic/

As for the tracert, just type tracert and the IP, u dont need to type in the ports.

Comment

Dont know nothing about win7... im a stubborn XP user lol... maybe u need a different setup for your router... dunno... but google does :)

I doubt your ISP is throttling your bandwidth... or u'll be experiencing the same lag on any server. And they most throttle down P2P and Torrent traffic only. Anyway, if u want to test it, there you go http://dotnetwizard.net/misc/glasnos...g-p2p-traffic/

As for the tracert, just type tracert and the IP, u dont need to type in the ports.
                          ok, i just went home for lunch "live 10 mints from home :-)" tried the tracert and it took 35mm to complete.
                          I have also forwarded alpha and bravo ports and reset few settings to factory default on the router. I will play the game tonight and see, then switch back to xp and see the difference.
                          sigpic

Comment

Speaking of lag... I decided to make a traceroute myself and got quite peculiar results:

Tracing route to tacticalgamer1.wolfservers.com [64.34.178.169]
                            over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 2 ms 1 ms h79-138-112-3.static.se.alltele.net [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
                            2 * 3 ms 1 ms 230.net97.skekraft.net [213.199.97.230]
                            3 6 ms 1 ms <1 ms gw-dmz-skelleftea.ac-net.net [80.88.97.129]
                            4 9 ms 4 ms 4 ms te-2-4-hr2.skelleftea.ac-net.se [80.88.96.49]
                            5 5 ms * 12 ms te-1-1-hr1.robertsfors.ac-net.se [80.88.96.229]
                            6 4 ms 4 ms 5 ms gi-3-1-hr2.umea.ac-net.se [80.88.96.146]
                            7 3 ms 4 ms 4 ms gi-3-1-ir1.umea.ac-net.se [80.88.96.145]
                            8 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms gi-3-1-ir1.skelleftea.ac-net.se [80.88.96.178]
                            9 7 ms 5 ms 6 ms Gi6-0-404-cty-pe2.ume.se.sn.net [62.95.47.1]
                            10 41 ms 41 ms 43 ms linx-gw1.peer1.net [195.66.224.156]
                            11 * * * Request timed out.
                            12 * * * Request timed out.
                            13 * * * Request timed out.
                            14 * * * Request timed out.
                            15 * * * Request timed out.
                            16 134 ms 134 ms 133 ms tacticalgamer1.wolfservers.com [64.34.178.169]

Trace complete.
                            The bouncing in the start is the university's network for the local campus and bigger university system. Up until I hit linx-gw1.peer1.net (which is a USA-sited IP) my ping is perfectly fine, but between that and the TG server my ping triples and we have the 5 timeouts. I did 5 traceroutes and the result is the same every time.

I'm no good at networking so I can't really tell the causes or effects, but it seems odd to me that getting back and forth inside Sweden and then trans-Atlantic is twice as fast as from on US IP address to another.

Comment

Remember though we had a sudden skyrocket
                              in newbies (two of which opened fire on the SF
                              team with MG's) also i think our server made it to the top
                              of the list which made other non tg gamers
                              join as it was almost full

and the lag was caused by lots of people joing at once
                              To talk to me or just hurl Abuse my way get me on Xfire:Hashass1n

I can't read, can't write, can't be an officer -NCO of the Vistula Uhlans Jan Pawlikowski

Mute since the universe began

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X